Dutch ovens at the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've done a steamed sponge in a dutch oven.
I put the mix into a bowl and poured water around it, then put it into the coals.
As long as it doesn't go dry you should be fine.

If you could support the pudding basin off the bottom of the DO, on a trivet or some such, it would probably be ok even if it did boil dry - the DO could cope with the heat and the pudding would bake.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I hope this link works. If it does it leads to a good video showing temperature control and also leads to further vids with some good recipes. Well that one didn't work. Lets see if this one does. It's the intro video and leads to the rest.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2iG4aMKBCQ

Yeah that one worked. Part 2 is basic recipes and temperature control. Part 3 and further are more advanced recipes and cooking.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This could be great fun :D I like the idea of the curries and chillies etc

Our cousin in Canada is in a Dutch Oven cooking team that does competitions in Canada and the US, I tried to get her over but cost way too much, what you can do with a Dutch Oven is amazing...

Any more?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just a bump on this thread :D

This could work out to be something that we all enjoy so don't be shy in bringing your dutch ovens and knocking something up that we can all put into the communal tasting pot when we have the hangi evening (probably Monday or Tuesday.....)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm not going to have time to bump this again so remember remember to bring your Dutch Ovens and cook up something that we can all share in, if enough of us do it there will be plenty as tasters for people especially with everything coming out of the Hangi.

I'm thinking of doing this on the Monday night, Hangi, DO's etc

If you fancy cooking anything a differnt way to contribute then go for it, it doesn't have to be a dutch oven, it's the joining in that counts more than anything else...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE