Dutch oven on my Christmas list, but which one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jackdaw

Have just handed over the Christmas list to the better half and apart from a raised eyebrow all seemed to be going well until she asked "Where am I supposed to get a dutch oven from?"

So, that's the premise for this topic... which one?

Have looked around and am starting to think that I would like an 8lt one but can be persuaded otherwise.

Yours,

Jack

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
If you're cooking for a large crew 8ltr is good but if it's for just 2-4 people maybe 6 at a push then a 4lt is perfectly adequate. I think Ronnie Sunshines is one of the cheapest suppliers.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I have the 4ltr (which does ok and can feed 4 to 6) but if I could buy again I would go for a 6ltr, it give a bit more room when the food is boiling.
8ltr is a beast and would only get one of them if ur planning on cooking for a lot of people.

T.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have the 4ltr but in reality i should of got the 6ltr. What i might do is add another 4ltr one that way i i can do my meat seperate to the veg.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a 4 ltr and an 8 ltr

Buy the 8 ltr

Have you ever thought "I wish I had a smaller cooker"?

Have you ever thought "I wish I had a bigger cooker"?

You aren't going to be backpacking with it.

Size does matter. Bigger is best

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have the 4 litre one and for 80% of cooking its fine think stews, chillis etc makes plenty, however i believe it would be too small to a do a roast chicken for example yet alone all the trimmings around it. So given the choice id go bigger as stated because they are heavy regardless may as well take a monster...Mine was free so i dont quibble too much.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have a couple of dutch ovens the best duty ones are good but the Lodge brand are better quality and defo go for a bigger size .Amazon do the Lodge ovens.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lodge is the best still being made. But if you can find an old Wagner you'll be happier.

As far size, as has been said go large (and preferably deep walled) You can "cook" enough for 2 or 3 people in a small one; soups, stews, etc. BUT! You cain't really use a smaller one as an "oven." And that's where they really excell.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'd also say go bigger, that way you can chuck in the birds and spuds all together!

what do these cooking pots offer than standard large cooking containers don't? You can get large aluminium cook sets pretty cheap, is it something to do with the heat of a camp fire melting a standard one..?

they do look quite nice, traditonal and all that.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
They offer steadier and more even heat retention. And the design of a true dutch oven (with tri legs to keep it over the coals and a flat flanged lid to hold more coals on top) make it usable as an oven. Also the flat lid can be inverted over the coals and be used as a griddle. The next advantage is that sevearl can be stacked (with a layer of coals between them.

This link is to the introduction video from the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife; it will give further links to DO cooking: www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2iG4aMKBCQ

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If your at at all accident prone or just like more robust kit I can't recomend the spun steel bush ovens these folks make enough

http://www.southern-metal-spinners.com.au/camping-page.html

I've had the 10 and 15 inchers for a number of years and they are no harder to learn to use than a normal cast dutch oven. Since the ashes/coals are evenly spread out under and over it the supposed better heat spreading capablity of cast iron is irrelevant in actaul use. A inverted pizza tray, the sort with holes in it works fine as a trivet for the 15 incher and another with nuts and bolts to make legs means that you can bake two trays at a time of small stuff.

The lids, which supposedly you can use as frying pans, have really deep rims that means you can both pile up the embers and also stops them blowing off as easily. I have used the lid inverted as bakestones, which works well if they are well greased.

The only downer is getting them to the UK. I was lucky enough to have a mate who lived near the factory at the time who wanted a Mini part so we ended up swapping for them and sent by sea the cost wasn't horrendous.

Hillbilly camping gear also make a similar product but I can't say what their ovens are like since I only have one of their comedy sized frying pans with the folding handle.

http://www.campingwithhillbilly.com/campovens.php

The quality of the frying pans very good I can say that, solid, like.

No connection to either company just a happy user.

ATB

Tom

PS a pair of old welders gauntlets are a very handy thing to have with this sort of oven, as is a dedicated ash shovel, the sort of cheap stamped job your granny had for the hearth but with a wooden extension added, some pound shops still have them.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE