Duluth Bushcrafter Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Shewie
That pack looks great. I'm off to see how much they are. I'm going to try the sleep mat trick next time I'm out.
Alan

$370 (not sure US or Canadian) from BCNW either way its outside my buying power by a long way. Shame.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie
That pack looks great. I'm off to see how much they are. I'm going to try the sleep mat trick next time I'm out.
Alan

$370 (not sure US or Canadian) from BCNW either way its outside my buying power by a long way. Shame.

Ouch !

The mat thing is good, I've always done it since my backpacking days. You don't really notice any space loss inside your pack either.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Nice post.

Call me sad and/or misguided if you will but the problem here is one of aesthetics:

You go to all that trouble and expense to track-down a usable retro styled piece of kit and then, not content with backwoods inspired canvas and leather, they graft on BLACK nylon webbing and plastic fixtures!:aargh4:

I see how the compression system works that much easier than leather & buckle but surely the designer could have at least envisaged brown webbing and matching quick release fasteners??

On a positive note I prefer the central location of the axe sleeve over that of the Bison Bushcraft version as it that much further from a right shoulder-slung rifle. Clearly though not everyone has this particular concern!

Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You go to all that trouble and expense to track-down a usable retro styled piece of kit and then, not content with backwoods inspired canvas and leather, they graft on BLACK nylon webbing and plastic fixtures!:aargh4:

I did wonder that myself :confused:

Surely leather straps and buckles would work just aswell, or maybe some D rings with a clever folded strap setup.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I like it. I like the design and the practical application of space on the outside. Thats one of the deciding factors for me, the outside space. Its an expensive pack but not much more so that a sabre 75 with all the trimmings. I'll be looking into this further

Cheers for the heads up Rich

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have to confess that Her Majesty's Customs and Excise are sitting on one I ordered recently. When I've taken delivery of it and recovered from the duty and VAT charges, I'll see if I can't post a review of it.

BCNW and Mike Lummio are a good outfit. I have one of his knives and, although it's a bhunk of clunking 4mm 01, the blade size and shape are excellent.

I have no affiliation - I'm just a happy customer.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have to confess that Her Majesty's Customs and Excise are sitting on one I ordered recently. When I've taken delivery of it and recovered from the duty and VAT charges, I'll see if I can't post a review of it.

BCNW and Mike Lummio are a good outfit. I have one of his knives and, although it's a bhunk of clunking 4mm 01, the blade size and shape are excellent.

I have no affiliation - I'm just a happy customer.

Look forward to seeing a review Tiley if you ever get your hands on it.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I don't think that the cost (even with Import Duty, VAT, Parcel Force and shipping fees) is that bad when its something which will be a pleasure to own and use for years to come.

The dry bag I want is $225 without the above horrors added, and the thought of going to see my friend in Montana and buying what I want before my return seems quite attractive.

Anyone know what the Bushcrafter Pack weighs?

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Nice pack and I agree completely with the criticism about the nylon stuff attached to it.

But..., if nostalgia is the key issue, why not settle for the good ol' Swiss 'salt & pepper' canvas & leather or the old LK70 in canvas (with all leather straps). Both packs have the nostalic look, a frame (no fuzzing with your mat) and great looks. Cheap b.t.w.

No offense for all the proud owners of a Duluth or Frost pack, would like to have one myself, but all the complaints about cost and looks can be easily solved IMHO.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Look forward to seeing a review Tiley if you ever get your hands on it.

In theory, it'll be on its way tomorrow. The sting from customs, VAT et cetera was 32p short of 55 quid. If you want one, make sure you've got a chum Stateside who's prepared to send you a 'present'!

With regard to the Swiss 'Salt 'n' Pepper' packs, I have a small version which comes out for ceremonial occasions. The reason? It's actually pretty uncomfortable to carry for long periods and this is after treating the leather bits with Neats' Foot Oil.

I'm hoping that the Bushcrafter pack will be a little more generous on the comfort front. Certainly the technique for packing the main bit out with a mat is nothing new - the Outward Bound have been doing that for years. It works well and, crucially, keeps the pack neat for trundling through the woods.

I hope to be able to give it a bashing up in the Lake District towards the end of the month after which, I'll post my findings.

I do agree about the black tape and buckles though. All Mike Lummio had to do is get in touch with the guys at Kifaru to source suitably coloured buckles and tape. But that's another story...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wonder if Tamarack could get a price from their suppliers ? That would slice off the customs and postage if they get one in their next shipment.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had a bit of email banter regarding this pack with Tony at Tamarack this morning.

We're looking at around £340 less the 15% if you're a Full Member on here, and if you're not then you should be :)

So around £290 with no customs headaches.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE