Duluth Bushcrafter Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I didn't see anyone mention the Frosts/Bison bushcraft Nessmuk pack but worth a consideration too. Not in production at the moment but they may be back.

Cheers,

Alan

I wish could figure out what's going on with Frosts -- their web site has changed a little bit in the last month, so maybe there's some activity behind the scenes.

I hope it comes back to life because I've had some frosts gear and liked it very much.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I wish could figure out what's going on with Frosts -- their web site has changed a little bit in the last month, so maybe there's some activity behind the scenes.

I hope it comes back to life because I've had some frosts gear and liked it very much.

On this website it says that they will be back delivering to their retailers in november: http://nwwoodsman.com/Product/Packs/PortagePacks.html. That's probably the reason why the Duluths are on sale. Yes: on sale:eek:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Ive just received word from Mike at Bushcraft Northwest that my pack is now in the post, cant wait to check it out, looks a quality piece of kit.

Just a heads up that it was an absolute pleasure in doing business with this guy, he couldnt have been more helpful in our dealings, any questions or queries i had were answered straight away, its amazing the difference in dealing with a small company who care about what they are doing.

I also ordered a bedroll from Duluth about 2 weeks ago and i am still waiting for it all i could get out of them is that they have to make one for me as they are all hand made and it will probably take between 2 and 4 weeks, which is fair enough, but it took me about 5 emails and 6 days to get that answer from them,all it said on their website was that my order was on hold,

It just shows that if possible try to purchase through a small business they mostly seem to care about your order that little bit more than the big boys..

Col.....

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Much as I like leather and canvas being used - and I am the proud owner/user of classic Carradice saddlebags on all my bikes, even the carbon-framed one - i draw the line at a backpack.
Because the modern nylon ones weight much less, cost less and are more comfortable.
A cheap one like the Tatonka Cima di Basso
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/tatonka_cima_di_basso_35_l_alpine_rucksack/
is fantastic value for money
and those extremly lightweight Osprey "Talon"packs, of which I already own one and ordered anther, may not last as long, but reduce the burden considerably.
That said, those "old-fashioned" packs like the Duluth are wonderfull pieces of craftmanship!

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Funny how the buzz about one brand sparked a discussion that delivers a lot of alternatives. Specially all the canvas alternatives for Duluth. Powerful example of the value of this forum and a great lesson for marketeers... we should be paid:D

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
OK, just finished watching the great Raymondo: was that a Duluth pack he was carrying? Looked like a Wanderer or a Rambler. if it's good enough for Ray...

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
just a heads up to let every one know Duluth pack are doing free shipping just now for orders over $149, I just ordered kit total $361 and expected to pay shipping but it was free, all it said was free ground shipping, i took it that meant local to USA, but it free to here as well.

Any one thinking of ordering Duluth from Tamarack would save a bundle load from here, even with import tax and Tamaracks 20% off discount just now.

Hope this helps someone save some money

All the best Col.....

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
just a heads up to let every one know Duluth pack are doing free shipping just now for orders over $149, I just ordered kit total $361 and expected to pay shipping but it was free, all it said was free ground shipping, i took it that meant local to USA, but it free to here as well.

Yes but a very important point is that ground shipping or surface mail from the US can take up to 6 months to arrive. Usually takes 2 to 3 months but still a long time to wait for a new toy :D

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Interesting that the Cat from Ruggrd River never got back to us again,re- some feed back!
Anyone got a phone no. for them?
Cheers.
C da C.

86inch

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2008
Lincolnshire
All feedback graciously accepted, but we reserve the right to "do our own thing" :)

We have reviewed our design a few times and the prototype will almost certainly be some sort of modular approach with fixed and detachable pockets. This will offer greater flexibility and retain important features such as the wand pockets which do not exist on many packs with side pockets. In addition we will add a removable hip belt, and padded leather shoulder straps.
We are aiming to complete the prototype soon, and if we are happy, it will be put on the website.
As usual, we will retain all the features important to us, such as all leather straps, brass buckles and copper rivets. We will not compromise on quality for cost.

Contact is via our email address, visible on the website.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Yeah,got the email,but thought I would give you a ring.
No worries tho.. I know some folk do not want to give their number to the geneeral public!
Nice kit you have there,as I posted earlier.
Good luck with your design,I,for one ,am in the market for a new,traditional pack.
My best.
Chris.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I received my Roamer daypack from Rugged River yesterday and I'm absolutely delighted with it.
I'm staying out in the sticks later this week so I'll be able to share some pictures of it with you all.

Cheers
Sean

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I received my Roamer daypack from Rugged River yesterday and I'm absolutely delighted with it.
I'm staying out in the sticks later this week so I'll be able to share some pictures of it with you all.

Cheers
Sean

Hi,

how does the capacity compare to other bags? To how many liters would you estimate it in practice? And also, what is its weight if you weighted it.

Cheers,
P.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Hi,

how does the capacity compare to other bags? To how many liters would you estimate it in practice? And also, what is its weight if you weighted it.

Cheers,
P.

I worked out from the dimensions on their site that it would be around 35 litres. This is a rough estimate though because obviously a canvas bag will not stay in it's box shape. It could be a little more.

As for weight I've got it loaded up at the moment so couldn't tell you exactly. It's not a light weight pack but it's not designed to be. When I first picked it up I did not think it was particularly heavy though.

I'll start a new thread about it when I get back and share some thoughts on it.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I worked out from the dimensions on their site that it would be around 35 litres. This is a rough estimate though because obviously a canvas bag will not stay in it's box shape. It could be a little more.

As for weight I've got it loaded up at the moment so couldn't tell you exactly. It's not a light weight pack but it's not designed to be. When I first picked it up I did not think it was particularly heavy though.

I'll start a new thread about it when I get back and share some thoughts on it.

Thx! just using the quoted dimensions lead to 26L. I can see it would not keep it's box shape but I have no clue how to estimate the resulting capacity.

I don't expect it to be light of course, but some sense of how it would actually impact my load would be interesting.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Thx! just using the quoted dimensions lead to 26L. I can see it would not keep it's box shape but I have no clue how to estimate the resulting capacity.

I don't expect it to be light of course, but some sense of how it would actually impact my load would be interesting.

I think I added an inch all round to come up with 35L, can't remember. Is that an accurate way of measuring the volume of a canvas bag? No idea, sorry.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE