Doing it with wheels.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Mad-Dave.jpg

Just spent a weekend out with maddave, and while it was a photo trip rather that a bushy trip, it did make me think a bit about the way I do things.

First off I would have to say I don't think of myself as a bushcrafter really, I use bushcraft techniques to be comfortable in the outdoors and most of my reason to be out and about is my landscape photography.

As such, most of the time I'm travelling to different locations in my van and hoofing it short distances to locations like this.

Sometimes, if it's a fair distance, I'll stay on location with a small camp, but more often than not I'll sleep in or near the van.

A good part of the reason for that, is that I really don't like leaving the van unattended in the middle of nowhere, so it actually can become a bit of a liability once I'm on location.

We saw many places we could have set up a small camp quite easily but that would always have left the van exposed to any ned that chanced upon it.

When I was younger and without transport, I used to hitch hike into places so the problem never occurred. Now if I'm near civilization I usually bung a pub landlord a few quid so I can leave the van overnight in the pub car park If I'm out overnight.

But sat round the fire with Dave, near to the vanon this occasion, I started wondering what other people did with their vehicles when they're out and about?

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
Firstly, take all the dewalts etc out of the van, learned that one the hard way. Leave the van in a prominent place with a wee not on the drivers window saying something like " trust me this van is empty, move along etc etc" Where possible i leave around house's somewhere. When i head up into the mountains i nearly always leave it in a village rather than right out of the way even if it adds a mile or so on the walk. When you need the van to do your job it's worth the extra hassle.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Seeing as I`ve been lucky (or unlucky) enough to have a company car for the last 10 years I don`t really mind leaving it out in an exposed area. It`s a poor attitude to have I suppose but when it doesn`t really belong to me I don`t care if somebody decides to borrow it permanantly. I do make sure though that I empty it of anything personal to me so it`s little more than an inconvenience if it does go missing. When walking back from a trip out I admit I will be looking round that last bend to see if it`s still there or if I have to ring for help.
When we get up to some the remote places we find there`s not a lot we can do apart from hope that someone doesn`t take a liking to our motors. I feel for you though Gary as you`ll probably have a van full of lenses and other gear which yoou`ve decided not to take that particular day. May be you should hire a mule and ditch the van.

Rich

Edit:

P.s

Lovely photo by the way !!

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
Im lucky enough to live in a part of my country that i can leave my car for a couple days at a time often unlocked without having to worry about getting it messed with. (a good friend of mine never locks his cars or house or anything, I'm not that crazy:D ) but that being said My uncle is a police officer and lives in a bigger city where people will often break into cars to steal things, and he says the best theft deterrent you can put in your car is a blanket. the idea is out of site out of mind no one will bother to break into a car if they cant actually see something of value. he said that even expensive car alarms don't do much good because the thieves will just smash and grab and they will be gone before anyone notices the alarm, but if your valuables are covered with a blanket or a spare jacket they will not bother risking breaking in, for a possible low payoff.
Hope that helps ease the worry about leaving your car somewhere;)

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Just had a look around 'Waylandscape' and, to be honest Gary, i'm blown away. I knew you have 'nocked out' some decent pic's in the past but there are some stunners there. At the risk of going off topic, could i be presumtious enough to ask if i may PM you for some prices please?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think that as I'm a full member I can sell stuff through the site but I'm not 100% sure and Tony is away at the moment so I can't ask.

I don't sell many pictures so I'm not very organized about it, but I can make prints up to A3

Probably safer to drop me an e-mail

Mods: If I have transgressed in any way with this post please edit or delete accordingly.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
.... but if your valuables are covered with a blanket or a spare jacket they will not bother risking breaking in, for a possible low payoff.
Not necessarily the case - I once had a car broken into in the middle of Plymouth and all they did was rummage through the pockets of the (empty) coat on the back seat... didn't even go in the glovebox :(

back to the original question, If i'm going to be out overnight I'll either park in a village and walk out, or walk out from home (It helps living on the edge of dartmoor ;))

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
One of my mates had his car broken into recently and had his car stereo nicked they also went off with the sweeties in the glove box and half his cd's

It may tell you something about his taste in music...:offtopic:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gary your post is a perfectly civil and honest reply, no worries on it at all. :D

As a Full Member you are allowed to sell in Members Classified but it's kind of limited what you can sell, or rather how much. Basically, 'your own possessions' ,is the general guideline there.
Makers are allowed to sell their own products, but in the spirit of the site again it's not expected to be huge quantities.

Tony will be back soon but I can't see any issue with a couple of your prints being put into Members Classified..........they are very beautiful :cool: :D

atb,
Mary

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I often park on pub car parks. I have a chat with the landlord, over a beer :beerchug:, and ask about leaving the car for a few nights. I always offer to pay a fee, but usually get told not to bother so long as I stop and have a beer and meal on my return.

The woodlands officer responsible for my playground told me that he once stood on the hill watching 2 chavs break into his car in a lay by. All he could do was take the number plate of their car through his binos and report it to the police. I don't use that lay by anymore! :eek:

Simon

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I think that as I'm a full member I can sell stuff through the site but I'm not 100% sure and Tony is away at the moment so I can't ask.

I don't sell many pictures so I'm not very organized about it, but I can make prints up to A3

Probably safer to drop me an e-mail

Mods: If I have transgressed in any way with this post please edit or delete accordingly.

Gary your post is a perfectly civil and honest reply, no worries on it at all. :D

As a Full Member you are allowed to sell in Members Classified but it's kind of limited what you can sell, or rather how much. Basically, 'your own possessions' ,is the general guideline there.
Makers are allowed to sell their own products, but in the spirit of the site again it's not expected to be huge quantities.

Tony will be back soon but I can't see any issue with a couple of your prints being put into Members Classified..........they are very beautiful :cool: :D

atb,
Mary

Sorry, i did'nt want to take this off topic or get anyone into trouble, it's just that i'd rather ask if it's ok to enquire about sales, rather than send an e-mail saying 'I'm Jedadiah' from BCUK' as if i was trying to get a discount or whatever. Gary, i shall send you an e-mail very shortly, sorry if i put you in an uncomfortable position.:rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Always with the questions eh Jed? Blame the job training;)
When I go by vehicle it is generally left with friendly pub/hotel. I tend to offer a small payment for the parking space and often this is refused or accepted for charity.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sorry, i did'nt want to take this off topic or get anyone into trouble, it's just that i'd rather ask if it's ok to enquire about sales, rather than send an e-mail saying 'I'm Jedadiah' from BCUK' as if i was trying to get a discount or whatever. Gary, i shall send you an e-mail very shortly, sorry if i put you in an uncomfortable position.:rolleyes:

No worries, it was just something I hadn't really thought of. :dunno:

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes it can be worrying. I had stuff stolen in the city a couple of months ago

In the bush I leave it at a longhouse or village and then trek in. I speak to the various headmen I know and ask about river, bush conditions etc. then ask permission to leave it. It is a point of honour and nothing will be touched no matter how many days I am away.

If there is no longhouse I leave it by the roadside and hope for the best. The blanket is a good idea and I cover things that might attract idiots.

A guy I know in the US tells me that it is best to leave an empty rifle case on the back seat and stuff that suggests he is a right wing loony. Claims never had a problem

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
I wouldnt be happy about leaving my car in laybys in the Peak District for any length of time but I've not had any problems when doing night navigation.

I was constantly worried about leaving my campervan unattended while in Australia and New Zealand as all my worldly possesions were inside. I followed the rule of not leaving anything (valuble) on show and never had any problems.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm always cautious about what I leave in the van if it's parked up but it's still a PITA. when the locks get spiked or a window broken.

I guess it's just a problem we have to put up with these days but it does limit the type of stuff I do from time to time. :(

That said, I've got camping with a van down to a bit of an art these days. :D

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Ideally you need a car that is crap enough to be not worth stealing but not so crap as to look abandoned, I can recomend a 9 year old clio with 140k miles on the clock :) i often round the corner hoping its gone so i can have the excuse to get a new one.

I am security conscious and throw spare clothes over anything that remotely looks valuable or shiny, the places I go the criminal would have to have transport anyway and is not exactly a "hot spot" for prime nick able cars. So in that respect id imagine any crime to be that of opportunity.

I also look at the layby, anything with lots of mcdonalds, sweetie wrappers and fag/joint butts is a no no as you can bet the local boy racers stop there regularly. The place I was at this weekend there was just enough room for my car as the rest had been chewed up by tractors so anyone stopping would be on the road.

On the other hand they dont know why the vechicle is there and a potential axe weilding body duming owner may appear at any time to unleash justice!

And at the end of the day its insured so just don't leave anything that cant be replaced easily in it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE