Mice in Van (again)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Not for the first time, mice have invaded my campervan. This time they made a cosy nest in a cupboard by ripping up tissues. They also chewed the end off a small plastic container and damaged a seat cushion. They seem to love plastic zip bags and chew their way inside to investigate what's there.
They make an inordinate mess as well as crapping everywhere and it took me most of the morning to empty, clean and replace kit in the cupboards.
I caught one mouse in an old-fashioned trap using peanut butter as bait, but I'd rather not have mice in the van in the first place.
Apart from the obvious of not having any edibles in the van, does anyone have any ideas as to how to deter them from coming into the van in the first place?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mint.

Put mint essential oil on some makeup removal cotton pads and put them where you think they're most likely getting in.

No idea why it works, but they don't like the concentrated mint.

Reactions: oldtimer

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Mice will always try and find somewhere warm and dry to overwinter.

Find out where they are getting access and block up the holes. Wire wool is good but perhaps for a vehicle use glass wool instead.

The eating stuff, well it is just what they do, maybe boredom maybe curiosity. A favourite is wire insulation, the lead in it makes it taste sweet. As the ignition is off there will not even be a current in the wires to deter them (they get a tingle when they chew too close to live wires that stops them chewing further).

Really need to do 3 things at this point. Eliminate the mice and possible nest. Block access and check wiring / rubber pipework.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Apart from the obvious of not having any edibles in the van, does anyone have any ideas as to how to deter them from coming into the van in the first place?
I learned a lot doing my professional rodenticide qualifications. Rats are neophobic (don't like new things), they tend to skirt open spaces by sticking to walls etc. Mice are curious and investigate a lot and enjoy new things. They don't however travel far. Often not more than 30 feet from their nest. If they regularly get in the van there is a nest or nests nearby. The best thing to avoid all rodent issues is to deny them food, water & shelter. If that fails an integrated plan of trapping and poisoning is often necessary to eliminate them completely

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Does it not depend on the type of mice? We're had the odd wood mouse come in but there's no way we could eliminate them as there's so many living in the fields and woods around our property. Nor would we want to.

Somewhat strangely we've been inundated with field voles this year, currently waging a war of catch and release whilst searching for and blocking up holes. Also dusting off the air rifles for rat season.

Reactions: British Red

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
The only time I had mice in the van was after it had been parked inside in the local garage having an engine rebuild..... doors open.

When I had the van back, I noticed droppings, so moved all the wire baskets with stuff in onto the back patio. As I tipped them out, a mouse ran out- much to the amusement of my cats, one of whom stared in confusion as the mouse ran around his feet and the other who immediately went into chase mode..... didn't see any more so I suspect it had got stuck in there, hunkered down in the food basket and made a run for it when it could!

GC.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
It’s the time of year, anywhere undisturbed that is reasonably warm and sheltered will be fair game. They seem to delight in damaging anything valuable. I favour the old fashioned wooden little nipper traps baited with sultanas (pressed firmly onto the little spike so the mouse has to exert a bit of force trying to get them off)
They always have such a surprised expression on their little faces.

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
Blocking any holes bigger than a 5p and keeping all food out or in tupperware tubs. If you can't block every hole then traps in boxes discretely placed, you can check them just by looking at the lid.

We've had good results with Lodi anti rodent spray for rats chewing wiring, it's the only one I would recommend, that may be something to consider

It's more than likely field mice, there is a rodenticide that's now been licensed for field mice but it's professional use only, you can't use any other
Rodenticide for them

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It's more than likely field mice, there is a rodenticide that's now been licensed for field mice but it's professional use only, you can't use any other
Rodenticide for them
Cholecalciferol? Worth noting it's highly toxic to dogs and other animals. Not a fan of poisons.

Reactions: British Red

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
Cholecalciferol? Worth noting it's highly toxic to dogs and other animals. Not a fan of poisons.
Exactly that yes, selontra. I have never used it for field mice, they tend to jump on traps readily enough I've had no need, central Cardiff is 9/10 house mouse little gits anyway. It is absolutely excellent for troublesome rat jobs, and used properly reduces a lot of the secondary poisoning risks with sgars.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Just had a thought... better late than never.

Considered fitting one of those ultrasonic thingamy-bobs (technical term)?

It would deplete the battery over time but hopefully you can find a work around for that.

I had one fitted in Germany to keep stone martens out of the engine bay after they destroyed all the spark plug cables and chewed through the water hoses the third time in a month.

This type of thingy... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WD9CFY2

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
Just had a thought... better late than never.

Considered fitting one of those ultrasonic thingamy-bobs (technical term)?

It would deplete the battery over time but hopefully you can find a work around for that.

I had one fitted in Germany to keep stone martens out of the engine bay after they destroyed all the spark plug cables and chewed through the water hoses the third time in a month.

This type of thingy... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WD9CFY2
Not to discredit your suggestion but I find these in most of the domestic rodent jobs I go to, when asked if they work by customers I tell them if they worked I'd try and sell you one. I have a photos somewhere of a mouse sitting on one, various chewed and with droppings deposited on top.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
When I brought the car back to the UK (maybe 2 years after) at least one young mechanic stuck his head under the bonnet and came bolting out saying "blimming heck mate what is THAT?".
I couldnt hear a thing :D

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
When I brought the car back to the UK (maybe 2 years after) at least one young mechanic stuck his head under the bonnet and came bolting out saying "blimming heck mate what is THAT?".
I couldnt hear a thing :D
I’ve heard that some councils have trialed a similar device to deter teenagers from gathering in trouble hot spots.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
We get mice and voles in our studio this time every year. We store wool, fabric, leather, art materials and a whole lot more there; we can't afford for it to be destroyed. Despite my best efforts of sealing the building up it's still a planked, insulated, barn - they're going to get in. So, sadly, I have to put traps down. I think, about 80% of the catch is yellow-necked mice and field voles.

I've tried the ultrasonic deterrents with zero effect.

I would not dream of using any poisons because a) it's a horrible way to die and b) I cannot guarantee it won't get passed on to predators.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Try the mint. I used it in my wee shed where I keep dyestuffs and cordage materials.
No mice since I did so.
The little blighters used to chew their way into the bags of materials I had drying. Once dry I keep dyestuff in glass jars, but I can't keep all the cordage fibres in those.

M

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
You can't do anything practical that will 100% stop them getting in. You can reduce the number trying to get in, even to zero, by making places outside more attractive, and fatal.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Does it not depend on the type of mice? We're had the odd wood mouse come in but there's no way we could eliminate them as there's so many living in the fields and woods around our property. Nor would we want to.

Somewhat strangely we've been inundated with field voles this year, currently waging a war of catch and release whilst searching for and blocking up holes. Also dusting off the air rifles for rat season.
It does, I was referring to house mice

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE