Dog Section.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BenTheSweep

Apr 12, 2013
Bristol
Hello.

Relatively new here but if you will put a suggestions section, then I'm going to use it.

I have a dog. Most folk have a dog (*citation needed). Some folk obviously do not have a dog but if you make a section for dogs then they can always not look at it.

I'm not talking about a section of Horse and Hounds (Just Hounds) or Crufts (more Scrufts), but more a section where people can talk about man's best friend.

For example, I was looking for some info on what people do with their dogs when out in the field. I'm toying with the idea of making something to sit beneath my hammock that the dog can sleep in.

I have nothing against sleeping with my dog, although that may or may not be legal, depending on which way you have interpreted it. Hopefully you have a pure mind. Like me (*citation needed).

However, a wet, smelly dog is no fun in a hammock. . . . . again, that doesn't sound quite legit but I hope you know what I mean.

I was hoping to find some items on making a dog tent, but alas, there is no way to search *dog* as the search field is too small. Searching *dog tent* reveals nothing of use and yet I am convinced that I am not the only one looking for dog tents or dog related items.

I am also sure that other people would like to chat about their dog - Dog stuff. There are loads of things to say about dogs - People like them. Except the ones who don't.

Don't do a cat one though. Cats are rubbish.

So, can we have a dog section please where people can solve my dog tent conundrum?

( and also talk about their dog conundrums but not cats )

Many thanks,

Ben The Sweep
--------------#

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I like the thought but I worry there wouldn't be many threads. Perhaps a 'pets' section would be better? Or just post your dog question in flora and fauna. :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
thanks for making the suggestion, when it comes to forum creation we generally stick to the guideline of "create it when it's needed" this often comes about when we identify, or someone points out that there's a lot of threads on a subject and it's regularly posted about, then we create the forum and move threads into it and all's done, it's very rare that we create a forum outside of this so in this instance I doubt that we would create one for Dogs.

Don't get me wrong, I've a lovely 2 year old Maremma and I like dogs but i don't think a dog forum would be sustainable as there's not enough threads about them.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's not so much a case of who's interested but what threads justify it. Over the years we've created a few forums that lots of people want and they have a flurry of activity and then they flounder.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Buy a cheap fisherman's shelter....the half moon shaped ones, under a tenner, lightweight, easy to carry and it'll keep the dog dry and comfortable and give you a space to store kit too. Needs well staked down and could do with a couple of coats of waterproofing, but it's still a bargain.

Toddy

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Or if your tarp is big enough, or as you said you locate the hound under your hammock, then won't a nice comfy mat, vet bed/fleece quilt do, just line it with something waterproof?

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I'd say man up and kip on the floor under a thick blanket with the dog to keep you warm and a small fire if its a bit fresh. If you haven't guessed I'm not a fan of modern hammocks!

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
It's not so much a case of who's interested but what threads justify it. Over the years we've created a few forums that lots of people want and they have a flurry of activity and then they flounder.

"Furry Friends" would come under Flora and Fauna wouldn't they anyway? "Bushy Buddies" would cover any animal from dogs to ferrets to horses to everything in between (these 3 being the more commonly associated with hunting sports)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
"Furry Friends" would come under Flora and Fauna wouldn't they anyway? "Bushy Buddies" would cover any animal from dogs to ferrets to horses to everything in between (these 3 being the more commonly associated with hunting sports)

Though horses and ferrets aren't so welcome in a hammock situation.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Though horses and ferrets aren't so welcome in a hammock situation.

Oh I don't know. if you're camping somewhere without trees the horses might be useful. just leave them the appropriate distance apart and tie off each end of the hammock to their saddle horns.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh I don't know. if you're camping somewhere without trees the horses might be useful. just leave them the appropriate distance apart and tie off each end of the hammock to their saddle horns.
:lmao:

And hope no-one yells stampede in the middle of the night

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE