Dog killed a pregnant pheasant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
At that point you should have called the police. However, that form of stupid over reaction does not excuse you allowing a dog off a lead. If it was an accident, fine - did you offer to pay the farmer damages (as you should have) for any and all damage done? Did you apologise profusely for your pet threatening his livelihood? You took your pet onto his land, you failed to control it and that threatened his ability to pay his bills. In that you were very wrong and irresponsible. If he threatened you as you say, he was also very very wrong and irresponsible. One phone call to the police would have had his shotgun certificate revoked.

He had the right to shoot your dog since, by your own words, it could not be stopped from attacking his stock by other means. He had no right to threaten you or your partner and he should have been prosecuted.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I did t really want to hang about and wait for the police as they could have been ages.
There was no damage. It wasn't lambing season and none of the ewes were pregnant. My dog caught up with several sheep and just over took them and carried on running, no attack, no play, just chasing, yes that can cause them stress but it didn't. Plus he was dragging his lead so it was obvious that he wasn't let off intentionally.

We reported it when we got back to our cottage and no one came to take a statement. We called back two weeks later and still nothing had been done.

The only reason the dog pulled in the first place is because a few sheep randomly ran across the footpath at the same time as I had my hands up the the air for balance. That is not being irresponsible.
No one walks their dog with the lead handcuffed to their wrist.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
WOW - if someone threatened to shoot my wife - pregnant or otherwise - I suspect I could find time to report it to the police - but clearly our priorities in life are very different !

As for your dog - a simple leather lead with a trigger clip at the end attached to a choke chain allows full control. If the wrist strap is appropriately sized, even if you release it, it will not fall from the hand. Any pet shop sells them. In any and every event, your dog, is your responsibility. If you have an "accident" you need to take better care in future. You liken your dog getting off a lead to crashing a car. I agree - it means a lack of proper control, a source of embarrassment and normally financial redress and apology on the part of the person not exercising proper control - not bravado and a "stuff happens" attitude.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I did report it as I mentioned in my last post.

If your opinion ment more to me I might spend time going through exactly how it happened.
I am a sensible person and a responsible dog owner. If you want to go around saying that anyone who's ever dropped a dog lead shouldn't have dogs then you might as well say that anyone who's children have knocked something over in a shop should have their kids taken away from them.
Accidents happen. We learn from them. It's never happened again.

People make mistakes, it's only if they make them twice they are irresponsible.

You are making ridiculous assumptions such as me not having my hand through the loop in the lead and not apologising to farmer and not reporting it. You are wrong on each of these.
Seriously, have some faith, it really was an accident. I'm not an idiot. I don't see what you are getting out of these stupid assumptions.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are making ridiculous assumptions such as me not having my hand through the loop in the lead and not apologising to farmer and not reporting it. You are wrong on each of these.
Seriously, have some faith, it really was an accident. I'm not an idiot. I don't see what you are getting out of these stupid assumptions.

Not reporting it? It was you that said

The farmer was very very nasty to us and I almost called the police.

Almost?

Then you say

I did t really want to hang about and wait for the police as they could have been ages.

You need to at least try to be consistent in your story. Anyway, I am done with this. Its your dog and your dog is your responsibility. No wiggle room. If you can't control it, don't take it out on other peoples land. It really is that simple.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
~I really cant see a farmer threatening to shoot a pregnant woman and have to say WHAT A CROCK OF...........

Like Red said, Your dog, your problem. My dog is also larks headed to my wrist when around livestock.

Fortunately i have the only border collie that is scared of sheep :D

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Makes a change for an owner to ask a farmer if he can stop the sheep worrying his dog!! :lmao:

Oh and I wholeheartedly agree with BR on this one. Your dog, your responsibility! If it gets away from you and is out of control then its poor training. Training is not the dogs responsibility, that's yours! Ergo the blame lies with you for taking a poorly trained dog near livestock.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Yes red.
Almost called the police but didn't want to hang about. When we got back to our cartage we called 101.

No inconsistency.

And to everyone saying the dog is my responsibility, I know. I never said the dog wasn't my responsibility.
But to expect me never to take the dog near live stock, coming from someone one a Bushcraft forum is just ridiculous.

My dog has been near live stock maybe 300 times since this instance, always on the lead. If he gets interested I just say "walk on" and he pays them no attention.
I would never let him go off lead anywhere I didn't know.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
No dogs will do what they are told to do or are trained to do
My lurcher is never on a leed and will stay heel in till I tell him to go and can call him of if I want he will only go af ter wild anamals and not sheep or live stock
If you can not train a dog you should not have one and the farmer was right to be up set

Now that's a bizarre set of statements, no-one should have a dog if they can't train one but no dog will do what it is told. So - no dogs, full stop?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Our dog got kicked in the face by a shire horse the other day. But it wasn't me walking him.
On the lead on a busy well signed public footpath, there were 7 shire horses in the field.
The footpath runs down the side of the field.
They had congregated near the fence, on the footpath, and as the dog passed one kicked the hound in the face. He was very upset. His face was all swollen with broken skin. I took him to the vets, who said it was best report it to the police, as it could have happened before, and they may have a record of it, or there could be something wrong with the horse.
Police didn't want to know. Said even if the horse had kicked a child in the face, who was on the public footpath, it would still be classed as an accident, and not a criminal offence.
Anyway, I tracked down the owner of the horses. Spoke to his wife. Told her it was dangerous and could easily have killed the dog, and it was very busy footpath.
She listened to what I had to say, didn't seem bothered. Im £32 out of pocket for the vets consultation fee. At least none of the dogs bones were broken. But thats an accident waiting to happen to someone.
Live and learn eh.....

Last edited:

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
Now that's a bizarre set of statements, no-one should have a dog if they can't train one but no dog will do what it is told. So - no dogs, full stop?

My freind said I should of put a full stop after the word no.
I was say ing no in dis agreement to the post
Do not know why you are getting in volved and the best you can offer is typacal forum rubbish by picking out a mistake in words - clap clap clap well done

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Now im confused , I often wonder are dogs more clever than people ? Is this the best we can do guys . As a owner of a IPO (shutzhund 3) dog im guessing dawgs .

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Whos a pretty boy
ypudasu8.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE