NW Highland munros - with a dog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey guys, I'm planning a short 3 day camping trip up to the NW highlands, originally I was looking to hit Ben More and Conival in Assynt or maybe Beinn Allgin. I think I am going to bring my dad's dog (2 year old collie) with me, but the thing is she is not off-leash trained and I would like to avoid any gnarly scrambles, sharp scree, or narrow (dangerous) ridges. She's fine up the hills (took her up Ben Lomond) but I want to avoid getting yanked off a cliffside :lmao:

If you throw me some recommendations bear in mind I'm looking to stick close to the Kintail / Torridon / Assynt coastal area as I intend to do some beaches. I was toying with the idea of hitting Cape Wrath as I missed the hike out last time I was up there but it might be a touch far for the dog in the car.

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
I cant help with suggestions, but one thing did occur to me......

As a wildcamper who takes his dog with him, I would think twice about taking a dog with you that isn't great off the lead. Even more so in an area so remote.

My two Dal's are great off the lead, so they don't give me any bother. But, I took my mums Dalmatian with me a few years back, who isn't good off the lead, and I spent the next 24 hours wishing to god I hadn't. I had miles to walk to the site I was camping at, which I probably doubled in distance chasing that dog! It turned a relaxing experience into one of stress and exertion. Didn't help that when I finally reached my spot, set up, to find mums dog didn't do tents, and would try dig her way through the floor of the tent! That was a cold sleepless night I can tell you!

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey there,

Well that's me back now. The dog was a proper champion - apart from on the way down when she spotted deer and would have taken off straight down the bloody mountain if it hadn't been for the lead. She has enough sense to realise when it's time to be serious and was quite capable (Even seemed to enjoy) the mad scramble I took her up.

We didn't make it to the top of the munro, a combination of heavy pack, dog, and lack of planning (why did I pick a pathless munro, left my OS map in the car, etc). Pitched up about 700m up on a nice little flat bluff by a waterfall.

20248304_1686701014695279_2414646320643865060_o.jpg

Last edited:

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Looks nice. What breed do you have?
Our border is aging now at 11 and is losing interest in long walks. We're on the look out for a bush crafting dog and open to ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Thanks. Might start a new thread, don't want to hijack this one!!

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Collie, 2 years old, but it's my dad's dog really. Feel free to discuss as you wish! I've always had collies growing up but in terms of breeds I quite like the Swedish Vallhunds, a good smallish outdoorsy breed.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Our border has been walking, climbing, running, Biking and to the tops of mountains with me but now she's lost a lot of interest.
She still goes crazy for cats, squirrels and hedgehogs though and she loves sheep so I've always had to be careful.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I have a collie/greyhound lurcher and he loves mooching around with me. Even has his own sleeping bag for the overnighters . 4 years old and still cries like a baby when I have to go out without him. Mans best friend right enough:)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I'd love to be able to train the dog out of the herding / hunting instinct but it seems so ingrained in a collie. My dad's dog is pretty obedient, and very empathic, but training has hit a brick wall when it comes to her 'locking on' to other animals, be it other dogs, sheep, or in the case of this trip, deer. She's never off the leash with me and it's a great pity!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE