Dog killed a pregnant pheasant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Or at least, I think she was pregnant. Went to inspect the area she was killed in and found these:

null_zps0dbc51a0.jpg

I'm guessing they're the unlaid eggs. Poor mate was wandering about looking for her. I've heard him crowing a few times (think he's got a harem, though, but still a bit sad). Anyway, I took the breasts off the corpse and will be eating them for lunch. The rest has been thrown for the foxes/carrion

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I was just interested as it may be risky if it is your dog and it gets used to the chase/ kill when your in an area that this is not accepted. For example near a gamekeepers land it could cause u issues. Don't get me wrong I kill game often and have no problem with it at all. I just wouldn't want you to have any issues in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I was just interested as it may be risky if it is your dog and it gets used to the chase/ kill when your in an area that this is not accepted. For example near a gamekeepers land it could cause u issues. Don't get me wrong I kill game often and have no problem with it at all. I just wouldn't want you to have any issues in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you kill game out of interest?

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
My folks keep chickens and we had to do in one of the hens once. Inside is like a production line of eggs. From very tiny all the way up to the egg about to be laid. The later stages are similar to the picture shown.

All the best
Andy

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Our Lab caught a big rat in the woods the other day.
Head hanging out of one side, 6 inch tail hanging out of other. He wouldnt drop it.
Instead he ran off with it and munched it then swallowed the whole thing....tail and all...yuk.

You can see by the chest feather its a female, don't know about the eggs though. Pregnant would have been my guess too. There's almost always roadkill pheasant every time i go up to the dales. Ive had to get out and despatch injured ones in the past but not been brave enough to eat them.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
It's never nice to see but we humans love our domesticated animals. Dogs will chase and kill stuff and once they have fine it it is very very difficult to stop them.
You can take the risk where you feel it's safe or never let them off the lead.

There is never going to be a solution to suit everyone and I wouldn't think badly on a dog owner if their fog killed an animal. It just happens.

My dog chased a bunch sheep in the Lake District once for an hour. The farmer was very very nasty to us and I almost called the police.
We had the dog on a strong lead like responsible owners but he pulled the lead out my hand as I was going through the mud. Total accident. If I had wrapped the lead around my wrist I would have been pulled down a cliff.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
It's never nice to see but we humans love our domesticated animals. Dogs will chase and kill stuff and once they have fine it it is very very difficult to stop them.
You can take the risk where you feel it's safe or never let them off the lead.

There is never going to be a solution to suit everyone and I wouldn't think badly on a dog owner if their fog killed an animal. It just happens.

My dog chased a bunch sheep in the Lake District once for an hour. The farmer was very very nasty to us and I almost called the police.
We had the dog on a strong lead like responsible owners but he pulled the lead out my hand as I was going through the mud. Total accident. If I had wrapped the lead around my wrist I would have been pulled down a cliff.

No dogs will do what they are told to do or are trained to do
My lurcher is never on a leed and will stay heel in till I tell him to go and can call him of if I want he will only go af ter wild anamals and not sheep or live stock
If you can not train a dog you should not have one and the farmer was right to be up set

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
If you can not train a dog you should not have one and the farmer was right to be up set

I find that quite offensive.

I also have a lurcher and she is very easy to train to stop and come.

Terriers like my Airedale are much more stubborn and have been bred for hundreds of years to chase. I am a good dog trainer and owner. If you read my post you will see that I had my dog on the lead but he pulled away when I was slipping. An accident.

Training a terrier no to chase an animal is very difficult.i have trained him 30 tricks and commands. But if something runs past him he will chase it because that is what he is bred for. The only way to train this out of him is to keep recalling him every two mins when he is off the lead and giving him a treat, which is exactly what I am doing. He now returns 80% of the time. When we started a year ago he was returning 20% of the time. So we have made a huge improvement.

And quite frankly, anyone who makes wild and unfounded statements like that shouldn't be allowed to post of forums.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I find that quite offensive.

I also have a lurcher and she is very easy to train to stop and come.

Terriers like my Airedale are much more stubborn and have been bred for hundreds of years to chase. I am a good dog trainer and owner. If you read my post you will see that I had my dog on the lead but he pulled away when I was slipping. An accident.

Training a terrier no to chase an animal is very difficult.i have trained him 30 tricks and commands. But if something runs past him he will chase it because that is what he is bred for. The only way to train this out of him is to keep recalling him every two mins when he is off the lead and giving him a treat, which is exactly what I am doing. He now returns 80% of the time. When we started a year ago he was returning 20% of the time. So we have made a huge improvement.

And quite frankly, anyone who makes wild and unfounded statements like that shouldn't be allowed to post of forums.

I still do no think you under stand
A hound is bred for a perpose making it do a trick like shaking paws is not what a terrier dose in fact no dog should
If you think a terrier is bred to chase then you are wrong again they are for rats and under ground work
My state ments are founded by experiance and may be you should not be on a forum if you are so sensative

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I don't have a hound, I have a terrier. The Airedale terrier was bread for chasing down and killing otters. The tricks and commands are finding specific family members, going to and waiting in a specific room and recalling.

If your statements are founded from experience then I suggest you go get some because you hardly seem to know what your talking about. Almost everything you've said in this thread is wrong.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

I find it quite surprising when you say that you were tempted to call the police when it was your dog sheep worrying.

If you could not get your animal under control, the farmer was entitled to shoot it. You say the farmer was nasty - your dog was on his land. It was your responsibility to control it. You failed in that responsibility. It may have been "an accident" but if you cannot hold your dog on a lead, then you should not take it near livestock. It really is that simple.

Last edited:

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
We were on a mountain. The lead slipped out my hand. It was an accident. The farmer threatened to shoot my pregnant girlfriend with the shotgun in his car 20feet away.

An no, I would never let my dog off the lead near livestock.

Like I said ... Accident.

That's like saying anyone that's ever crashed a car shouldn't be allowed to drive one every again.
Anyone that's ever knocked a drink over should never be allowed a glass again.

Have some respect. It was an accident.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE