dog backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I made a thread on this on Britishblades and got a few replies. I'm gonna get an Outward Hound pack, but I'd love a Ruffwear one. Too expensive though.

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
That is hilarious! Would it make your dog nervous about the adequacy of your food supply though if he was carrying your cook-kit for you on a long trip into the wilderness?

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Tanks w/s for the links,the ruffwear looks as if it has had a bit more thought put into it but at a price.
They both wear pfd's in my canoe so i hope the litte one will take to a pack,maybe slow her down a bit.
Has anyone bought a ruffwear one?
Many thanks guys.
Soloman.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I can recommend the Ruffwear backpacks, very easy to fit and remove once the harness is fitted and come with water bladders. The harness can be used for light pulling if you have a big enough dog, helps going uphill.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Everyone has an opinion so this is just mine, and nothing more, but I have a strong one about dogpacks and dislike the Ruffwear and similar ones. The reason is that they are made for the buyer and not for the dog. Heavy, over engineered but badly fitting.
Look at how you choose your own backpack, or a pack for your child. The old ones that hang like a sack in the small of your back work but they are not comfortable when getting heavy. Add uncomfortable fit and chafing and they are not good at all.
A modern backpack which fits your body and size, distributes the weight on your shoulders and in it self weighs very little is what you would choose for your self. Now look at the dogpack. It should put the weight on the shoulders of the dog, as far forward as possible and not on the lower back. It must fit, not hinder movement of the dogs legs or shoulders and must not chafe! A good pack has straps that lifts the bags out from the sides and distributes the weight onto the back. Also the pack must be strong and durable but not heavier than necessary when empty. The ones I like best are often made in norway as they have spent many years perfecting their designs. They are often even more expensive but at least you get a good product that will last several dog lives.
Not a good picture but the only one I have at the moment. These are made by "Nordtro".
[URL=http://img9.imageshack.us/i/fjllvandring2010004.jpg/][/URL]

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Everyone has an opinion so this is just mine, and nothing more, but I have a strong one about dogpacks and dislike the Ruffwear and similar ones. The reason is that they are made for the buyer and not for the dog. Heavy, over engineered but badly fitting.
Look at how you choose your own backpack, or a pack for your child. The old ones that hang like a sack in the small of your back work but they are not comfortable when getting heavy. Add uncomfortable fit and chafing and they are not good at all.
A modern backpack which fits your body and size, distributes the weight on your shoulders and in it self weighs very little is what you would choose for your self. Now look at the dogpack. It should put the weight on the shoulders of the dog, as far forward as possible and not on the lower back. It must fit, not hinder movement of the dogs legs or shoulders and must not chafe! A good pack has straps that lifts the bags out from the sides and distributes the weight onto the back. Also the pack must be strong and durable but not heavier than necessary when empty. The ones I like best are often made in norway as they have spent many years perfecting their designs. They are often even more expensive but at least you get a good product that will last several dog lives.
Not a good picture but the only one I have at the moment. These are made by "Nordtro".

Just found this thread by running a search for dog backpacks and would love to know where to buy one of these "Nordtro" dog panniers/packs you speak of. Google reveals absolutely nothing about them!

edit: after some advanced google wizardry I've just found them here http://www.wolfpacks.com

Last edited:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Did tamarak use to sell them ?

Rob

Well I emailed Wolf Packs last night asking why they don't sell the packs shown in that photo on their website and they replied this morning telling me they don't actually make this particular pack at all! I tried running a username search on "tamarak" but could not be found. Does he still sell them? They look really nice!

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Ruffwear panniers are the dogs dodas excuse the pun. Pretty tough and well made. Had a cheaper set which only lasted one day out.
Got ours off ebay and saved about half the price. Well worth it just not lugging around dog food and water.2012 Billiard room 022.jpg
People seem to buy the wrong size for their dog and thats when you can get a bargain. Secondhand but not used. My Collie's pack is a small and fits well.
It,s difficult to judge without trying them on the dog first, otherwise its a bit of a gamble.
Riven.

Last edited:

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Ruffwear panniers are the dogs dodas excuse the pun.

That's what I thought last night until I read "Huskys' " nugget of information above, regarding about how the Ruffwear packs are not really designed to bear the load on the dogs shoulders, but the Norwegian-designed "Wolf Pack" dog packs are. Anyone know if this is entirely true??

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE