Does anyone make a good quality baseplate compass anymore?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 3, 2011
Prague.
My current Silva Type 4 has developed a bubble and the degrees markings are rubbing off the bezel. I would happily replace it with the same, but it seems Silva are now made in China and reviews suggest that quality is not what it used to be. I decided to treat myself to a Suunto M3 G. Very nice baseplate, nice bit of string, but everything within the bezel is of appalling quality. On a navigation exercise last weekend, my students' 8 euro no-brand compasses proved quicker settling and pointed north more consistently. Reading more online, it seems that this is not a fault of my particular compass, but is a flaw inherent to the new design - plastic strip rather than metal needle.

Are there any makers producing baseplate compasses to the standard of the old Silvas?

Reactions: CLEM

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
No. I still use Silva Ranger and Ex4 for my courses, and personally. The needle in the Silva compasses are very consistent across the 20 odd that I have. They settle quickly to north and tolerate being held slightly off of horizontal better than cheaper modes.

They are still better than all cheaper ones. Unfortunately like a lot of things they are made in China and are the best of a bad bunch.

I’ve excepted that my new compasses won’t last as long as older ones but haven’t found anything better for the price.

Reactions: Nikkormat

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's worth saying, 'made in China' does not mean 'poor quality' - they are capable of manufacturing to the same quality, or better, than the best in Europe. The problem is when people spec on price not quality. So, if the new Silva compasses are built to a price they may not be to the quality we want, but are clearly to the quality that Silva are prepared to sell them at.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Chinese manufacturing will be to silva designs and quality. The idea that current silva quality is anything other than what silva want is highly unlikely. Silva will employ quality processes and inspection to ensure they get the quality they have specified.

This issue with the quality of their compasses is also down to what we will pay vs what we expect. Aiui silva compasses haven't increased much in the period since I got my last two. Same price 10 years apart. Costs don't do that hence move to cheaper places to produce. Even that doesn't keep the costs from increasing. Have the prices gone up these last few years?

Decrease costs or increase prices are really the only two ways to maintain the older quality standards. I suspect to maintain market share they maintained prices but lowered standards. It would be nice to have a premium range from them made in Finland to a higher quality and priced accordingly.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
I used to have a Silva pace counter that fixed to the side of the compass. A little thumb lever and a display that went round to 9. Used for keeping track of 100m’s. They stopped making them and I lost my compass with it on.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
My current Silva Type 4 has developed a bubble and the degrees markings are rubbing off the bezel. I would happily replace it with the same, but it seems Silva are now made in China and reviews suggest that quality is not what it used to be. I decided to treat myself to a Suunto M3 G. Very nice baseplate, nice bit of string, but everything within the bezel is of appalling quality. On a navigation exercise last weekend, my students' 8 euro no-brand compasses proved quicker settling and pointed north more consistently. Reading more online, it seems that this is not a fault of my particular compass, but is a flaw inherent to the new design - plastic strip rather than metal needle.

Are there any makers producing baseplate compasses to the standard of the old Silvas?
Is this any use to you ? You can have it for postage costs if so. If not I'll offer it up :)

Reactions: Nikkormat

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Cammenga?

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Cammenga?

Looks good but only has two metric scales, other two are not needed in UK. I like the magnifying part of the degrees but there is no need to use mils on a civilian compass. If the quality is good could be worth a punt to Try.

Do they ship to UK , or have UK distribution?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Looks good but only has two metric scales, other two are not needed in UK. I like the magnifying part of the degrees but there is no need to use mils on a civilian compass. If the quality is good could be worth a punt to Try.

Do they ship to UK , or have UK distribution?

BushcraftStore had them, but out of stock

Heinnie also have other Cammenga compasses but not the baseplate.

Reactions: nigelp
Jul 3, 2011
Prague.
Cammenga?

Interesting. I have not heard of them before. looks a little over-complicated though. I think I will bite the bullet and try a new Silva Type 4, and hope for a good example.

Reactions: nigelp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE