Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Yep - that's what draws me to Bushcraft - simplifying things! ;)

Ages ago I think someone asked about which compass to get? :lmao:

Not as with it as some who have posted so I'll declare that up front. Like most, Silva is what I started with and hard to fault. About a year ago I bought another Silva and maybe it was just a one off, but it was not really the same animal. The quality feel wasn't there. Not a specific slight on Sliva as this seems to be a general trend with many products. At first use in cold weather bubbles appeared in the housing - now that's a first for me - and Ranulph Fiennes I ain't! Returned it and got a replacement that I havent really used to be honest.

Somewhere online - so take with the usually pinch of salt - I read Silva no longer produced in Sweden or wherever, but production was now done in the Far East?

I was recommended to look at Sunnto ( not sure if enough n's in there? ) M3. First glance at price I considered eye watering. Then discovered they do several M3 models - the top cost is for the Global version. Unless Artic/ Antartic travel is on the cards, save a packet and get the Northern/ Standard model. Not very cheapest, but got good overall service from Shaven Raspberry - no commercial link etc. But also plenty on Ebay.

M3 in my view is a much higher quality build than the Silva I got as above. Only real dislike is that the 1;25,000 scale - the one I use most is rather buried along lots of others that don't do much for me personally.

Have since read - again on internet and again pinch of salt etc - that the Recta - not sure of model - version of the M3 is pretty darn close as to not make much difference and tends to be a tad cheaper.

Just my view, not disrespect to views of anyone else.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Basically if your Locating buried treasure your screwed but if you want to get out of a sticky situation then a degree compass will work more than good enough! Which is what you posted about I believe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People manage just fine using normal "degree" compasses, in conjunction with a map, to micro navigate out of a sticky situations almost everyday. The compass just points the direction, all the rest, error correction, topography interpretation, the distance covered in any given time period; to the nearest couple of meters etc is down to the individual, not the tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE