Choosing a compass....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
Suunto M-3 G arrived a few days ago and I have played around with it a little. The needle is the of the newer plastic version but it appears to work perfectly without sticking or stuttering. Build quality is excellent the bezel is super smooth to turn.

As per a comment on another thread I did check to make sure that the needle was floating perfectly horizontally and it appears that is the case so all good as far as I can tell!

Pretty happy with it overall.

bearbait

I parked the truck on the edge of the road. I walked west into the mountain forest, deer hunting. Typical, a sudden and heavy snow storm descended on me.
Visibility 15-20m, no landmarks, even knowing my back-track was useless. The deer would beinvisible. Might as well quit and go home, who knows how long this will last. Which way back to the road?
In that day and time, all I had was my old Recta Prospector compass which showed me that my sense of direction was off by 90 degrees. Curse a little, believe the compass and trudge out of there.
Believe the compass.

Many trails I've hiked I've not had a map for and have been reduced to taking a photo of the trail route from the noticeboard / signage at the trailhead. Did that one winter a few years ago and set off on snowshoes. After a little while the terrain was not agreeing with the map. I checked and double-checked and, having zoomed in a long way on the map photo, discovered that the map I'd photographed wasn't oriented North-up, which I had assumed it was. Sorted! A bit of mental pondering and I was able to return to the trail without issue. Other than embarrassment.

So by constantly checking with the map, the terrain and my compass I eventually realised it was wrongly oriented and was able to recover.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Recta lives! Apparently, Suunto took over Recta and the Recta compasses are now manufactured in the Finnish factory. The model equivalent of my Prospector model is the Recta DP-6. I might buy a new one just for nostalgia's sake. They invented the global needle (DP-6G). I used mine in Australia, I has to tip the compass down 45 degrees to get the needle to float but the accuracy was still there.

There are no trail head pictures where I go. Sometimes, I get lucky and find an overgrown logging skidder track. Not as tough slogging as solid bush bashing.
Honestly, visibility can be as low as 10-15 feet.

The BC government produced a series of very good regional maps. All printed on the same sized sheets of paper. What they never said was that they changed the scale of every map so that area "filled" the sheet! (Let's not waste any paper, shall we?)

Orienting maps other than North-up is going to kill somebody some day.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Just have to say, I prefer mirror compasses, not particularly for the sighting function, though that is useful, but for the fact the mirror forms a protective cover for the compass capsule. In addition the mirror has many other uses.

I use a Recta DS-50G of which was an upgrade from an early ( non luminous dial) Suunto MC-2

Reactions: Robson Valley

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Does anybody produce a *quality* non liquid filled baseplate type compass?

Swedish made Silva's always had a good reputation, but over the years I have two Type 27 fail ( the needles on both reversed their polarity for no apparent reason) and a Type 4 and a Type 54 both developed bubbles, one permanent, while the other seems to come and go...I have read of similar bubble issues with Brunton, Suunto and to a lesser extent Recta as well...

I know the US army style lensatic compass was a dry compass, but it's a bit heavy and I prefer a baseplate compass...

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Does anybody produce a *quality* non liquid filled baseplate type compass?

Swedish made Silva's always had a good reputation, but over the years I have two Type 27 fail ( the needles on both reversed their polarity for no apparent reason) and a Type 4 and a Type 54 both developed bubbles, one permanent, while the other seems to come and go...I have read of similar bubble issues with Brunton, Suunto and to a lesser extent Recta as well...

I know the US army style lensatic compass was a dry compass, but it's a bit heavy and I prefer a baseplate compass...
Pretty much mentioned all the major brands that I know of, only other one I can think of that has a non liquid baseplate is Cammenga.

Reactions: Pete E

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If the compass gets your butt out of the woods and on your way home, price and weight matter little. My old Recta has a massive bubble, the Brunton is developing the same. But, they're old, like me. Before bubbles, I'll give them all no more than 12-15 years.

I'll never forget, standing there as the snow storm intensified, that I had NO CLUE which way to the road and the truck with 20 yard visibility. Mirror sighting be danged. That was a cold sweat. I understand what "disoriented" means.

Trust the compass. Under a big spruce, peeled off my rifle and day pack. Walked 25 yards back out into the open and saw that my head was WRONG by 90 degrees.

Trust the compass. Put on my gear, checked the compass, looked 100% the same. Decided that straight line bush-bashing would work as well as anything until I ran into a river or a cliff drop-off.

Trust the compass. Saw the vehicle. Here I am today.

Reactions: MrEd and Erbswurst

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I really fancied one of the first version of the Brunton eclipse but the two I tried developed bubbles. I have a number of compasses and like to use different ones when out and about although my need to navigate by them has diminished in my local forays.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE