Do hunter-gatherers have it right?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Interesting stuff. I agree with much of what is said and it is obvious that our current agricultural methods are largely unsustainable.

It does seem like a population cull is inevitable whether this is through famine, war, disease or probably all of these. The entire human race could be in for some very difficult times, much of it caused by our own greed. I know some peoples have had and are already having all kinds of problems but I'm talking about something on a global or near global scale.

But so long as we have Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (with milk?) we'll make it through. :cool:

Green Deane

May 17, 2009
Florida
www.eattheweeds.com
The paleolithic diet is a good one, when adapted to modern times. I think it is clear that hunter/gathers before agriculture were healthier than we are except they did not have antibiotics and good injury care. And while the agricultural age is a step down from that I think our great grandparents ate far better than we do. So yes, I think the more we can get back to a protein and fat diet with complex carbohydrates and few simple carbs the better...now, were did I put my glass of red wine?

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
The paleolithic diet is a good one, when adapted to modern times.
This is the secret. A true paleolithic diet is virtually impossible these days. For example, many farmed animals are now fed grain rather than grass; this means that the goodness of grass is absent from these animals. So, for me, it's a question of implementing the main concepts and supplementing it where necessary (e.g. Omega 3 oils). I need to research this more, but I suspect that cows' milk, though low in Omega 3, probably isn't that bad if you follow a high protein/fat diet.

I think our great grandparents ate far better than we do.
Apart from the fact that junk food basically didn't exist, I imagine that they ate far less rice and pasta than we do now; and lots of fresh fruit and veg too.[/quote]

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Virus, next time we meet up I will tell you how to do it!

Some times history teaches us lessons. If modern man were to adapt a more H-G approach many of the modern diseases could be avoided.

A few not so secret facts about food.

Wild meat all to some extent contains a higher level of omega 3 than its domesticated counterpart. When you domesticate a wild animal the change in feed pattern changes the saturated fat/omega 3 ratio. So a wild cow, not consuming antibiotics, growth promoters, hormones, grains, recycled animal waste meats etc, etc, will have a significantly lower 'harmful fat' ratio.

Saturated fats in small quantites are useful to the human body, total exclusion of fats from the diet will send you mad. The 70's fad of no fats at all for high cholesterol resulted in well document cases of people jumping off tall buildings etc. Its now known that the Omega 3 group, specifically EPA are more effective in treating depression than prozac.

Wheat and grains are associated with inflammatory disorders with those who are sensative to them. Hence the removal of wheat, gluten and dairy often resolves things such as acne, arthritis, aches, pains, PMS/PMT and migraine.

On a higher protien/fat diet with lower carbs, your cholesterol level goes down and your blood sugar level becomes more stable. You also physically eat less volume of food. You do need carbohydrate but in far smaller quantites than people realise and far less often.

Polish hunters still use a basic paleolithic meal when in the woods called 'Bigos or Biglos' (seen it spelt several ways) it is pickeld cabbage and meat, very tasty and very nutritious!

Join me for a H-G meal at the moot!

Sandsnakes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE