DIY Top Quilt - hammock or ground.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
After purchasing my new thread injector last week here's my latest creation...well almost, it just needs some nice fluffy white stuff put inside. Extremtextil was out of stock of their 860fp (EU scale) down, my order is on hold while they wait for a delivery.

It's a box walled construction made from Pertex microlight, the quilt width tapers towards the foot end, the dimensions are/should be...

Length: 1.90m/75"
Head width: 1.32m/52"
Foot width: 1.13m/44.5"
Baffle height: 4cm/1.5"
Loft: 5cm/2" Ill find out when it's stuffed.
Weight: somewhere around 550g/19.5oz with down and hardware.
It should be rated to about 0C/30F.

Laid out, the left hand side is open waiting for the down to arrive.
m1D30.jpg

Baffles and chambers.
559LN.jpg

Contrasting stitching on top drawcord channel.
6iaqs.jpg

Bottom drawcord detail - I won't be using this cord, I have some lighter stuff on order.
xS20J.jpg

I'm just using my phone so the WB and colours are all over the shop, it's a greenish blue colour.

Overall I'm really impressed but am going crazy waiting for the down, should be about 2-3 weeks apparently. I'll update this thread/post with more photos once I've got it all finished, I just wanted to share what I had so far :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice work Col, that should be good for 3 seasons. :)

Are you stitching the footbox or making it openable?

Is there a channel at the head end to keep the draughts out?

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Hi Pete, I'm going to leave the footbox open, my thinking was I can use it as a blanket around my camping mat if I go to ground, kind of like the Therm-a-rest ones, can't hurt to have options :) I'm going to seal up the foot box either with press studs or toggles and loops, not sure yet.

Yeah, there is a channel at the head end, I'm just waiting for the cord to come, it should cinch down nicely to keep out the draughts.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thats my thoughts on it too, it's better to have options with kit I think. having it openeable helps with drying and storage too.

I didn't think my head end drawcord would do much for draughtstopping but it does, I'd miss it now. I did mine with shockcord so it attaches round the back of my neck, really helps the quilt keep in place in the night

FWIW, I made mine with a velcro foot closure. I'll use presstuds next time.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you ever put a shoulder/chest baffle in your TQs Pete?

I don't suppose it's really necessary if you cinch up the top edge, I do like one in a winter bag though

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Nice one Col, looks the dogs danglies mate

Looking forward to seeing it finished
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it too :D

Thats my thoughts on it too, it's better to have options with kit I think. having it openeable helps with drying and storage too.

I didn't think my head end drawcord would do much for draughtstopping but it does, I'd miss it now. I did mine with shockcord so it attaches round the back of my neck, really helps the quilt keep in place in the night

FWIW, I made mine with a velcro foot closure. I'll use presstuds next time.
Sorry, yeah it does have a channel for a top draw cord, for some reason I was thinking of a shoulder baffle. It'll definately be good for stopping draughts.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Have you ever put a shoulder/chest baffle in your TQs Pete?

I don't suppose it's really necessary if you cinch up the top edge, I do like one in a winter bag though

Yeah, it does wonders for winter bags!

No shoulder baffle yet mate. The top cinches up so well that I really feel it won't be of much benefit TBH.

Is there one on your winter bad boy? If so, does it make much difference?

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I'm looking forward to it too, it should be spot on!

I also got a load of fabric samples from extremtextil.de too, having them in your hand and feeling them really gives you a good idea for what they'd be good for. I think my friends and family will be guinea pigs for kit I make :D

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
So I finally got it stuffed, it's lovely and I can't wait to try it out in anger!

Looks so comfy :)
pjwBD.jpg

Press stud
sXbc2.jpg

Foot box
8h1RW.jpg

Loft, about 5cm or 2" pretty much what I expected it to be.
LSRYy.jpg

All I need to do now is to put the draw cord in the head end and it's good to go :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
looking good, nice little project , I will be looking at making a thicker quilt for winter this year.

seeing this has given me some good ideas.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Lovely job Col, looks a treat.
goodjob
I like the single press stud, my velcro closure isn't quite strong enough and I need to put one on to stop it opening up.

I made a little down plug for the cinch hole to stop the draughts, works well and made a quite a difference. Its kept tied to the cinch cord so its always there.
DSCN0203.jpg

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Thanks Pete :) It's a big improvement in weight, it comes in at 570g all in and my Mountain Equipment Lightline that I've used up until now is about 1.2kg. I had a 5 minute lie down in it this morning now the down has recovered from being stuffed in the shipping bag, it was nice and toasty.

I remember seeing your ingenious plug when you posted your thread, I may have to make one too. Also I think like you say a press stud should help stop the velcro coming undone.

I'm tempted to make a nice thick winter weight one come winter too :) Though next on my list will probably be some tarp skins.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks Pete :) It's a big improvement in weight, it comes in at 570g all in and my Mountain Equipment Lightline that I've used up until now is about 1.2kg. I had a 5 minute lie down in it this morning now the down has recovered from being stuffed in the shipping bag, it was nice and toasty.

I remember seeing your ingenious plug when you posted your thread, I may have to make one too. Also I think like you say a press stud should help stop the velcro coming undone.

I'm tempted to make a nice thick winter weight one come winter too :) Though next on my list will probably be some tarp skins.

Will this gear making ever end? :lmao:

I don't think so. I fancy making one of these soon as you've done, my winter quilt is just too much now and too warm. I reckon If I make it to your sizes, it'll fit nicely inside the winter quilt for some artcic melting 5" of loft.

I think a bishop bag is next though. I've started keeping everything attached to the hammock and inside it, all I do now is stuff the whole lot in the bottom of the bag. I'm conscious though that I'm stuffing a single layer hammock in unprotected, it'll eventually fail and dump me. :rolleyes:

Roll on the next project :)

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
haha yeah, I look at it as justifying the investment in my thread injector by making more gear, that's my excuse anyway :D That said it has almost paid for itself already, in all this quilt owes me about £95 give or take a bit, you can't buy a 3 season TQ for less than say £150 certainly not when looking at postage, duty and VAT from the US.

Oh yeah, a black bishop bag was on my list too and replacing the webbing and steel rings on the suspension triangle of my BMBH with amsteel, a cuben tarp, down hat like the black rock ones, Etaproof jacket, polycotton tarp for when having lazy camps around a fire, I'm sure there is more I've forgotten too :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Mnnnn, Cuben........

I'm scared of getting some Cuben, once I start I wont stop with it. I've had a tot up with weights and reckon I could cut a couple of kilo's at least :)

Could be worth a small group buy, 9 yds miniumum can be ordered direct from the manufacturers. :cool:

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
That could be an idea, I'd certainly be interested, 9 yards minimum order pfffft. that's only just a bit more than one tarp :D It's about €26/m from Extremtextil.de so if it could be supplied for less than that it would be nice :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE