UKhammocks top quilt and other problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 14, 2017
Surrey
I recently emailed asking how long an order for one of their tarps would take and was told they're ready to ship the next day. OK, I thought, order placed in the afternoon. The item didn't ship the next day, now reading this thread has got me slightly concerned.

It's coming to the end of the third full working day (not including the weekend) since I placed my order and no dispatch email. I just phoned for an update and got a recorded message asking to email which I already had done 3 days ago (for a related question) which they have not replied to....

Last edited:
Reactions: sunndog
Sep 26, 2014
United Kingdom
Purchased a woodmans expedition hammock , messed about no end , told it was made and on the way one day , then told they had to make it still !!, hammock arrives eventually and the bug net starts to create holes and show signs of pulling on the netting , zips are crap, returned the hammock and requested a refund , no response to emails, phone calls or fb.
Contacted trading standards this morning and reported the issue, shocking company to deal with

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
When I dived in to hammocking two years ago I got the whole rig from them, TQ, UQ and two hammocks without any problems apart from the wait. Looking at their website I think Matt is floating towards organising expeditions and kitting them out, so this might be a cause for neglecting outside customers.

I hate to hijack this thread but it's frustrating to be quiet and read all those comments. I'm starting my own cottage hammock company in few days so if you are looking for gear just hang fire for a moment. There will be a small display of my ideas during the Moot and my website will go live 10th Aug when I'm back.

To be honest I was always suprised UKhammocks never had their own section in the MAKERS section, that would give them a better chance to solve any issues.

Jun 14, 2017
Surrey
OK, so I have received a reply to my email - apparently the order was missed on Thursday but has shipped today so fingers crossed all will be well.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
When I bought my hammock from Matt, it was a custom job and he made it super long for me as I'm 6ft 4ins. When it arrived the zip jammed solid when you put any weight on it. It was a custom job and the first of this size he'd made. I returned it back and it was sorted and turned round quickly.

I'm still using it many years on without any real complaint. It's so long that the footbox is pretty useless but I don't really need it/notice the lack of it.

I've still got my eye on an official WBBB though. It's the cost that's ridiculous though.

Jun 14, 2017
Surrey
The tarp has arrived and a very quick look appears all ok. It looks very well made but being my first tarp I'm no expert.

Does anyone know if I need to seal the ridgeline on the tarp or is it good to go?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The tarp has arrived and a very quick look appears all ok. It looks very well made but being my first tarp I'm no expert.

Does anyone know if I need to seal the ridgeline on the tarp or is it good to go?

It's always a good idea to seal the ridgeline; there are few things more annoying and less comfortable than a persistent ridge seam drip in wet weather!

Aug 22, 2017
uk
Wish I'd found this thread before I began my arduous journey with UKHammocks in May.

Barely any communication, phone number gives you an automated message claiming they're still in Sweden - despite receiving an email from Matt himself saying he'd recently returned. That email was over a month ago and claimed the order would be finished by 'end of the week' - it shipped late August, AFTER I'd already requested a refund.

Luckily my CC company came through for me and provided a chargeback. I've no idea what's going on at UKhammocks, but it seems like they're well and truly asleep at the wheel.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I had some issues with a Woodsman X and under and top quilts that I got a few years ago. The quilts were useable but not worth the price paid for the quality in my opinion, there were a few dodgy bits of stitching and a cord lock that kept disappearing into the seam, but they worked so I kept them. The woodsman X hammock I used for the first time this year and found the quality to be awful, dodgy stitching, whoopie slings were not spliced very well, bug net pulled on the first night and it felt like I was being tipped out after a long night I chucked it in the bin (bit of a temper tantrum). I complained to Mat and he offered to have the hammock back and fix it (I felt very silly explaining what I had done) and was then offered a 50% discount on a new hammock, so thought I'd give them another chance and told Mat that I wanted a double layer hammock with the layers sealed and that it was needed for the 16th October (ordered on 6th September) and was told it would be 3 weeks. On the 3rd October they posted a picture on Facebook of some hammocks being made, I asked if one of them was mine and they replied that it was and would be sent out the following Monday and be here in time for my trip......on the 12th October I emailed to ask where my hammock was and was told that it wasn't made yet and couldn't be rushed, so no hammock for my trip.

When I got home the hammock was waiting for me and I have had a quick look, but not too impressed...I was expecting a nice subdued hammock but came with white/silver whoopie slings, a neon green ridgeline and white zip pulls and looked a bit like it was thrown together with odds from the workshop and the layers weren't sealed as asked. I have emailed and complained and after 5 days all they said was that I had a very generous offer of 50% off and that as I'm not happy that I should send it back for a refund. I'm going to keep the hammock and replace the slings, ridgeline and possibly the zip pulls but have told them I won't be using them again.

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
On a positive note. I ordered a tarp from them on Thursday and it arrived today. With a quick inspection all seems good.
Communication was good with regular status updates

So all in all my experience with UK hammocks deserves a two thumb's up.

Jun 7, 2016
Dorset
Maybe it’s me but I have ordered 4 items and never had any of these problems. However I’m still awaiting a knife to arrive from survive knives in the US for the last two years... Custom quality takes time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE