UKhammocks top quilt and other problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'v had dozens of nights in my woodsmanX......yet to find any point to that footbox 'sag' adjuster

I know, it's an odd arrangement.

I've used the same trees a couple of times, and sort of felt my head could loll over the side a bit. I'm hoping that a longer span might make the hammock behave differently.

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
I wish i had done some better research before i ordered a jungle bushcraft chair from Ukh, i ordered mine in early March, and been fed all the same excuses that are all in the post, including that they were re locating the workshop to yorkshire........ That post was 2008!!!!!!! After being reassured by Matt that my chair had been dispatched 3 times now..( havent recieved anything), i asked for a refund last week, as did my mate who also ordered from them............
I have yet to see if the refund has been put into my account, but this seems a common problem with this company..... I certainly will not be recommending them as they seem to not be able to meet their orders anytime soon...... Shame really, so i ordered a dd youth hammock after a e mail conversation, and it was sent the next day! Thats proper service from DD Hammocks!!!

Firnnole

Sep 1, 2013
Berkshire
I ordered an underquilt in February and I do hope I get it before the cold weather starts again :/ It's a pity their customer service is crap because their products are pretty good. I've sent an email today to see if it will be coming any time soon and I will continue to wait and hope

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mat needs to get on here and elsewhere properly address these problems. I did get my WoodsmanX in reasonable time, but an assurance that things will get better and more organised would go a long way to prevent him bankrupting the business.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
This is really disappointing.
I've been waiting for the issues to get sorted before pulling the trigger on an EDC hammock and Jungle Chair.
Looks like the issues might be getting worse.
Does anyone know where I could source similar? Or who are the best people to see about having something similar made?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The EDC is even smaller than that TWhammock, and the zipper makes it good for gear storage above or beside the main hammock.

Can also be used to disguise expedition leaders...

This is one that I got part done from Matt, he provided the zip and I installed it. Didn't do it quite right, so the zip tends to sit on one side of the hammock, rather than at the top, but overall its not a complicated construction.

May 22, 2016
Northampton
Just an update from me. 5 months on and still no hammock, contact or reply to my e.mails, including the ones asking to cancel and refund. Avoid like the plague and don't believe the poor excuses. Plenty of decent companies out there, especially in the states if you can stomach the import fees.
As said before, I've been saved from being out of pocket by Barclaycard.

Sad to be adding to this thread as have used UKHammocks and met Mat when he was last based Leeds way. Have lots of his gear and have always valued his advice.

Order placed on 31st December 2017 for Ground-dweller TQ, c.£175 paid on CC. Have used phone, email and contact form on a number of occasions since. Always polite, never pushy or rude, I understood the timescales were between 5 to 8 weeks, it was the argon version so needed materials from US etc etc. Only received one email that was a promise of manufacture and dispatch in late April. Nothing else and certainly no quilt.

Dispute raised with CC today. Fingers crossed for a refund via them. Sadly at the mo' I'd have to say avoid UKHammocks until whatever mess they're in gets sorted out.

Refunded. Apparently due to difficulties with supply of argon from US though that doesn't quite tally with the email a month earlier saying it was about to be stuffed, nor excuse the lack of any comm's.

HI

I've been watching this one for a while having come across it right after I'd just placed an order for multiple quits and hammocks. I confess it bothered me so I've kept track of how it went.

I got a promise date of 5.5 weeks for the lot, so checked up by email on progress after 4.5 weeks and was told there was a delay for arrival of sustainable down due to issues at the supplier. It put a week on the original date.

In the end, I got the whole order just over 5.5 weeks from order. I've been through the whole lot of it and I'm over the moon if I'm honest. Really looking forward to getting into mine.

I asked mat what was going on directly after ordering and seeing this and he replied that the move hadn't helped, a particular member of the team had been replaced and the IT was screwed up.

In the event, I can only say what I found personally .... I'm sure there were problems but I got some great gear after pretty much the waiting time I was told at the start. No quality issues at all.

Hopefully, things may now be sorted.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I think it only fair I post my positive experience with UKHammocks.

I've been considering buying a Heavyweight EDC Hammock and Jungle Chair for a while. Although I've been put off by some of the negative reviews.
However after seeing some recent positive reviews and testimonials (and noting the main problems seemed to be sourcing down) I thought it was worth a try.
Especially since the consensus seems to be Mat is a top bloke.

I ordered the items on the afternoon of Thursday 8th of June, and also since I am a huge lump asked to check that the items would be ok for my weight (approx 25 stone - 155kgs.) and I would receive them before August.
Initially I was a little concerned because I could only get an automated message by phone and no replies to my email or facebook message. However I received a reply on Monday apologising for the delay and telling me that they would change the usual suspension to ensure they'd work for me. They also said they would be sent out within the week.
So far so good.
Email and facebook confirmation they were dispatched on Wednesday morning and I received them today the 15th.
On inspection I could not fault the quality of the stitching or the finish. The suspension had been swapped to dyneema rather than paracord which should be a lot stronger with less give. The Jungle Chair is a fantastic size for me being so big.
The EDC hammock seemed to be very light weight considering it was meant to be a heavyweight version and the wrong colour (normal is coyote and heavyweight is green). So since I didn't particularly want to damage myself or the hammock by possibly testing it to destruction I decided to double check with UKhammocks.
I tried phoning but couldn't get through and then sent an email but received an automated response. I then sent the same message to their facebook page with a picture of the hammock and had a reply within 10 mins from Mat.
Mat said that it was a mistake and the hammock should have been double thickness, he apologised and said I should donate the lightweight hammock to a friend and he'd have a replacement sent out in the morning.
At the moment I am an extremely satisfied customer, I can't believe how quickly this has been sorted and the quality of the customer service. I'm just sorry I didn't pull the trigger sooner.
I'm also thinking this lightweight hammock is gonna make a great present for my mate who owns the wooded area I play in, I'm going to be incredibly popular.

So in summary I can only speak to my own experience but I would definitely recommend UKHammocks. I would humbly suggest to pay via paypal or credit card just in case, and maybe try to speak to Mat direct before ordering anything bespoke.
Clearly there still seem to be issues, but 10/10 for me, from start to finish.
I will further report when I receive my heavyweight hammock.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Good to see that there are also some positive comments coming out and that hopefully normal service has been resumed.

My EDC hammock is by far my most treasured item of camping equipment. I seldom go into the woods without it. I recently got a whoopie suspension kit for it and it's given me more flexibility in where I hang it.

I've also been using the Woodsman hammock (this doesn't have the bug net) regularly for 3yrs now and it's still in great condition. No fraying or loose stitching, just really well made kit that you can rely on. I keep thinking about upgrading to the Woodsman X or Expedition but there really isn't any need.

Hopefully everyone that has had problems will get their issues rectified.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Hopefully everyone that has had problems will get their issues rectified.

I never did, not any explanation, apology, acknowledgement of problems or anything, just radio silence, that grated a lot with me at the time and didn't make me feel like I was dealing with someone who gave a s**t.

Still, that aside, we could really do with a decent UK manufacturer to supplement the few like DD, Tenth Wonder etc, so if they've finally got their act together again at last then everybody benefits, might be a bit early still to make that call but here's hoping they come good again.

Jul 10, 2017
Devon
I have to admit, I'm a bit gutted that I didn't see this thread before I paid for a Woodsman X and an EDC hammock a few weeks ago. They came recommended to me by Ben McNutt of Woodsmoke, for a long-term move to Papua New Guinea I'm making in a couple of months. I had a message to say it would be 4.5 weeks delivery, so plenty of time. However, I got a dispatch note for the EDC a week ago, but still nothing in the post, no reply to emails, or any further FB messages about my query.
Highly worrying.....

Meadows

Mar 15, 2015
Sheffield
These issues have been going on for years. It seems it's pot luck whether you get a good product on time or nothing or massively late or something that is not up to scratch.

artschool

Forager
Sep 14, 2014
chester
Mat said that it was a mistake and the hammock should have been double thickness, he apologised and said I should donate the lightweight hammock to a friend and he'd have a replacement sent out in the morning.

same thing happened to me except that I had to pay to return the wrong item sent to me and never received a refund on the postage.

Jun 14, 2017
Surrey
I recently emailed asking how long an order for one of their tarps would take and was told they're ready to ship the next day. OK, I thought, order placed in the afternoon. The item didn't ship the next day, now reading this thread has got me slightly concerned.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I've meant to update this for a while, I received my heavyweight EDC hammock within 4/5 days and have been using it in the garden ever since, it's an excellent bit of kit.

I can only speak to my experience but I would definitely recommend.

In fact I have been so impressed with the EDC hammock I'm thinking of having something bespoke made for me later in the year when funds allow.
However please just bear in mind that I can only speak to my experience and I hope others with issues become happy customers soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE