disorganised hobby

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ladanddad

Mar 2, 2009
northern ireland
At work I have to play by quite strict rules(required for the safty of all in my work place)

At home the rules have a different name and volume.

In the woods I can do what I want, when and how I want, within reason.

Organised clubs just do not seem to suit me, although I have nothing against them, they are probably a lot of fun if its what suits the individual. Personally I need to have a degree of disorganisation and isolation and usually only join in with informal semi organised groups.

Sorry if it was made official I would have to go under ground or find a new hobby.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
......with varying degrees of hardcore or poundstore kit.......

What a fantastic quote!
happy0034.gif

And in reply to the original point, I consider myself to be organized and self disciplined, be it on the water, in camp management, and other aspects of being outdoors.

Besides which, all the 'Governing Bodies' in the world will not affect how individuals or groups conduct themselves outdoors, its all about personal responsibility.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
It'll never happen by 'crafters eg between us we couldn't even decide if the talking stick should be yew or titanium ;)

Though another group of people, under a different name, might get together make decisions and legislate that we abide by them.

Improviser

Tenderfoot
I can understand the benefits of some sort of bushcrafting organisation, like a club wherein land is bought which people can then use, but I think people are wary of the idea of legislation because there suddenly becomes a `correct` way to do things, Any kind of ruling body would monopolize the industry very quickly and make money from it. For instance, you wouldnt be able to teach unless you were `approved` by their standard, and probably that would involve paying them, and any deviation from their standard would not be recognised as legitimate practice.
At the end of the day, bushcraft is a word that encompasses a huge number of other crafts, it isnt a singular persuit like diving, which has a need for PADI and such.

Here here BRAVO! :D
Well said firecrest best post on this thread - keep the money making jump on the bandwagon legislaters out, the b******s are into everything in the UK already ! :cussing:

MancsMan

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2008
Manchester
Don’t we already have a junior “Bushcraft(ish) organisational body to a great extent know as the Scout Association?

The non-regimented, relaxed attitude towards enjoying our out-door spaces, would be eroded by a governing body. Anything beyond the “leave only footprints” attitude and practice would drive me back to campsites.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
No No No! For me the point of Bushcraft is to get away from being organised, however good the reasons, and be my own man doing it my own way.

LEAVE ME ALONE!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE