Defining bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Yes I'm well aware that this is a topic that has been almost done to death over the years (and the answer seems to boil down to it's whatever you want it to be!) I thought some people might be interested in this nevertheless. I came across this short Youtube video the other day which gives a simple take on it. I think they make a very reasonable stab at capturing the various strands and presenting them in a succinct and straightforward way.

People may be interested that Stuart Goring contributes to the video (and doesn't the presenter remind you of some fella who runs a UK bushcraft forum.....;)

[video=youtube;VxvVfgx9PBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxvVfgx9PBU[/video]

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I very nearly passed this by with a weary sigh of "not again!"...
I am glad I took a look as it is probably the best summation of "What is Bushcrafdt?" that I have come across.
Not perfect ... but close:)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Couldn't disagree with the diagram and its exposition, always thought this. He could have included studies such as Experimental Archaeology and Physiology that create theories tested by these pursuits and whose conclusions can be fed back to improve the experience in specific areas such as authenticity or materials used.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I agree very good, not to clutter and explains it simply to those that don't have the knowledgeable. As we already know K.I.S.S

Oh Should of said thank you for posting

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Still not sure, why we have to define it

I am always being asked...what is bushcraft, some just take the do you know Uncle Ray tack , but others want more and seeing this give a really simple way of putting it, in a way its show we are a very interesting bunch with interests in nature, the world past, present and future.. sounds good to me :):):).

Last edited:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Interesting how the same short video can be interpreted by different people, or at least people who look at a subject from different angles. I'm not a Bushcrafter, I merely camp in the woods or isolated places so my view will be different to the ...wait for it...Bushcraft Community.

I thought that short video by people involved in the commercial side of Bushcraft was excellent. In a few minutes he expanded his potential customer base to include people who may have felt "Left out" in the past.
I was expecting the video to end with...

"We actually have some primitive flint and steel fire lighting sets in our shop and we also stock Tomahawks, just like the Frontiersmen carried if you're a re-enactor. Ah! yes that canvas backpack is just like the originals. Survivalist? yep we have a range of kits or individual items to make your own, it's all in our Bushcraft shop. The 'Bushcraft' course we're running in Namibia where you learn to suck moisture from a Toad may interest you...Yes I know you live in Coventry but you never know when such knowledge will be handy for a Bushcrafter"..:lmao:

But does it really matter? One life, a limited time to really do what appeals to the individual, so why not? Each to their own and as long as it causes no harm, and if detractors don't like it...tough..;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE