Dangers from insect bites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
The importance of medical preparation and preventive medicine were brought home this week in albeit a minor way.

A few days ago I was stung or bitten by an insect on the inside of my upper arm, at the time I thought it was nothing and carried on. The next day I had a red itchy patch, so took some anti-histamine which calmed the itch. However the next day two thirds of my arm was swollen, red, itchy and painful. My elbow was stiff and I had pins & needles in my fingers.

The infection was probably introduced with the bite, however if I had cleaned and covered it at the time it might have stopped a secondary infection if one was present. As it was now obvious that something more sinister was going on I started taking Anti-inflammatory tablets and antibiotics both of which I had at home. 24 hours later it had calmed down considerable although was still red and slightly itchy.

If I hadn’t had those drugs the whole experience would have been a lot longer and more unpleasant as it was it was a minor inconvenience. It is possible that the infection could have spread to the lymphatic system in which case stronger drugs and possibly a stay in hospital would be required, not always possible in a disaster, survival or remote situation.

Possible complications from intreated insect/bite stings depending on where in the world you are include.

impetigo - a highly contagious bacterial infection that causes sores or blisters

cellulites - an infection that makes your skin red, swollen and painful

folliculitis - inflammation of one or more hair follicles

lymphangitis - an infection that causes red streaks in your armpit or groin and swollen lymph nodes

Lyme Disease leading to meningitis, facial palsy or encephalitis

West Nile Fever

Malaria

Anaphylaxis

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My mum got a bite on the back of her ear on saturday. woke up monday looking like she had been in a scrum. 5 days of antibotics perscribed by a doctor and swab taken. We have had a lot of tick on the ferrets this week, they havent been futher than the garden, but we are beginning to think it might be either they stick their busy fuzzy faces down a rat/hedghog run or we used contaminated bedding.

I think it is important that antibotics are only used correctly. Self perscribing and under dosing is very dangerous for safety of future generations.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Lyme Disease leading to meningitis, facial palsy or encephalitis..."

Lyme Disease doesn't have to lead to anything, it is bad enough on its own. Treatment should be swift and with a specific type of antibiotics, which antibiotic did you have available?

Last edited:

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I think it is important that antibotics are only used correctly. Self perscribing and under dosing is very dangerous for safety of future generations.

Agree. Not to mention less effective for the self-prescriber. Antibiotics are a huge range of drugs, with different applications, and specific preparations targeted to certain types and locations of infection. This I know, but I know no more about it: if I was worried about Lyme's (rightly or wrongly), I certainly wouldn't trust myself to pick the appropriate treatment for that, let alone have the right drug lying around at home by chance.

However, I agree with the OP about the importance of prevantative medicine.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As someone who really suffers from the effects of insect bites; I've just had a cyst removed from my scalp that was the remains of a cleg bite and the stitches are driving me nuts with the itch; I now carry an epi-pen, just in case :sigh:
might I suggest that one of the best pre-emptive strikes is to take anti histamine when you know there's a chance you might get bitten ? Midges, clegs, mosquitos......the anti histamine stops the worst of the reaction and stops the scratching that really inflames and damages the skin letting infection take hold.
Anti biotics are too precious to play around with. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Xylaria, the ticks thing came up on another thread not long since. The reckoning was that a couple of Quail will clear ticks from an acre of ground in short order :D.......and they lay good eggs too :D

cheers,
M

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
...take anti histamine when you know there's a chance you might get bitten ?

That's what hayfever sufferers do, yes.
Or, indeed, treat a bite with a topical antihistamine, rather than a systemic one.

Last edited:

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
I have a range of prescription drugs available. In this Instance I used flucloxacillin 500mg 4xday for a week.
This is a first line treatment for skin and wound infections. I am qualified to administer drugs.

I agree antibiotics should not be used inappropriately this is only the second lot I've taken in the last 10 years or so.

My point was its useful to both be aware and prepared for possible complications particularly if you cannot readily access medical help.

Anti-histamines are excellent for most situations and if you in danger of anaphylaxis adrenalin is a must.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
If you're not a doctor or a pharmacist you shouldn't be self-medicating. Even if you are, it is best practice to get a colleague's opinion.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a range of prescription drugs available. In this Instance I used flucloxacillin 500mg 4xday for a week.
This is a first line treatment for skin and wound infections. I am qualified to administer drugs...

Every time I've been prescribed ANY anti-biotics, it was always a ten day course, and usually 6 times a day.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Horses for courses old chap. Not all infections require 10 days and the 10 day rule tends to be a USA thing. Application varies from 4/5 days, in Europe, to a life time depending upon the condition etc, etc.

As for precscribing there are some wonderful books out there specifically designed for wilderness use and lone sailors. They are intended for those who do not have a hospital on hand or a formally qualified health practitoner.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Horses for courses old chap. Not all infections require 10 days and the 10 day rule tends to be a USA thing. Application varies from 4/5 days, in Europe, to a life time depending upon the condition etc, etc...

I suspect the 10 day rule is overkill. But isn't that the point? To make sure that whatever you're fighting is well and truly dead so that bit doesn't come back with an immunity to the antibiotics? As for "a lifetime," I cain't imagine anything that would live a lifetime and NOT develop an immunity? Or are you perhaps referring to a preventative course for HIV patients or similar?

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I suspect the 10 day rule is overkill. But isn't that the point? To make sure that whatever you're fighting is well and truly dead so that bit doesn't come back with an immunity to the antibiotics? As for "a lifetime," I cain't imagine anything that would live a lifetime and NOT develop an immunity? Or are you perhaps referring to a preventative course for HIV patients or similar?

As I said horses for course old bean. Lack of slpeen due to removal from infection etc, etc, list is endless. As for overkill it is often argued that extended use of drugs is a contributor to developing immunity to the drug or group of drugs in question. But this is an academic argument in a manner of speaking, the initial comments stand, bites need appropriate attention, wound cleaning and treating like any other wound in the wilds.

S

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As short a term as possible is considered the optimum use, especially since we excrete some of the antibiotics and it ends up in the environment. Cows fed antibiotics for things like mastitis exude it in their milk too. It's one of the things that gets tested for by the lab staff of big dairy companies.

Basically the more there is around, the more chance there is for the buggits to get a chance to develop immune strains.

I can fully understand folks living remotely, or in such a way that quick access to medical assistance isn't always possible carrying antibiotics, but for most folks, even those working and camping away from home, there's really not a problem getting to a Doctor.
The topic came up a while back and Wicca made a very good point when he said that he can be at sea for weeks on end so for him they're a standard part of his first aid kit.
I don't think they really belong there for most of us though.

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As short a term as possible is considered the optimum use, especially since we excrete some of the antibiotics and it ends up in the environment. Cows fed antibiotics for things like mastitis exude it in their milk too. It's one of the things that gets tested for by the lab staff of big dairy companies.

Basically the more there is around, the more chance there is for the buggits to get a chance to develop immune strains...

Generally it's agreed that overuse is part of the cause of immunity. But overuse in the sense of prescribing it too often, NOT in the sense of using too high a dosage or too long a course. As I said, too small a dosage or too short a course only weakens the infection and it returns (mutates) with an immunity. I still stand by my statements.

Toddy, one of the ways antibiotices gets into the environment (the most prevelent way incidentally) is the older practice of flushing those with expired dates down the toilet. Now discouraged but I suspect it still hapens too often.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As I said horses for course old bean. Lack of slpeen due to removal from infection etc, etc, list is endless.and do..

I'm sure the list is indeed endless. But one of my cousins lost his spleen about 34 years ago (due to an offshore oil rig accident) and no mention of antibiotics (apart from the preventative course following surgery) have never been mentioned. Maybe I'm missing something?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
This year i am taking a beating at home from mozzies which is unusual. Currently nusring 3 bites on my feet, 4 torso and arms and a few lovely ones on my face :(
Antihistamines oral, AH cream, and hydrocortizone is just taking the edge off but either way its elephant man for 3-5 days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE