Bee Propolis for skin repair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I really should shout about this stuff!

There’s a mix of all sorts in there so it might be something else or it might be the propolis but this cream has blown me away!

In summary, bad skin issues on one ankle has left me battling pain and repeated infection for a few years. If I had been offered foot amputation I would have taken it up 100 times! I remembered propolis from using it on eczema as a kid and found this.

Amazingly the skin has healed over in a week where other treatments haven’t managed to just go that final step of getting it to fully heal. There are all sorts of other options as to why it has finally healed so it may not be this but I would recommend any with a persistent issue to try it.

The tub looks pricey for the size but you barely use any per application and will last a long time.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Interesting, I've wondered if I can use the propolis our bees produce. I also have a patient/victim to try it out on. Any chance you can list out or photo the ingredients?

As a side note I planted some hybrid poplar as a wind break a few years back and the our bees really love them as a source of propolis. Down side is they love to stick down their hives, frames and anything else they can with the stuff.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Interesting, I've wondered if I can use the propolis our bees produce. I also have a patient/victim to try it out on. Any chance you can list out or photo the ingredients?

As a side note I planted some hybrid poplar as a wind break a few years back and the our bees really love them as a source of propolis. Down side is they love to stick down their hives, frames and anything else they can with the stuff.
It’s (apparently) quite easy to harvest propolis from your own hives and then you can make tinctures or whatever you want with it.

Reactions: slowworm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Simplest base I know to use propolis is to melt beeswax, doesn't matter if there's some honey in it, in a bain marie (wee pot over a big pot full of hot water) and when it's melted just add in the propolis. Stir until it's all melted together, then strain quickly through a bit of cloth. That catches all the debris, and you're left with a kind of mushroom coloured liquid that hardens up.
If it's too hard, melt it down again and add some oil. I like almond (Prunus dulcis) but olive's good too. Just something clean and good on your skin.

Folks add in all sorts of things, like VitE capsules, essential oils, etc., but personally I find KISS works fine for most things like this.

Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The ingredients are all listed in the link. Quite a few bits in there!
I missed the ingredients tab when I looked, so propolis and various veg oils. I would be interested to hear how you get on over time as well.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It’s (apparently) quite easy to harvest propolis from your own hives and then you can make tinctures or whatever you want with it.
I'm forever scraping the stuff off! Actually I was a bit unsure what to use, things like the queen excluder has brittle stuff which I think is more pure propolis and the frame ends and box runners have a more waxy propolis mix. As the balm seems to use wax I could use either.

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'm forever scraping the stuff off! Actually I was a bit unsure what to use, things like the queen excluder has brittle stuff which I think is more pure propolis and the frame ends and box runners have a more waxy propolis mix. As the balm seems to use wax I could use either.
I think either would be fine. You can get like a queen excluder like thing for harvesting propolis, but some people say to just put a cotton tea towel on top and then put that in the freezer and the propolis will flake off.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dads taken a tumble, and got a cut.

Shame its on his shin. (We know what shin injuries are like).

(He has had X rays; dont worry, as I was doing).

Do you think this propolis will help?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Dads taken a tumble, and got a cut.

Shame its on his shin. (We know what shin injuries are like).

(He has had X rays; dont worry, as I was doing).

Do you think this propolis will help?
I can’t give any specific medical advice but if it’s being slow to fully heal then I would give it a try. I’m certainly planning to keep it in my arsenal.

I’m still quite amazed at the transformation. I could show pics but I don’t think anyone really wants to see!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Well I made a small batch using the propolis I kept from cleaning a super. My recipe was a bit more rustic, I substituted the filtering stage for picking out the squished bees. (Actually, I saved the propolis as it seemed very clean so the mix didn't need filtering).

So I've ended up with a dark mushroomy balm and trying it out on my patient.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE