Customs Brokerage in Vancouver, BC

bearbait

Hi there,

I'm planning a couple of trips to NW Canada (from the UK) and need to source some gear from the US. I need to engage a Canadian Customs Broker to smooth the passage of the shipments for me.

Any recommendations or gotchas for Customs Brokers/brokerage in Vancouver area? (A huge list turns up when googled!) I've seen the odd thread that UPS brokerage is expensive, and UPS also tell me that they need to deliver the shipment to a pukka address for COD settlement, so a Poste Restante (aka General Delivery) address is no good. I need a broker that will hold the shipment for me, probably only for a few days after receipt.

Anyway, many TIA...

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
Greetings,

Having lived in Canada most of my life and frequently order items that are shipped across the border I find that it is not a difficult task. On most outdoor items there is no need for using a customs broker and the post office will collect the GST required and charge a $5.00CAD handling fee. Quite reasonable. If needs be, you may be able to locate a forum member who's address you could use for shipping.

As a visitor to Canada you are allowed to bring into the country personal goods from the US. If you are planning for immediate resale things get a little stickier. However, if you are purchasing items for your trip, bringing them into Canada and happen to dispose of them prior to returning to the UK there should not be an issue.

If you post some of the items that you are looking for I may be able to direct you towards suppliers that can provide these items in Canada.

bearbait

Hi there Grey Owl,

Many thanks for your comments.

I'm probably going to be OK with the last few small general items as I'll get them from MEC. The things I'm going to have to pay taxes on are a couple of larger items from the US - the tent and a stove I've pretty well settled on. I'll also want a camp cot but a google search throws up plenty in Canada. However your recommendation as to a reasonable quality one would be much appreciated!

One of the suppliers I've been talking to says that Canada Post won't take items from UPS for General Delivery; they say "A General Delivery address can only accept Parcel Post shipments." I guess it makes sense for me to use the Customs Broker to handle the import and hold it/them for my arrival. I'll be entering Canada from the UK initially so I can't bring anything in from the US - and I'm pretty well at my baggage allowance now!

Once again, many thanks for your comments...

bb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE