A guide and helpful info for traveling with Knives, equipment, etc.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
I have seen many threads where the OP has asked about taking knives, axes, etc abroad for one reason or another. So I thought I would post this, in order to help any future question that may arise.

I have over many years travelled quite extensively, either for pleasure, or for work, and many of these i have been either taking tools, equipment of both. I have I might add never had any problems with local customs agents purely because before traveling, I spent a couple of hours in preparation, asking the right questions.

Firstly

With no offense meant to anyone, just because a person off the forum says its OK doesn’t actually meant it is, and you would have no legal defense if you got it wrong.

Laws change, and they change all the time. what may have been legal at one time, may be considered illegal now.

Some airlines will in fact refuse to carry certain items, even if they are stowed in the hold, its alway a good idea to check their list of prohibited items. Remember your cases are scanned beforehand, and you may be refused passage, on what you have within your cases, until they are removed

Secondary

Unless you are traveling to a Country that doesn’t have open diplomatic relations with your Country, then most Countries maintain a Embassy or Consulate office in most other Countries. These offices are there, not just to provide diplomatic assistance to their nationals while they are abroad, but to also offer information about their Countries to those wishing to travel. Over the years I’ve contacted many Consulate offices and Embassies, and have found the staff I've spoken too helpful and informative, even being able to speak to on occasion someone from the actual area I was traveling too.
They can provide you with contact details of agencies and government offices in their countries, who you can e-mail, call, or send a letter to, asking whatever question you need answering. I would also take this opportunity to say That these people want you to be safe and have a good time while visiting their countries, It's counter productive for all involved if problems arise, not to mention bad press, for either parties. call the people and ask, about any possible problems with the equipment you are intending to bring into the Country, keep a printed version of all corespondents, and always remember to get names, and if possible badge numbers.

Thirdly

Have a reasonable reason for why you are taking this equipment. a ‘Just because i want to” is not always a valid reason, Some countries have no problem with the importation off for instance knives, as long as a) they are for personnel use b) are used in a legal activity c) conform to local guidelines on type, size, etc.
When packing these items make sure they are packed well, but clearly marked for what they are and make sure edges and point are properly covered, if a customs officer cuts themselves while searching your baggage, expect a non-to-friendly reaction. Trying to hide something is going to make any customs official suspicious as to your intent. I always have an inventory of items Im taking pre-printed, in both English and the local Language, that I can give to any official who may desire to inspect my bags, it saves time and again, shows your are not hiding anything. If anything is confiscated remember to get a receipt from the officer, and also his badge number, check the details on the receipt, and take it up later, making a scene in the airport will only lead to getting yourself into further trouble, or possibly arrested. Make a to-the-point written request for the return of your goods including references of whom and which office advised you that it was OK, and if possible photocopies of these transcripts. Be polite but firm in your letter, but please don't try and quote chapter and verse, unless you are a qualified local legal eagle it's very unlikely you would win, ask for justification, and if possible a more senior officer to review, making sure that they have all the relevant documentation. However don't be surprised if the return of your goods will not happen until you have returned home, but make arrangements to cover postal or courier collection.

CASH

It should be noted if you are carrying large amounts of cash (£1000+) then most European Countries require you to declare this, and provide proof of where it has come from. A simple Bank statement and cashiers receipt is usually quite adequate. Failure to do so can mean confiscation of your holiday money. I have actually seen this happen flying into Australia, the person in front of me had a very large amount of hard cash on them, and no way of proving where it came from, they we detained for further questioning, and quite possibly lost the money, until they could prove it was theirs, it actually said this on the immigration form you are given, so no real defence. they don't care if it is your money, and are not trying to steal it, they are however trying to stop illegal organisation the likes of whom fund drugs, etc. from moving money about, without control, but they don't take too kindly when people try to put one past them, so don't expect any sympathy if you are caught.

Finally
Don’t get ‘arsey’ if you get searched, they are doing their job, its nothing personal. let them do it, and if possible provide any and all assistance you can. having copies of relevant documents available, names, and addresses of the places you are staying. photocopies of booking forms, receipts and confirmation letters, etc all help you if there is a problem.
The British Consulate operates offices in most Countries, and provide help to UK citizen when the needs approaches, In Countries that do not have a British Consulate, the UK Government has arrangements with other friendly governments to provide emergency support to UK citizens in distress. It is worth noting however that if you do run foul of the local law, they can only provide advice, and limited assistance. Basically! YOU did the CRIME, YOU DO THE TIME. They will not intervene to get you off.Have address and contact details for your local consulate office on you, just in case

here is a link for those wishing to enter the UK, it is issued by HM Customs, and pages 11 onward contain what you must declare to UK customs or seek special permission in bring into the country.

UK CUSTOMS GUIDE PDF

And most of all be safe, have a great time, emerge yourself into new experiences and bring back only fond memories

Da.

Last edited:
Reactions: Orhdposs

udamiano

On a new journey
Thanks Steve.

As we are a global community it would be very helpful for members from different Countries if possible to paste similar links to their own Countries advice on restricted/banned Goods.
And would certainly be helpful for those asking the same question in the future. I would suggest a link as opposed to copy and paste, as stated above these regulations do change, and a link can be updated the other end without leaving incorrect information this, I would also suggest that the link is to official Government agencies only, not heresay sites.

Da

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
  1. Thanks Steve.

As we are a global community it would be very helpful for members from different Countries if possible to paste similar links to their own Countries advice on restricted/banned Goods.
    And would certainly be helpful for those asking the same question in the future. I would suggest a link as opposed to copy and paste, as stated above these regulations do change, and a link can be updated the other end without leaving incorrect information this, I would also suggest that the link is to official Government agencies only, not heresay sites.

Da

Here you go: www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items It lists items that are allowed in checked baggage but prohibitted in carry on as well as items that are banned altogether. It also gives packing requirements for items such as ammunition. Bear in mind though that it is NOT a list of items illegal to own or possess in the US.

udamiano

On a new journey

1. Here you go: www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items It lists items that are allowed in checked baggage but prohibitted in carry on as well as items that are banned altogether. It also gives packing requirements for items such as ammunition. Bear in mind though that it is NOT a list of items illegal to own or possess in the US.

Thanks Santaman2000, it all helps and makes it easier when looking for information if its all in the one place :approve:

Keep them coming please folks it makes sense and helps your fellow crafters out

we now have:

United Kingdom of Great Britain
United States of America

Last edited:

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
Last year I travelled to Greenland (via Denmark)with a firearm for self defense and this summer I'm hoping for a trip to Svalbard.

These countries are both relaxed toward guns, and indeed mandate them in some situations.

I found both countries very helpfull in answering my questions, the answers which weren't immediately obvious on their websites.

This post is as much to inform as it is to echo the above saying that asking questions early can help immensely when planning these trips.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE