current issue goretex boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hi all, as per title, anyone got any? the current issue goretex boot that is a copy of the lowa hi leg mountain boots. vibram soles. look very good, just wondered if they are good.

cheers
Rob

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
I had some not so long ago the boots were great waterproof insulated only problem was the sole disintegrated after a week, mine may have come from a bad batch but they were brand new in box when they came and were current issue so watch out. hope this helps

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I had some not so long ago the boots were great waterproof insulated only problem was the sole disintegrated after a week, mine may have come from a bad batch but they were brand new in box when they came and were current issue so watch out. hope this helps

hmmm. not a good start!

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I have been wearing mine a lot over the winter, no problems so far.
Very toasty even in the snow.

PREPER........ :)

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I have been wearing mine a lot over the winter, no problems so far.
Very toasty even in the snow.

PREPER........ :)
are they a generous fit? or about as you would expect? i wear a M fitting standard assualt boot with thick socks or 2 pairs of thinner socks, looking at a pair of L on the bay, are they gonna be mahoosive?

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Just got a pair, waiting to get them on and see how they fair, to be honest heard a few bad things about the sole.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Just got a pair, waiting to get them on and see how they fair, to be honest heard a few bad things about the sole.

i have heard bad press about the soles, but thought that was the pro-boot that this current one has replaced? is it not the case? the pro-boot was basically an assualt boot with goretex lining, and the soles crumbled? no? this current one is the copy of the lowa combat boot and has vibram soles, do vibrams crumble? i thought they were mutts nuts?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I had the pro boots and the sole defiantly crumbled :( , wifey has the new boots with the vibram soles they are marked the same size as here normal issue boots and fit the same, she's had them for about a year and no bad comments yet with hard use on det and ex.

EDIT: just to add the soles only crumbled after four years of hard use in very tough terrain through the colder months.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
i have heard bad press about the soles, but thought that was the pro-boot that this current one has replaced? is it not the case? the pro-boot was basically an assualt boot with goretex lining, and the soles crumbled? no? this current one is the copy of the lowa combat boot and has vibram soles, do vibrams crumble? i thought they were mutts nuts?

The boots are not issued instead of combat assault boots just for cold weather and tours, a few of the guys reckon they are good one or two had crumbly or splitting soles, to be honest they will be made on a budget if the MOD has anything to do with it and issue boots have historically been poor in comparison to other available boots. I am looking forward to getting mine on next week to test them so I will give you an update in a few weeks.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
are they a generous fit? or about as you would expect? i wear a M fitting standard assualt boot with thick socks or 2 pairs of thinner socks, looking at a pair of L on the bay, are they gonna be mahoosive?

I have two versions of the gortex boots one with vibram soles and one with the standard soles.
I needed a size bigger in both of these compared to the non gortex type army boot.
No idea why this is.

PREPER....... :)

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
The boots are not issued instead of combat assault boots just for cold weather and tours, a few of the guys reckon they are good one or two had crumbly or splitting soles, to be honest they will be made on a budget if the MOD has anything to do with it and issue boots have historically been poor in comparison to other available boots. I am looking forward to getting mine on next week to test them so I will give you an update in a few weeks.

cheers mate, that as i understood it bout being issued as well as, sorry must have sounded muddled. anyway, think i'm gonna give them a go, lets all meet back here with our thoughts on the items once we have them! lol thank you all very much for your help.
Rob

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
ive had the lowa ones and cant stress how amazing they are. they have been to every continent but antarctica. up to 5500mtrs. in rainforests, mountains, glaciers, valleys, patagonia, atacama desert etc etc etc. they have gone on for well over 5 years, are still water proof and still bloody comfortable! BUT the soles are now as flat and treadless as a piece of A4!

if your pro boots are falling to pieces and you are having to buy a new set every year or two then maybe its worth just splashing out the bit of extra cash now that will save you long term?

not jacking the thread... just throwing in my two pence worth!

ive still got the normal issue boots and old school high eyelet boots and they survived nearly ten years +!

melv

Jun 24, 2011
Wales
Did you end up getting a pair of the gore tex pro boots? Been looking at them myself and just wondered if they are worth the cost.

Cheers

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Did you end up getting a pair of the gore tex pro boots? Been looking at them myself and just wondered if they are worth the cost.

Cheers
is this for me?
if so, not yet, i have had some feedback from a surplus supplier that the first hook on the lacing system promotes an awkward fit so have held off for now. i probably will get some as i think they would be far better quality than similar style hunting boots available. i can't allow myself to buy the jack pyke hi leg boots cos, well, they are actually webtex, and they're rubbish. i can't afford the other end of the spectrum and get the lowas, military or hunting. so i more than likely will get them and give them a go and will report back on here if they are any good. they certainly look the mutts nutts in the flesh. very very hi leg, think old 'boots, combat, high' and thats about the height of them.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Here's some boot pics, just for some views of the lacing. any other pics just ask.
267787_10150311842359073_539479072_9321632_3505522_n.jpg

263908_10150311842544073_539479072_9321635_1381673_n.jpg

261702_10150311844799073_539479072_9321643_1596311_n.jpg

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
top effort southey, the 5th hook/eye, the one thats out of line with all the others. guess its the same as the one on my standard assault boots and is used to lock off the lower eyes while you adjust the upper ones to fit. if its the same it won't be a bother to me as my standard boots fit and adjust fine in relation to that eyelet.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hang on i'll get a better pic, those are quite dark, yeah the lock eye is the same as on the assault boots but set further back, lets get a god pic, give me five mins dude.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE