Crusader cup fail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
So I just got a nice new crusader cup yesterday and I did a stupid thing, I bent the handles back and the steel plate that holds them flew off. I've temporarily fixed it up with duct tape, what's the best way of getting the plate back in place without wielding it or bolting it on? Super glue is an obvious one but I don't think that works to well on metal.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Amazing the kind of stuff you learn on here. ;) Thanks, I just bought some JB weld from ebay. It's not the kind of thing I want to get on my hands though!

leon-1

As Widu13 has said JB Weld is probably your best bet unless you want to braze it in place (blow torch and brazing agent).

JB Weld is good because it has a high heat resistence where a lot of epoxies break down at 100'C, JB Weld will continue on for a lot more.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Pop rivets?.....i wouldn't have thought epoxy would stand the heat if you use it over a fire.

That said i'm surprised you managed to break the spot welds off on the plate, have you contacted the supplier?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
So I just got a nice new crusader cup yesterday

That said i'm surprised you managed to break the spot welds off on the plate, have you contacted the supplier?

I'm with swotty... You shouldn't be having to repair what is an obvious manufacturing fault.

Take it back and demand a replacement because crusader cups are supposed to be squaddie proof and shouldn't be breaking apart within 24 hours of purchase.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I'm with swotty... You shouldn't be having to repair what is an obvious manufacturing fault.

Take it back and demand a replacement because crusader cups are supposed to be squaddie proof and shouldn't be breaking apart within 24 hours of purchase.

Pop rivets?.....i wouldn't have thought epoxy would stand the heat if you use it over a fire.

It's a BCB cup so I was surprised I managed to break it so easily. I did think about contacting the supplier but I didn't because
1) I was thinking it was own fault for being so silly
2) I'm due to go to France on Wednesday so I didn't think I could get the whole thing sorted out before that time.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well BCB have a decent enough reputation and should be accountable for failures in their products but I don't think BCB make the issue ones.

Did you buy it online or from a retailer you visited?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's a BCB cup so I was surprised I managed to break it so easily. I did think about contacting the supplier but I didn't because
1) I was thinking it was own fault for being so silly
2) I'm due to go to France on Wednesday so I didn't think I could get the whole thing sorted out before that time.

Who did you actually buy it from? If it's BCB direct then phone them up offer to email pics and ask them to send a replacement one out asap because you're going away.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I'd still contact them, it doesn't sound as though it was 'fit for purpose', explain your situation and say you need a replacement by Tuesday next week, if you got it on ebay you also have backup and the same if you paid by Paypal.

I've had a BCB one for years and even with my clumsey habits I haven't managed to break it!

I bought it from extreme outdoors on ebay.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I'd still contact them, it doesn't sound as though it was 'fit for purpose', explain your situation and say you need a replacement by Tuesday next week, if you got it on ebay you also have backup and the same if you paid by Paypal.

I've had a BCB one for years and even with my clumsey habits I haven't managed to break it!
They would probably want the cup back before they send one out buy the time I've paid out for express delivery to see that they get it, it won't be worth it as I paid a tenner for a cup. Maybe I'll write them anyway with pictures just to make them aware of it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Bushytoo,

Did you force the handles back? How easily did they come off. It's a difficult one (speaking as an ex retailer) but I'm wondering how well it was spot welded on. Have had whole batches of pans where the handles have popped of and I deemed them unsafe as someone could get scalded. Just something to think about.

Cheers,
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE