Crocs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crocs, Love Em or Hate Em

• Love Em

Votes: 143 43.3%
  • Hate Em

Votes: 187 56.7%

• Total voters

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Aaaah I hate this thread, but I can't help reading it! DIE CROCS DIE! I'm going to invent a political party which bans crocs, or write to David Cameron and make him add it to his manifesto.. Aaaah they're so hideous.. I'm going to go and die now..

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I dont own any trainers or denims and my phone is the most basic available - but I own some Crocs!
I am not a follower of trends or fashion but I like gear that works!

Tut, Tut John, there are no trends on this site :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: Anyway, I'm just going slip into my crocs and put away my SA Trangia, zebra pots, Ventile shirt and smock before I nip out the backyard and soak all my DPM gear in petrol and burn it:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Oct 17, 2007
Sheffield
certainly sounds like most people who dislike them haven't tryed them, and those who do like them find them amazingly comfortable, and couldn't care what they look like!

but what I find weird is how some people are calling it a 'fashion' because lots of people are wearing them. I have never seen anyone who cares about what other people think wearing them. In fact, i doubt you would find anyone who finds them nice looking!

so if noone likes the look of them, yet lots of people wear them...maybe they really are as good as they claim to be!! must try some soon!

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
I wear them everyday. In the office or out in the woods I love them!

Of course, for business meetings or stony/thorny ground in the woods I change them but for comfort I just love them. I have even grown to like being stared at walking down the street in a suit and a pair of crocs...... but perhaps that's just plain weird of me!!! haha

moonvisage

Jun 23, 2008
birmingham
certainly sounds like most people who dislike them haven't tryed them, and those who do like them find them amazingly comfortable, and couldn't care what they look like!

but what I find weird is how some people are calling it a 'fashion' because lots of people are wearing them. I have never seen anyone who cares about what other people think wearing them. In fact, i doubt you would find anyone who finds them nice looking!

so if noone likes the look of them, yet lots of people wear them...maybe they really are as good as they claim to be!! must try some soon!

Excellent conclusion.Your last sentence has persuaded me to buy a pair to try out.I dare say,a few people will point and stare at my feet,and compare my Neanderthal looking foot wear to their homo sapien looking foot wear...but i will rise above it like a real man,and forge ahead to my destination.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
A knock off pair has been on the list for a while to try. I wear sandles, but would prefer something with covered toes. Everyone who has them seems to rave about them.

As far as I know they are not a trend, but more of a discovery of a good product bought to light, by strangely enough the X-Men films.

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
Used to hate them but then bought a pair of the professional style, now will wear nothing else around the house or garden when relaxing, always wear sturdy boots to work in the garden.

Since I started wearing Crocs my feet and kness have stopped hurting as much.

Crocs are possibly in the top ten list of the ugliest footwear ever. Lots of my friends had them, and raved about how great they were, and I just didn't get it. When I went to Shetland last year, my pal Kerrie wore hers everywhere, on the campsite, in the town, on the beach and then in the showers at the campsite. She said they were brilliant, and persuaded me to buy a pair. I agreed, on the condition that I would only get them in black. I bought them in a little shop in Lerwick last June and have worn them almost every day since. They are unbelievably comfy, they're easy to clean and they don't make my feet sweat. Yep, I am a croc convert :)

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Crocks/sandals always seem like a good idea when it’s hot or wet but in my opinion they are dangerous when outdoors doing anything other than walking on a beach, which is what they presumably were designed/styled for.
The big problem with sandals and crocks is that they lull you into a false sense of foot security. Sharp objects/stick etc. Can very easily get in the holes and your forward momentum actually drives the stick like a spear into the softer part of your foot rather than deflecting it away. Ouch!
These things would seem Ideal for canoe trips but are in fact deadly hazards. They catch the water when trying to swim and in flowing water can pull you down. If you ever come out of a canoe unintentionally they can get caught up in river debris and that will be the last air you breathe.....
They also give a false notion of stability and the wide chunky styling increases the chances of turning your ankle on uneven ground considerably.
If you then take into account gravel getting in and having to take them off every 5 minutes, leaches, sand fly, black fly, tumba fly, ticks (more common in the UK than most would every believe and some with Lyme’s) mosquitoes, thorns, sunburn and worse of all paying extortionate prices for a £1 injection moulding, they are probably the most unsuitable bit of outdoor kit you can buy.
Put your boots on!

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
lol @ sunburn, leeches, ticks, bust ankles and drowning. . . These crocs should come with a health warning.

Btw, i wouldnt be without mine. Theyre just the 2 squid primark copies too. theyre comfy, instantly dry, weigh nothing and for milling round camp on a summers evening, be it hot or as wet as is now, what could be better?. And as for how they look? since when did that matter?

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I saw a friend nearly drown ‘cus they had teva’s on while sea kayaking. It ain’t no joke! The money grabbing pratts that market these for water sports should be taken 1OO meters offshore and made to swim back wearing their product.......
If a mosi is going to bite you anywhere it will be on the foot 'cus they like the smell for some unexplained reason. Providing them, and a whole host of other nasties, easy access to the one part of the body that allows you to do every other activity is just dumb. When you travel in the bush you look after your feet at all costs, that means ‘proper’ footwear and hygiene.
Any fool can be uncomfortable, that includes the guy wearing his 'glam'ping crocks in the woods. I could site wood ants, nettles, spiders (Don’t laugh, I’ve been bitten several times in Africa and it takes forever for the dam wound to heal), scorpions, the list goes on.............crocks are just that, a ‘crock of S%~t’ for the outdoors.
Ware them if you want while outdoors, but you wouldn’t catch me doing anything that foolhardy. It only takes a split second error to be in a whole world of hurt and not being able to walk is right up there in the ‘nightmare’ scenarios!

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Ware them if you want while outdoors, but you wouldn’t catch me doing anything that foolhardy. It only takes a split second error to be in a whole world of hurt and not being able to walk is right up there in the ‘nightmare’ scenarios!
We're not necessarily talking a 3-month trek through the rainforest... lots of us spend time on campsites where it's perfectly OK to wear sandles / flip-flops / crocs etc.

It's like saying you should never sleep without a mosquito net... in certain places it's foolhardy not to, but you can happily kip in the UK without one. Likewise crocs have their place, and in the UK most of the hazards you mentioned aren't an issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE