Crocs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crocs, Love Em or Hate Em

• Love Em

Votes: 143 43.3%
  • Hate Em

Votes: 187 56.7%

• Total voters

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Crocks/sandals always seem like a good idea when it’s hot or wet but in my opinion they are dangerous when outdoors doing anything other than walking on a beach, which is what they presumably were designed/styled for.
The big problem with sandals and crocks is that they lull you into a false sense of foot security. Sharp objects/stick etc. Can very easily get in the holes and your forward momentum actually drives the stick like a spear into the softer part of your foot rather than deflecting it away. Ouch!
These things would seem Ideal for canoe trips but are in fact deadly hazards. They catch the water when trying to swim and in flowing water can pull you down. If you ever come out of a canoe unintentionally they can get caught up in river debris and that will be the last air you breathe.....
They also give a false notion of stability and the wide chunky styling increases the chances of turning your ankle on uneven ground considerably.
If you then take into account gravel getting in and having to take them off every 5 minutes, leaches, sand fly, black fly, tumba fly, ticks (more common in the UK than most would every believe and some with Lyme’s) mosquitoes, thorns, sunburn and worse of all paying extortionate prices for a £1 injection moulding, they are probably the most unsuitable bit of outdoor kit you can buy.
Put your boots on!

You should report these shoes to the Health and Safety Executive Bimble, how I've survived in mine is nothing short of a miracle; while I find them ideal for use around camp, comfortable, lightweight, and couldn't give a toss what people think when they see me wearing them, I'll take what you say as gospel, take my crocs out the back and burn them:rolleyes: What do you recommend for general camp/beach use when you don't want to wear boots etc?

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
You should report these shoes to the Health and Safety Executive Bimble, how I've survived in mine is nothing short of a miracle; while I find them ideal for use around camp, comfortable, lightweight, and couldn't give a toss what people think when they see me wearing them, I'll take what you say as gospel, take my crocs out the back and burn them:rolleyes: What do you recommend for general camp/beach use when you don't want to wear boots etc?
:lmao: I so agree with you Rik!

I'm just back from a week camping / walking / surfing / general mooching about in Wales with the family. We each took a pair of crocs (cheap imitation ones!), a pair of wellies and a pair of trainers and found it covered every need. I think some people are just gear freaks and unnecessarily snobbish about such things. You don't have to spend a fortune to have a good time ;)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
My second contribution to this thread - liked em when I bought em, very quickly loved em now wouldn't be without em! Yes they are a bit 'faddish' but in this instance I have found this fad item to be quite useful. Not my footwear of choice when accompanied with a dinner suit but then I suspect that footwear would be the least of my worries if I couldn't work that one out for myself :rolleyes:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
:lmao: I so agree with you Rik!

I think some people are just gear freaks and unnecessarily snobbish about such things. You don't have to spend a fortune to have a good time ;)

Your spot on. But there is peer pressure to get the 'right' kit and if you have the money to spare thats fine, but if your only out a few weekends a year I don't see the point. It seems some people have to 'look' like a bushcrafter camper, "don't wear DPM, you'll look like Rambo" (he wore green in the movie), "don't use a DPM Bergen, you'll look like a squaddie"

People should listen to Mors Kochanski who believes you can kit yourself out really cheap and still survive in the bush in comfort

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
:yuck: Absolutely minging, never liked them since the first time I saw them.

My mum used to make me wear something similar in the 80`s which were see through, hated them too.

I`ve never tried a pair on and I`m sure they`re dead comfy and practical, not for me though thanks.

I`ll stick to my Birkenstocks

Rich

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
My wife wears crocs sandals all the time. I hate them as twice she has been walking along, slipped and I get to hear a sickening snap from her toe as it folds under her foot and breaks. But she still wears 'em (insisting all other shoes hurt her broken toe???).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I wanted to buy a pukka 'bushcraft' hat, my daughter stopped me though after I showed some pictures from this site, it seems to some women (my wife included) that they are too effeminate/silly for a chap to be seen wearing and there was no way they would be seen out and about with me wearing one:rolleyes: So I'm stuck with a boonie hat or baseball cap (nice new wooly hat for the winter).

Crocs are very good shoes, but the real problem here I feel, is that they don't fit the BC image for some?

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
meh i thought it was the large reptile type croc with big pointy teeth... still i like the look of these little sandal thingy's shame they don't come in size 15 :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well I listened, and I bought a pair, and being girlie, I bought a pretty white and decorated summery pair to wear at the beach. :eek:

At first when I tried them on in the shop I thought, hmmm padded sort of, comfy-ish.

They were the most uncomfortable pair of shoes I have ever worn. Sand gets in, shell bits get in, they slip on seaweed, midgies bite feet, they slide around on pine needles, they rubbed my foot into a blister.

I thought, ach, I'll wear them at the back door, nipping out to the bin, the sheds, the compost heaps.........they slip on wet paths, they get hot and sweaty, they slid on wet grass, they stayed wet enough my feet went pruney, they were so loose that my toes rubbed and blistered.

Never again in this lifetime. I threw them in the bin.

I know some of you love them, but I'm definitely not a fan, and it's not 'cos it doesn't fit some bushcrafty uniform.
Even Scholls with the wooden soles weren't this uncomfortable :(

cheers,
Toddy

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I don't love them or hate them. I'm ambivalent. they are butt ugly and i would die and go to hell on a bobsled before I wouild wear them in public. However, and this is a big however, I really like them to mow the lawn in and to pick veggies out of the garden, etc. They are light, comfortable, easy to clean and all in all very useful.

I have a pair of "bogs" well there not the expensive British bogs but a cheap nock-off from Sam's Club that I really like in wet conditions. Nevertheless, I find myself usually just slipping on the Crocs to run out and feed the dog, etc.

Eat your heart out Bushcrafters, mine are CAMO! Only saw the camo ones one time in one store, never saw them again.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Hate them. The most butt fugly footwear i have ever seen. Wife threatened to get a pair and i went searching for a lawyer :lmao:

A bit like desert wellies and white socks :banghead:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hate the blighter and yes i have walked round 3 diffrent shops in a pair now i will follow fashion when the kit is well made and usefull GB SFA being a prime example.
these i thought would follow suit but why didnt i buy them because they felt like i was were size twenty twos and that was a size six and i am normally a size nine so the are not comfy and well comfort which is part of function and form well doesnt happen with these things and function comes before out else in my book.

I love em. After a days hiking their the best things ever to slip into while setting up or pottering round camp, made for hammocking for those night time pee needs! They are so lite to carry and so comfy to wear after being boots all day. Much better than tevas or merrell sandals tbh. Great for caneoing too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I love em. After a days hiking their the best things ever to slip into while setting up or pottering round camp, made for hammocking for those night time pee needs! They are so lite to carry and so comfy to wear after being boots all day. Much better than tevas or merrell sandals tbh. Great for caneoing too.

Agree 100% mate.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Does anybody like these then.:pokenest:

Love mine, in fact I've seen some dayglow orange ones, perfect for camping in the woods, easy to find; they will be part of my summer bushcraft uniform (Bermuda shorts, crocs, Hawaiian shirt and baseball cap):cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE