Crocs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crocs, Love Em or Hate Em

• Love Em

Votes: 143 43.3%
  • Hate Em

Votes: 187 56.7%

• Total voters

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Well I was in the hate em camp for many years, but over time I have been seduced by the dark side....
I did try some knock offs for the beach and they where just a pile of :censored:
So then I found some Off Road Crocs, just a bit more tread, front of the toes are covered and the strap is adjustable.
I not sure I would say I love em (cos' they are butt ugly) but they are light and comfy n stuff.

crocs_sandals_110509.jpg

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
I bought mine last year and I love them!
They are light weight, very very comfy (dont look so, but they really are).
For camping as backup/camp shoes they are superb, also if you have to cross rivers.

Love my Teva´s too, would say they are both great - but Tevas do weight a little more!
I have some standard Crocs in black and the fact, that the toes are protected are a great plus - which the Teva´s dont have.

Cant say I like the crocs more than the Teva´s because both are great and I love em both the same :)

cheers
Mike

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
:) Love mine.First thing that goes on my feet after getting off the bike.
I don't want to be thumping around in bloody great big boots all the time.
Last forever (although bits of mine are held together with paracord)
A good all round waterproof slipper.

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
A mate of mine used to have a bright blueish pair and wore them EVERYWHERE - and I thought 'god, what a tool, and he paid £30 for the privilege of wearing those daft things'!

BUT I got a copy pair in black for £3 or something from Brantanos I think, and they are actually great. I don't wear them out and about but they make a good 'outdoor slipper' - I'm forever destroying my slippers proper by wearing them outside, even if its just to take out the bins or have a cuppa out in the fresh air, next thing you know I'm distracted and down the bottom of the garden someplace, so they don't last too long...

Leaving a pair of these by the back door to swap into avoids me destroying my slippers and also bringing them back into the house caked in mud and oblivious to it :D thats not too popular with the womenfolk, odd that :dunno:

I work with a bloke who swears by having his OG ones in his bergen for 'harbour slippers' as some of you are describing having a comfy dry pair of shoes at the end of the day when you're non-tac or camped up and your boots might be drying out, but for me Croc-copies take up too much space in my kit and instead I have a pair of black canvas Emo-type plimsolls all the teenagers wear these days - I find they are cheap as (Matalan), squash down to almost nothing, and can be worn securely for river crossings too, although canvas doesn't dry out so fast...

There again he maintains that you can run far better and faster in Crocs when you hear the IDF alarm, he's keen like that, so maybe he's got the edge on us who have thong-flipflops and the like for the showers and chilling in :eek:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I hate Crocs and you will never catch me wearing them!

That was my opinion a year ago, a friend bought a pair last year when he was boatin and got his footwear soaked through. So he was always wearing them when we were outdoors and the thing that swayed me was when we went mining. I was walking there in my trainers and leaving them at the entrance and he just walked up in his crocs, said the soles made it comfy to walk on the stoney path and you feet got used to the cold

So I bought some for the princley sum fo £3 and was amazed. Now I have them just for throwing on around the house or if I just nip somewhere

So dont knock it untill you try it. Granted they look a bit wired. I did however get the other half some that are much narrower and look much better

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
B&M stores are selling flip-flops with Hawaiian prints on them, two pair for £1 :) perfect for wearing around camp.

Last edited:

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I picked up a pair of rip offs in CZ last summer, fancied a pair for ages - wanted a dark colour like black or OG but they didn't have any so I went with lime green instead. Best £5 I've ever spent on shoes.

Wore them solidly during the summer. Tough, cheap and comfortable.

They're not pretty, but I think you've just got to man up about that - embrace it and have a bit of a laugh about it. That's what I did!

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Great for camping.
Kick 'em off at the door to the tent, easy to get them on again for toilet stops and doesn't matter if they get wet.
Odd on the beach as they fill with sand and stones though.

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
I bought some while in Finland two summers back. Started off with the €1 knock-offs, but then spotted these in a shop window.

crocs_Georgie_Blk_side.jpg

And as I needed a new pair of wellies I bought them. They're very comfortable, seem hard-wearing, haven't leaked, and they seem warmer than a traditional wellie, perhaps it's the silicon rubber material? They're also far lighter.

Then this winter I treated myself to a couple of pairs of Crocs Amblers.

10225_pair_280.jpg

10225_pair_261.jpg

Croc on the bottom synthetic fur-lined suede on the top. Fairly waterproof, not wading maybe, and very warm, and very light. Seem to be very hardwearing, the soles look like new having worn them practically every day.

So, now I've got myself a pair of the basic Crocs for summer, as I know they'r ugly but they're so comfy. Also very good for the loos at festivals as the sole is really quite thick so lifts your feet out of the .... swilling around the floor of the portaloo.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Hated them, swore i would never wear them1

Wife bought me a pair, I love them greaty for in the garden in the canoe round camp. I even did an hours scramble in a pair out a gourge last year and they were fantastic!

Jellytot

Apr 1, 2010
Manchester
I'm on my 2nd pair, I wear em all the time when out with the ducks.
Great for in tent when camping and for collecting herbs from the front garden.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
on a recent trip to Indonesia Crocs had a promo in one of the shopping centres, they were selling for a couple of dollars a pair, with no exaggeration it was the biggest queue I have ever seen, it was a circular centre over eight floors, the queue started at the entrance and wound all the way to the top floor with attendants posted at the escalators, must have been a couple of thousand people in it, the obviously love them down there

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Well I was in the hate em camp for many years, but over time I have been seduced by the dark side....
I did try some knock offs for the beach and they where just a pile of :censored:
So then I found some Off Road Crocs, just a bit more tread, front of the toes are covered and the strap is adjustable.
I not sure I would say I love em (cos' they are butt ugly) but they are light and comfy n stuff.

crocs_sandals_110509.jpg

Yeah, I got a pair of these cheap. Great for river crossings, camp wear, gardening, putting the bins out and all that.

Frankly, however, anyone who wears these to the shops (I assume with pyjama bottoms and a hoody) needs a check-up from the neck-up. Have some respect for yourself, for pete's sake!

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
I too used to be a croc hater - now I'm resigned to the fact that they are the most convenient thing to wear around camp - once you taks off your boots, there's really nothing more convenient to wear.

A little bit of me died inside when I put them on for the fist time and realised there was really no alternative.

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I hate those in public,love those at home privacy :lmao:

One mag here rated those,especially the Offroad model as best spare/camp/utility shoes at summer hiking trips,as theyre so light doesnt require so much space,arent affected by water,dry just like that etc,they didnt say much bad at all,if you dont count the fact that at some person might find those quite sweatty,just as i do..but with knife you can add the ventilation...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I actually like crocs on the trail too. But don't tell lundhags... ;)

I wore them on a day hike last weekend. Work very well. Not even using the strap.

I too used to be a hater, although I don't wear them in town now.

Last edited:
Loathe the look of them and despise every grown man I see shuffling around town in :censored: pink or yellow plastic welly-sandals. Even emos have more dignity. Wish 'Call me Dave' had made it a manifesto pledge to BAN THEM.

And yet ... there's just the slimmest possibility that they might just work for river-crossings and canoeing. They look like they'll dry out fast. Apparently they are very light. There's lots of talk from people who've tried 'em that they're great for the midnight loo too.

Maybe I'll try out a knockoff pair... but I do feel a bit wrong.

Zingmo:
I bought black ones, but now I think they look a bit too "tactical"

Rik_uk3:
They should charge more for TAC-CROCS

I'm not a Tactical snob, but I do like my tactical bacon:

Attachments

• bacon3-464x500.JPG
    bacon3-464x500.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 156

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE