Crocs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crocs, Love Em or Hate Em

• Love Em

Votes: 143 43.3%
  • Hate Em

Votes: 187 56.7%

• Total voters

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
For the price of a pair of croc®, you can get two pairs of neoprene wetsuit shoes, which do all that crocs can do, but have more grip both inside and outside of the shoe, and are a half of the price. If you feel that your shoe, just has to have hole in them, a 10mm drill and a few moments et là vous l'avez

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
For the price of a pair of croc®, you can get two pairs of neoprene wetsuit shoes, which do all that crocs can do, but have more grip both inside and outside of the shoe....

A little too much grip perhaps.:rolleyes:
I borrowed a pair of Palm neoprenes a couple of years back for a week long trip out at my pals pad. The grip on beach rocks was amazing and as a result I practicaly lived in them.
Come the last day I decided to paddle back barefoot, went to stow the shoes away and noticed I'd worn the soles almost completely through. They were brand new at the start of the week, I'd only borrowed them to "try them out".:eek:

Crocs I know nothing about but I wear sandals a fair bit.

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
I have a pair, great for around camp and going to shower on camp site or for standing in under my solar shower, at £0.99 cant beet the price either. wellies are the bain of my life as no one seems to make them big enough around the calf so the just make an airtight seal and fill with sweat. no a good thing i can tell you.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Well I live in Teva sandals WITH NO SOCKS! :D all year.
If it is not actually rain or snowing hard when I leave home, or am suited and booted for a meeting I am in a pair of them even if it is sub zero!. But I cannot see myself in crock's. No matter how comfortable they just look like ships on land!

And yes I get jip from the sandals at work. Just last week I was at a vendor event in my office and someone who from the same office thought I was a visitor! Yes I was suited and booted when the office is usually casual but it was the fact that I was wearing shoe that they put it down to :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Crocs are bad enough at letting in grit, thorns, insects etc but sandles are much worse and offer not impact protection for your toes. The worst footwear has to be the "Flip Flip" which seems designed to offer zero protection and give you blisters!
I wear crocs but do not even own a pair of sandles (except for a pair of Flip Flops bought for wear in forign showers:yuck: )
I prefer paddling shoes to them all but like the Crocs for their simplicity and versatility - though they look awful!:D

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I just got me a pair from Tenerife - £6 for Olive Green ones which look almost identical to Crocs. Even have the little 'buttons' either side of the strap! :D

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
To be fair I've never tried a pair (genuine or copy versions) I dont like how some ebay sellers advertise them as "clogs". Traditional clogs are an entirely different thing, they should not be confused with injection moulded shoe's. Having said that I actually like the look of them, the french or dutch blocky look, a simple form with no unecessary superfluous bits; and I do like the colours as well (but then I like strong coulour's in most things :lmao: ) A lot of people think they are ugly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, and in any case they cant be any more repulsive than the plethora of over rated fairy slipper "trainers":rolleyes: that seem to cost so much and look totally stupid to me. I know several people as wear them, and a lot of folk here WHO ACTUALLY WEAR THEM have remarked how comfy and practical they are. I might just get a pair to wear as slippers that I could wash now and again :D (most slippers are made of cardboard, foam and plastic and my feet soon stink in them; I wear either original old ksb's, desert boots, or genuine real wood and leather clogs outside)

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
The reason alone that they fast becoming just another fashion icon is reason enough for me to hate them a little ;)

After reading this thread over the last week or so I had a look at millets at them to see what all the fuss was about. I tried a pair on and they certainly felt very comfortable. they were lightweight but not on price, £29.99 is a joke for foam clogs made in china.
I then proceeded to go to B&M discount store for a look at their bargains and found an almost identicle pair in appearance and fit for only £2.99. It is obvious that they are an exact rip off of the originals, all the holes are identical the grip on the outer sole is slightly different as are the ribs inside. I got a pair and am now wearing them as I type in pure "ugly" comfort.
I got a pair for my lad(£1.99) for messing about in and will get my daughter some when they have her size (£1.99).

If I hadn't read this thread I doubt I would have ever bought any. I wouldn't dream of paying for originals at £30:yikes: but for £3 I have nothing to lose and as I usually wear combat cut offs or similar my chances of winning a fashion parade are quite remote:D

Thanks for the heads up Pignut:You_Rock_ :D

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Out and about in the woods, in winter I wear Aquafell chainsaw boots and in summer I wear Aquafell chainsaw boots. Guess who's the noisy bounder with the chainsaw. Don't like crocs or wellies, not enough support and I have a talent for twisting ankles. Even on the beach tend to wear assault or para boots, or bare feet, but my opinion is whatever suits you.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
I have a pair of croc flipflops that I live in in the summer and which are brilliant for camping cos I wear them in the shower so I don't get any verrucas off the hoi-poloi.....

Can't stand the other bog standard crocs but that's partly cos I can't stand anything that suddenly becomes a trend and there are loads of cheap copies out there now so how can you tell the real thing?

My flipflops are worn for comfort after being recommended by my podiatrist for using around the house at first as they support my instep and are nice and soft. Unlike ordinary flipflops, they are shaped to the sole of the foot and the toe post doesn't rub. I wear them all the time now.

When I have a pair wear out on me, my friend in the US gets me new pair as they are half the price of the UK ones even with postage.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Wots so wrong with a trend :confused:
Fairy slippers (trainer's) are fairly universally popular arent they, so are demin jean's and mobile phones

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I dont own any trainers or denims and my phone is the most basic available - but I own some Crocs!
I am not a follower of trends or fashion but I like gear that works!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE