Crackle Logs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
These logs are very widely available here in NI (a higher proportion of open fireplaces in houses than on the mainland, I think), but I get mine at Lidl - about 30p cheaper than Asda.

Gailainne

Life Member
The ones from Asda, are no where near as hot as compressed wood or the like, BUT they put out an amazing amount of light, for up to 2 hours, pretty sure it was Wayland who introduced them to me. We've used them a few times at meets, and you really don't need any other means of illumination, when one of these is going. For a couple of quid, great bit of kit.

Stephen

C

catman61

If anyone's near Norwich Thorns in Exchange st sell them at £1.50 up depending on brand :-thornsdiy.com

(no connection etc!)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I know this might be a silly question, however, has anyone ever tried to make their own? How would you go about it? I imagine it would take a bit of pressure to bind everything together even if you had the right ingredients..

Cheers,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know those log maker thingies ? the ones used to turn sodden newspaper into firelogs ?
They work on the mix of old wax paper and sawdust.

You can improvise though with a bit of plastic drainpipe and something to ram the gunky stuff down hard. Let it set and then shove it out the end.

cheers,
Toddy

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
You know those log maker thingies ? the ones used to turn sodden newspaper into firelogs ?
They work on the mix of old wax paper and sawdust.
You can improvise though with a bit of plastic drainpipe and something to ram the gunky stuff down hard. Let it set and then shove it out the end.
cheers,
Toddy

thanks Toddy for surfacing a memory from the 1970's, when I lived at Ickornshaw North Yorkshire and the house deeds included 774 acres of shooting and peat cutting on the moor where I had my own 10'x8' hut.
Ickornshaw moor
I came up with the idea of welding x2 pieces of RSJ girder together to form a box mold then having this in a frame of 2"x1/4" angle iron and a 4 ton hydraulic car jack with a plate with holes to try and squeeze the fresh peat into brickets, but no matter how small the holes it just squeezed out worms of peat :lmao: so back to the traditional of cutting and drying then fetching down off the moor to burn on the Reyburn (like an Aga)
sorry for the:jacked:
cheers Danny

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've just got some of the Home Bargains / B&M ones.

They feel slightly lighter and say they burn "Over Two Hours" as opposed to "Up to Three Hours".

I'll have to have a burn comparison at some stage, I'm up in Scotland for a few days soon so I might be able to do it then.

Good price though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE