Crackle Logs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Or it is from a sustainable source!

Not having a go Gary, just highlighting something that most people are unaware off. :)

That's the problem with the current labelling - stuff is just labelled as vegetable oil. The chances are it is actually palm oil. Even chocolate contains palm oil!

Some palm oil is from a sustainable source and Asda have moved to ensure all their products that contain palm oil contains only palm oil from sustainable sources.

I highlighted the orangutan in the links above, but it is also indigenous people being forced off the land and into cities where they are like fish out of water (bushmen out of the bush!).

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I've been using the bigK ones for a while now on the fire in the garden. I agree with everything that's been said, they burn great. The only problem I've had is if I've left one out over night and it gets damp. They soak up water like a sponge and expand into a huge pile of sawdust. It doesn't have to rain to make them look like a mouse has tried to build a nest in one, just the dew will do it. If you're carrying any in your pack make sure you keep them bone dry until you're ready to use them or you'll have a right mess in your rucksack.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Given that these logs are made in the UK and sold by Asda, perhaps it's not palm oil.

It just says "High quality wax". :dunno:
I'm sorry i didn't mean to stir it up over palm oil :(

Having checked the brands of logs available for the England Ireland and Wales (their information available online due to their available for use in smoke control zones in England Wales and Ireland.) It seems that Safelight Firelogs (made by Advanced Natural Fuels Limited, at Pocklington) is the only one that uses palm wax to make up the bulk of it’s log (48-60% by weight) all the rest seem to use petroleum wax or slack wax*

Big K Instant Lighting FireLogs are made using slack wax

In the Netherlands where the Duraflame logs are made for Europe they have replaced palm oil with a “mineral-based petroleum wax”

*a “crude wax obtained from the pressing of petroleum paraffin distillate or wax distillate” basically it’s a by-product in the manufacture of lubricating oils.

It seems that palm oil is favoured in the Americas for Duraflame logs, and not Europe

Wayland

Hárbarðr

Having checked the brands of logs available for the England Ireland and Wales (their information available online due to their available for use in smoke control zones in England Wales and Ireland.) It seems that Safelight Firelogs (made by Advanced Natural Fuels Limited, at Pocklington) is the only one that uses palm wax to make up the bulk of it’s log (48-60% by weight) all the rest seem to use petroleum wax or slack wax*

Big K Instant Lighting FireLogs are made using slack wax

In the Netherlands where the Duraflame logs are made for Europe they have replaced palm oil with a “mineral-based petroleum wax”

*a “crude wax obtained from the pressing of petroleum paraffin distillate or wax distillate” basically it’s a by-product in the manufacture of lubricating oils.

It seems that palm oil is favoured in the Americas for Duraflame logs, and not Europe

No problem Tadpole.

You beat me to the answer due to office opening hours, I was going to phone them at 9.00. :D

So, it's a by product of lubricating oils. I guess we're back to the possible offset by reduced transport costs then.

I don't really know how that stacks up but my gut feeling is that it's in the "not too bad" category.

I think it will still be a backup for me when local fuel is not plentiful.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
No problem Tadpole.

You beat me to the answer due to office opening hours, I was going to phone them at 9.00. :D

So, it's a by product of lubricating oils. I guess we're back to the possible offset by reduced transport costs then.

I don't really know how that stacks up but my gut feeling is that it's in the "not too bad" category.

I think it will still be a backup for me when local fuel is not plentiful.

I’m thinking that, you could, if you are brave, not carry any logs in your car, to your chosen destination. Instead visit your nearest ‘on route’ superstore selling the ‘crackle logs’ of your choice, and stock up with just enough to last as long as you are staying. You are/would be passing/visiting anyway maybe to get some fresh shopping done, so it is not adding to your fuel costs.
That has to be better than buying 10kg of firewood at your local garage. Taking it home (if your local garage firewood is anything like mine) drying it out. Then transporting it to where ever you are going. It has to be a saving in cost and transportation.

In addition, if you only fill your tank with enough fuel to get you half way to your destination, and top up at a supermarket on the way, you will save the weight of carrying 30 litres of fuel or about 17.5kg
Fill up in the early hours of the morning and you well get more fuel for your gallon measured, as Petrol increases in volume by 1% at temperatures above 15 degrees C, Typically, petrol will expand or contract by 0.12% volume for each ºC change in temperature while diesel fuels will change somewhat less, 0.08% volume/ºC. so on warm days you get less fuel from the pumps for the measured 'litre')

I know that 10kg is not enough to last for anything more than a day or two, but I start the fire with dried wood, stack the locally collected wood round to dry it and when the fire is going well I add the dampish local wood.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've got one of those paper log maker thingies - you soak shredded newspaper in water, fill up the log maker and then compress it into briquettes. I've made about 10 briquettes so far, but I've not had the opportunity to try lighting any of them yet. Several people have told me that these log makers are rubbish. Anyone here got any experience of them?

I had one of these - bought from one of theose cataloges that come inside TV guides etc - utter rubbish!
The few "logs" it made before bending beyond use took forever to dry and did not burn, just smoked and smouldered for a while before going out. They only burned well on a roaring fire of other woods or coal but on a low fire - smoke and little heat!

Not worth the effort IMHO.

Now we just recycle the papers etc at the local recycling centre!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I’m thinking that, you could, if you are brave, not carry any logs in your car, to your chosen destination. Instead visit your nearest ‘on route’ superstore selling the ‘crackle logs’ of your choice, and stock up with just enough to last as long as you are staying. You are/would be passing/visiting anyway maybe to get some fresh shopping done, so it is not adding to your fuel costs.
That has to be better than buying 10kg of firewood at your local garage. Taking it home (if your local garage firewood is anything like mine) drying it out. Then transporting it to where ever you are going. It has to be a saving in cost and transportation.

In addition, if you only fill your tank with enough fuel to get you half way to your destination, and top up at a supermarket on the way, you will save the weight of carrying 30 litres of fuel or about 17.5kg
Fill up in the early hours of the morning and you well get more fuel for your gallon measured, as Petrol increases in volume by 1% at temperatures above 15 degrees C, Typically, petrol will expand or contract by 0.12% volume for each ºC change in temperature while diesel fuels will change somewhat less, 0.08% volume/ºC. so on warm days you get less fuel from the pumps for the measured 'litre')

I know that 10kg is not enough to last for anything more than a day or two, but I start the fire with dried wood, stack the locally collected wood round to dry it and when the fire is going well I add the dampish local wood.

I do usually try to source my logs locally but often end up with wet stuff as a result.

I reckon if these things burn for 1.5 - 2 hours a piece then two or three would replace 10kg easily. Although they might not produce as much heat in the winter, they provide all the light and cheer you need and only weigh in at 1.1kg each.

They also take up much less space.

Charcoal I carry with me as it's so light and I use the heat from that for cooking.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I do usually try to source my logs locally but often end up with wet stuff as a result.

I reckon if these things burn for 1.5 - 2 hours a piece then two or three would replace 10kg easily. Although they might not produce as much heat in the winter, they provide all the light and cheer you need and only weigh in at 1.1kg each.

They also take up much less space.

Charcoal I carry with me as it's so light and I use the heat from that for cooking.
daft question, where do you get your char-coal from, the only stuff I seem to be able to find is either rubbish, (lots of dusts) or is really pricey

Wayland

Hárbarðr
daft question, where do you get your char-coal from, the only stuff I seem to be able to find is either rubbish, (lots of dusts) or is really pricey

I tend to use the instant lighting stuff, but try to look out for British made. It comes in 1kg bags and you just light the bag. Again, no fuss no mess.

One bag usually provides all the heat I need for cooking and because it lights so well it all burns away to ash.

I carry a bag of kindling as well and if it's just a quick fry up in the morning or a boil up that is more efficient and burns out faster. It depends what I'm doing and how fast I need to move out.

I've bought from various places such as supermarkets, garages and garden centres. When I find British stuff I tend to stock up and keep it in the garage which I suppose helps it dry out if it's at all damp.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I tend to use the instant lighting stuff, but try to look out for British made. It comes in 1kg bags and you just light the bag. Again, no fuss no mess.

One bag usually provides all the heat I need for cooking and because it lights so well it all burns away to ash.

I carry a bag of kindling as well and if it's just a quick fry up in the morning or a boil up that is more efficient and burns out faster. It depends what I'm doing and how fast I need to move out.

I've bought from various places such as supermarkets, garages and garden centres. When I find British stuff I tend to stock up and keep it in the garage which I suppose helps it dry out if it's at all damp.
I don't feel so bad now, as I have in the past used the self lighting lumpwood from B&Q, (if it's good enough for a viking:D )

As I mentioned to Gary last night, I wasn't having a go, just highlighting an issue that most people are not aware of:240::grouphug:. I've seen the effects first hand so I'm all too ready to tell people about it:soapbox:. I should thank you for giving me the opportunity to highlight the issue :D.

(What people make of it is up to them:Thinkingo)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's a balance isn't it.

If you get plain charcoal, what are you going to use to get it burning?

You've either got to use loads of kindling or some kind of lighting fluid.

If you are using lighting fluid you might as well use the pre-prepared stuff, if you are using loads of kindling there's not much point in using charcoal in the first place. :dunno:

As mentioned in another thread about being environmentally friendly, if I can do it "green" without too much trouble I will.

If it involves a lot of grief then I will consider whether there is a better option otherwise I just have to accept that there is an impact and I'll try to improve my karma somewhere else.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I keep one or two of those waxy firelogs in the boot of the car as a back up. I often chop them in half and use one half at a time.

I find them a great alternative to gathering firewood if you arrive somewhere after dark or somewhere where fuel is limited/unavailable.

Lidl's had some great instant-light charcoal, I think it was w00dsmoke who first told me about it, £4 for 4 x 1kg bags and it lasts well too.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I've used the Duraflame logs before now, got them in sainsburys, we also used some compresed sawdust pellets ? for Chimineas, they were round, didnt appear to have a wax in them but had been extruded from some press, broke into thick 1-2" rounds and were easy to light.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've used the Duraflame logs before now, got them in sainsburys, we also used some compresed sawdust pellets ? for Chimineas, they were round, didnt appear to have a wax in them but had been extruded from some press, broke into thick 1-2" rounds and were easy to light.

Those are like the ones i got from BFL. Mine had a hole down the centre which helped them burn better.

As I recall they were very good, loads of heat but not quite as convenient as the waxed type IMO.

On the subject of charcoal, I just noticed Asda have reduced their 4x1kg bags of instant lighting stuff down to £1.99. Bought a few for stock.

I guess the supermarkets caught a cold this year with all the barbecue stuff down to the weather we've been having.

On this note I got some 5kg bags of the charcoal briquettes for only 72p from sainsburys the other day. I got enough to last me till the next time they sell them off:lmao:

They also had the insto light jobbies for 99p for 4 x 1kg bags.
and also odourless fire lighters for 27p, which I am going to check out their capabilities asap.

Bodge:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE