Crackle Logs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Just been out for a weekend with Maddave and as we were wild camping from the van I had a bag of charcoal for cooking, some kindling and a bag of logs for a fire.

As the evening wore on and the log pile shrunk, I recalled something I'd picked up in Asda "just in case".

It's something called a "Fire log" and basically it's a compressed sawdust brick held together with wax of some kind, wrapped in paper.

It seemed ideal for keeping the fire going for a bit longer so we set it on the embers of the fire and lit the paper, as per the instructions.

The instructions also say use just one log at a time and don't poke the fire which I was a bit dubious about, but for a first try I thought we'd give it a go.

It lit easily and produced reasonable heat and a lot of light, which lets face it, is what you want while sitting round a fire.

An hour later and it's still producing reasonable heat and a lot of light, this went on longer that either of us could actually believe.

We actually went to bed before it finally went out and in the morning there were just fine ashes to show for it.

Has anybody else used one of these things?

I'm thinking that for the type of wild camping I do from a vehicle, where there is often not much available fuel, a couple of these things at £1.48 a piece makes a lot more sense than buying a bag of logs from a garage (which are usually damp anyway.)

Green notes: I don't know what the wax is, but the sawdust is a recycled product and I guess the wax could be off set by decreased transportation costs compared to a bag of logs, but it certainly reduces my impact on the camp site compared to collecting wood.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice find Gary I`ll have to take a look at those

My dad has something similar out in Portugal which he uses on the log fire in winter.

Rich

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Wayland,

i got one from Wilkinsons a while ago, not used it yet as i can't seem to find a dry evening when i get home from work to burn it, not much help really am i ?;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Green notes: I don't know what the wax is, but the sawdust is a recycled product and I guess the wax could be off set by decreased transportation costs compared to a bag of logs, but it certainly reduces my impact on the camp site compared to collecting wood.
the wax is made from Palm oil, which on the whole is ok, unless you take into account the land clearance needed to grow the palm nut production. Most of the "crackle logs" (tm) are made in the USA, but at the price you've quoted I doubt that the ones you had are, as the Duraflame ones are a bit more pricey.
I've never though of using them, worried about the clean up, but you seemed to have no residue so I might give them a bash.

the crackle noise comes from added Coriander seed which pop but don't spit

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Just bought a few more from Asda and they are called "Firelogs" now and made by BigK, the price is still the same.

Watch out though, Tesco are a lot more expensive.

It says on the paper wrapper that they are approved in smokeless areas and one nice thing we noticed was that we weren't being chased round the fire by the smoke, and I didn't notice any particular smell either.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
the wax is made from Palm oil, which on the whole is ok, unless you take into account the land clearance needed to grow the palm nut production. Most of the "crackle logs" (tm) are made in the USA, but at the price you've quoted I doubt that the ones you had are, as the Duraflame ones are a bit more pricey.
I've never though of using them, worried about the clean up, but you seemed to have no residue so I might give them a bash.

the crackle noise comes from added Coriander seed which pop but don't spit

The company selling them, BigK are based in Norwich, hopefully they are made somewhere near there. :dunno:

They are quite common in Oz.

A useful stand by if we forgot to get a load of wood delivered or if I had been lazy and forgot to bring split logs wood inside and I did not want to face the rain/cold.:eek:

But its not "wood". Useful though

I know what you mean, nothing is quite like a good log fire, but for this application, they are compact to carry, reliable, no mess, no fuss and no half burnt log ends to deal with in the morning.

Some of the ash was still clumped together but a quick rake over in the morning and it all broke up for scattering.

On this occasion there was a fire ring that looked permanent so we cleaned it out of old barbecues and tin cans and were able to leave it to burn out over night.

By the time we left the site looked considerably better than when we arrived.

Normally I carry a fire tray in the van for cooking and sitting round and this can be packed up leaving no trace behind.

( I should say that I originally bought one after a chat with EdS, who said he had cut one into slices to use in a hobo stove, I haven't tried that yet but I'm certainly going to soon. )

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
When I use my hobo, I like things to be done and dusted quickly (30 minutes max) so I like the fact that my wood burns hot and quickly. Something that can potentially burn for hours is not good news for a quick tea-break stop. So if you do chop up one, could you let us know what the burn times are and whether there is a mess in the hobo.

I’m coming to like the idea of these logs the more I think about them. few if any worry about using meths or gas, of panel wipe or colmans, I’m thinking it is just another fuel available for use/adaptation by the crafty bushy type

Edit to add
Bigk 'manufacturing plant' is in Norfolk,

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
( I should say that I originally bought one after a chat with EdS, who said he had cut one into slices to use in a hobo stove, I haven't tried that yet but I'm certainly going to soon. )

Ok if you are going to cook in a pot over them, but dont cook directly over the flame from one, the wrapper explains this, must be due to the chems involved.

Loz

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I have been making my own (no chemicals envolved other than wood and parafin wax).

For firelighters, I do the following:
  • Collect old toilet roll tubes (if I can get them before the kids)
  • Cut them into 1/2" (12-15mm) sections.
  • Put candle stubs, tea lights etc into an old pan
  • Melt wax over a camping stove (CARE: MOTLEN WAX IS HOT AND FLAMMABLE)
  • Add coarse sawdust carefully until the liquid wax is all absorbed.
  • Spoon mixture into the short carboard cylinders
  • Allow to cool

The wax soaks into the cardboard, so to light it you can just peel a small shred and light that or just hold a fragment of charcloth on the waxy sawdust.

These can be lobbed into the bottom of a hobo stove to give it a boost if things are a little damper than you would hope. They burn for quite a while as much of the time the sawdust is just wicking the melting wax.

I would imagine that you could use a whole toilet roll tube and make a 'log' 1.25" by 5" (3.5cm by 12.5cm) which would burn for ages.

Cheers,
Steve

I've got one of those paper log maker thingies - you soak shredded newspaper in water, fill up the log maker and then compress it into briquettes. I've made about 10 briquettes so far, but I've not had the opportunity to try lighting any of them yet. Several people have told me that these log makers are rubbish. Anyone here got any experience of them?

Palm Oil is NOT Green

When in Borneo a few years ago, I was in a Palm Oil plantation. Hideous place. Virgin rainforest had been destroyed to plant mile after mile of sterile monoculture. Recent efforts to replace mineral oil with biofuels has speeded up this destruction. Lauded as carbon neutral, the truth is that massive amounts of carbon is released from the rich soil laid down by the virgin rainforest over thousands of years. Huge biodiversity reduced to rat infested nothingness.

Palm oil: the biofuel of the future driving an ecological disaster now

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/apr/04/energy.indonesia

The oil for ape scandal: How palm oil is threatening the orang-utan
http://www.foe.co.uk/resource/reports/oil_for_ape_summary.pdf

Consumate bushcratfers orphaned by the palm oil industry:
http://www.orangutan-appeal.org.uk/

Asda palm oil ban to save rainforests:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007/jul/22/supermarkets.corporatesocialresponsibility

Finally, please consider signing this petition:
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/PalmOilLabelling/

Thank you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE