Couple of questions regarding knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seth.Karlo

Aug 11, 2009
Wiltshire
Hey all you experienced bushcraft people!

Firstly, I currently own a lovely Mora, which was my first knife, and has served me faithfully for 4 years now. However, I've been looking around for a new one, maybe a little bigger than my current one. I'd like to come up with a good excuse for one, but really I just like knives, so my excuse is that I'd like one! Any suggestions from people? I'm looking to spend up to around 100 GBP maximum.

Second thing is that sometimes I work on a farm, and due to the nature of the business I find I need to take my leatherman with me. It's a locking blade knife, and I was recently talking to a friend who said that he had his taken off of him for the same thing (He works at the liveries nearby) from the police. He was stopped because the cop saw it on his belt.

Note that we are both 17. Neither of us has ever been anything but careful with our knives, and only carry them to and from our work(s).

The police said that he couldn't verify the story so he took it from him. While my dad and my boss at the farm both say they'll verify the story, can you guys think of anything I could say in order to keep my knife in the circumstance my dad's away from his desk? (Frequently happens, and my boss is usually out in the yard, away from the phone). I'm not sure what I could say, and I definitely don't want to lose it.

Thanks for any suggestions guys!

Andy,
AKA Seth

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Firstly, the leatherman - don't carry it on your belt to and from work, that's not a good reason. Carrying it is fine, but not in plain view, that's just asking for bother, it would be like going on the tube with a fixed blade on your belt because you're going camping.

Secondly, I recommend an Enzo for your upgrade - incredible knives, available from https://www.brisa.fi/

Dennis (runner of Brisa and I think designer of Enzo - though that may have been a collaboration) is in Finland, but their shipping to UK is blisteringly fast and the Enzo blades are absolutely amazing, and come in bare blades, two stages of kit form as well as completed knife. I think their smallest is 85mm and largest is 125mm (blade length). And since Finland is still within the EU, no import problems.

Hope this helps bud
Pete

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
hi there,
now ive been through quite a few knives over the years, big small, some cheap some not so cheap. i recently purchased a knife made by this guy www.berax.co.uk , its far superiour to my other knives and is built like a tank, give it a look because its worth the extra cash. if you dont want to spend quite so much may i recomend a puukko style knife, they look great and you would be hard pressed to find a better knife for the price, i have one and the edge is incredible, if your taking a few steps up from a mora this would be a great option. you can find them on www.casstroms.co.uk , i would recomend the finnish wilderness range as the steel holds an edge slightly better than the karesuandos, i have both.

whatever your desicion good luck.
ATB
josh

Seth.Karlo

Aug 11, 2009
Wiltshire
Great, thanks very much guys, I'll look at both those websites carefully. I've also taken a look at Tony's british law thingy, and I think perhaps leaving my leatherman at the farm instead of travelling with it would be best.

Cheers,

Andy
AKA Seth

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Great, thanks very much guys, I'll look at both those websites carefully. I've also taken a look at Tony's british law thingy, and I think perhaps leaving my leatherman at the farm instead of travelling with it would be best.

Cheers,

Andy
AKA Seth

or you could just pack it at the bottom of a bag. they probably only stopped your mate because it was beng worn odviosly, if its out of sight whats to know, they wont stop you for no reason because they have to fill out a mountain of paperwork afterwards.
i frequently take fixed blades on a bus / train with me when i need them where im going, i just wrap them in some cloths and stuff them at the bottom of my rucsack.
what the fuzz dont know cant hurt them.

josh

i think your mate bumped into the old problem he was with in the law but decided to plead guilty and hand the knife over to the policeman as its easier than being taken to the police station and getting a lawyer etc etc and to verify the story in court or at least sitting in the cells while the desk Sgt verifyed the story etc .

You should INSIST the police man accompianies you to the place of work to verify the story then decide if its good enough Not easy at 17 in this climate i know
but your mate is now on a piece of paper that says he has had an illegal knife taken of him

if you have a good reason it dosnt matter if you carry it on your belt or in your pocket or bag or car etc However it is more likely to get spotted etc

oh Mora do bigger knifes :D

ATB

Duncan

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
I would also like to add that with your budget, there is a member not to far from here who is producing excellent knives. May be worth talking to him about future knife purchases? I did and have nothing but praise for him and the knife.

( ahem, cough, duncan, cough, ahem, etc)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE