Cooking grills used on fires?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I ordered one of those grills suggested by Shewie (in post #4) and got it through today. That's extremely good service - I 'bought' it last Friday, paid by cheque, and received it today (Thursday).
Of course, not used it yet, but it looks really good and I'm mighty impressed. Easily worth a fiver. It's just the right size for one or two, and packs flat and fits in your pack really well. As someone else suggested, if you need something bigger then buy 2! At that price you're not going wrong.
Well worth considering if you want a grill. I'd happily buy another.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
this is a light weight grill i made for back packing. it folds in half as you can see, it can be used as a single or double grill. each section of this grill is 11"x8". fastens together using bolts and wing nuts for easy assembly in the field. the legs are made from 6mm threaded bar, which allows the height of the grill to be adjusted, to compensate for un-even ground etc. it has a two pipe billy can sat on the stove to give you some idea of the size:

IMG_0041-2.jpg

IMG_0042-2.jpg

IMG_0043-2.jpg

IMG_0044-2.jpg

IMG_0045-2.jpg

IMG_0046-2.jpg

A very nice lightweight grill
belzeebob

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Got my self one of these and it come through today. Looks like a nice bit of kit. Yet to see if it fits into the PLCE side pouch as he states.

No connection just a happy camper.

Don't think it will fit in a side pouch, too big, but they are a great little grill:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It fits a treat. Just got to make a bag out of an old NHS pillow case to stop getting soot inside the pouch then should be sorted for open fire fun.

Cool, just gotta do something daft and get admitted to a hospital again, only got a pair of PJ bottoms last time...:lmao: :D :lmao:
Goatboy.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nothing like a bit of open fire fun to get yourself admitted to St Andrews ward Broomfield to pick up a pillow.

Yup I agree, though heart failure due to a virus wasn't so much fun...:eek:
May just take the short cut and ask some medic pals though.:naughty:
GB

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I spared no expense for mine - butchered a disposable BBQ for it :eek:

Top bushcraft tip of the day - when you run out of firewood burn beer cans :D
IMG_6171.jpg

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi all
Picked up the mk2 version of my firegrill.
The only difference is it got a little bigger.
MK1
Picture%20038.jpg

MK2
mk2%20056.jpg

MK1 beside the MK2
mk2%20046.jpg

and I did spend a few mins giving it a rub with with bbq blackening to protect it

mk2%20063.jpg

mk2%20060.jpg

bob

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I can recommend a baking grill airer for coal use more than fire.
The legs are usually only 3 inches or so high though. But it works well.

I have read that a single burning of galvansed steel is highly toxic and death can easily result.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
I can recommend a baking grill airer for coal use more than fire.
The legs are usually only 3 inches or so high though. But it works well.

I have read that a single burning of galvansed steel is highly toxic and death can easily result.

not sure on that ,but since their no galvanised steel on the grills don't need to worry
bob

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I just got a pot stand / plate rack kinda thing from wilkinsons for the pricely sum of £1.50!

I haven't used it yet, but I'll try and get a picture ;later to show you all see what you think

Drew

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
this is a light weight grill i made for back packing. it folds in half as you can see, it can be used as a single or double grill. each section of this grill is 11"x8". fastens together using bolts and wing nuts for easy assembly in the field. the legs are made from 6mm threaded bar, which allows the height of the grill to be adjusted, to compensate for un-even ground etc. it has a two pipe billy can sat on the stove to give you some idea of the size:

IMG_0042-2.jpg

Woof,

I love this, beats my Grillput hands down! I'm terrible with buiding things, would you be able to put me a list I can walk into homeabse/b&q with and put one of these bad boys together?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
My favorite backcountry grills come from Purcell Trench. The owner is first class and a great guy to talk to as well.

This one is just two hollow tubes. Very ultralight. I bent some wire for the ends to connect them. The little blue thing is just a jig for bending wire.

grill1c.jpg

grill2c.jpg

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Hi all
Picked up the mk2 version of my firegrill.
The only difference is it got a little bigger.
MK1
Picture%20038.jpg

MK2
mk2%20056.jpg

MK1 beside the MK2
mk2%20046.jpg

and I did spend a few mins giving it a rub with with bbq blackening to protect it

mk2%20063.jpg

mk2%20060.jpg

bob

That looks great :35:

What size is it? I'm thinking of making one but I am unsure what dimensions would be best?

Cheers

Grebby

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
not sure on that ,but since their no galvanised steel on the grills don't need to worry
bob

Is it really so hard to believe when...Chlorine gas mixed from liquid bleach and powdered amonia can be fatal inside a non ventilated room, Considering these warnings cover really quite small doses of the chemicals used...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE