Cooking grills used on fires?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I was eyeing up the one Goatboy and Beelzebub2 were using and thinking it looked really sound :approve: but like you, I think it's for car or canoe camping. Excellent kit though :D

For lightweight though, is the grilliput really so bad ? :confused:
I kind of liked the idea that it all went away cleanly but was supposed to be solid enough to leave pots on to simmer.

cheers,
Toddy

Don't listen to them Toddy. I like my Grilliput. Small enough to go everywhere with me, but big enough to cook for 2.

It even has a groove to clean the rods with when packing up.

Simon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was eyeing up the one Goatboy and Beelzebub2 were using and thinking it looked really sound :approve: but like you, I think it's for car or canoe camping. Excellent kit though :D

I kind of liked the idea that it all went away cleanly but was supposed to be solid enough to leave pots on to simmer.

cheers,
Toddy

They are for canoe or car camping but are not a problem if you are in a group, you split the camp load between you. Yes Toddy, the Grilliput is crap (sorry Simon) OK for burgers type stuff, no good for a pot of stew etc.

Take a look at those £5 jobs mortalmerlin is selling, they are much better and fine for solo use in terms of weight and having the ability to support a good sized pot.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I made a light weight grill that folds in half to backpack, i will post (or my son will) pictures.

I served my apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker, galvanising is poisness, in a confined area, light a good fire, and put the galvanised metal on it, and let it burn for an hour at a good heat. It will then be ok, as an aside wacth for wisps of white smoke coming off it, that is the fumes from the galvanised burning off.

Rob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rik I do not visit bcl; too much bad karma, man :240: , so have no idea of whom you speak.

I like the concept of the entire grill packing away neatly into one lightweight tube, *and* being robust enough to hold a pot to simmer and a small kettle. I don't really need much more tbh when it's just one or two of us going lightweight.

My cooking set up for groups is capable of feeding at least twenty if needed so that's sorted.
I have grills and bbq bucket type things that suit most situations but that heavy grill of Beelzebub23's looks sturdy enough to hold two of my big dye pots as they simmer for a couple of hours, and still pack away flat to store away.

I've used the angle irons before and with a little care they're excellent but the big pots each hold 5 gallons of boiling dye, so the last thing I want when doing a workshop is for them to coggle over.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I made a light weight grill that folds in half to backpack, i will post (or my son will) pictures.

I served my apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker, galvanising is poisness, in a confined area, light a good fire, and put the galvanised metal on it, and let it burn for an hour at a good heat. It will then be ok, as an aside wacth for wisps of white smoke coming off it, that is the fumes from the galvanised burning off.

Rob

Cheers for the information Woof :D and yes, we'd like to see your grill photos too please.

atb,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Rik I do not visit bcl; too much bad karma, man :240: , so have no idea of whom you speak.

I like the concept of the entire grill packing away neatly into one lightweight tube, *and* being robust enough to hold a pot to simmer and a small kettle. I don't really need much more tbh when it's just one or two of us going lightweight.

My cooking set up for groups is capable of feeding at least twenty if needed so that's sorted.
I have grills and bbq bucket type things that suit most situations but that heavy grill of Beelzebub23's looks sturdy enough to hold two of my big dye pots as they simmer for a couple of hours, and still pack away flat to store away.

I've used the angle irons before and with a little care they're excellent but the big pots each hold 5 gallons of boiling dye, so the last thing I want when doing a workshop is for them to coggle over.

cheers,
Toddy

Hi Toddy,

When BB designed the grill he made sure that his pal put the bolt holes for holding the legs in to wards the center than was necessary so that the legs would kick out further so making it more stable and allowing you to work the fire underneath easier. That was MK I though. I know his fevered brain is allready hard at work on MK II :22:

GB

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just as an aside - our own launditch is going to knock something up in the "robust folding grill" line by way of a prototype for me.

I'll do some photos and a review when I get it.

I totally grant the point of "not for backpacking"...but the idea intrigues me and its fun to play. I can see me doing some of my more pungent work (soap making etc.) over one if it works well

Red

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
That angle iron would be a recipe for disastger for someone as clumbsy as me, i do like the idea, but i would end up hungry using it.

Does anyone know where to get mesh to weld into one of these grills, i fancy knocking one up.

Angle iron works fine as shown here

DSCF2109640x480.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a very good point BRed :D Handy for boiling fomes in ashes, that kind of thing :cool:
I know that some of my dyebaths (weld and woad come to mind, both kind of rotting cabbage smells :yuck: ) are really not pleasant to make indoors.
Apple bark is lovely though, smells like jam making :) and bog myrtle scents the house like Christmas time :D

Be interesting to see what Launditch comes up with :cool:

atb,
M........who seems to have found the smilies again :rolleyes: :eek:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

cheers,
Toddy

Merlin is selling them on eBay, £6.63 including postage

eBay item 230347114856 folds flat.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Wow, those pics are making me very hungry :D :D :D

I have a spare oven shelf but absolutely no metalworking skills. Is there any easy way someone can think of that I could put legs on it?

yes jonnno
get yourself a piece of threaded rod ,some nuts and washers.
slip rod through the oven tray and clamp shelve between a couple of nuts and washers
as long as it not to high this should work fine
belzeebob

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow

cheers,
Toddy

I would total agree i wouldnt like to carry it all day a on my back, but it was designed for carry in the back of the car.

a cake stand a four rocks works great for backpacking
belzeebob

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow

cheers,
Toddy

I would say mine would quite happily support the weight of a 5 gallon drum, because to test mine i was standing on it changing a lightbulb the other day. Its a very simple design but maybe a bit small for your dye drums but can easily enlarged for your needs. The only thing i would say is if u enlarge it I would put an extra piece of angel iron along the middle to support the mess.
If u would like some more detailed pics so u can copy it let me know and I will post them
belzeebob

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Toddy, the grilliput is more than capable of holding a billy, just as long as you aren't unrealistic of what you ask of it!

It is ideal for grilling food over the embers, which is what I use it for.

I'll try to dig it out and take a few pictures later.

I suppose the bottom line is; if you somehow lost it, would you replace it ?

TBH, probably not - but tthen I didn't pay for it in the first place either:rolleyes: , I bought it for school originally.
Simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you kindly :D
I take your point about adding a centre strut to the framework. Best safe than sorry.

We have several blacksmiths in Galgael, and one in particular is very elderly but incredibly knowledgeable and capable. Ian Watt made my heavy iron pot hooks and I think I'm going to go and pester him over a cup of coffee for some ideas for this.
It occurs to me that if I am going to have something like this then if I could have some form or other that looks 'authentic' for use in Medieval, then it would happily do double duty.

Response to Rik UK3
Thank you for the link; and I agree that does look sound :)
It's lighter than the grilliput, but it's still the size of a baking tray in a pack.......and if I'm going with a small pack, then that's just too big for me.
I can see if having an appeal for many others though, especially since he's got chrome plating, and at that price it's not going to break the bank.

cheers,
M

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
this is a light weight grill i made for back packing. it folds in half as you can see, it can be used as a single or double grill. each section of this grill is 11"x8". fastens together using bolts and wing nuts for easy assembly in the field. the legs are made from 6mm threaded bar, which allows the height of the grill to be adjusted, to compensate for un-even ground etc. it has a two pipe billy can sat on the stove to give you some idea of the size:

IMG_0041-2.jpg

IMG_0042-2.jpg

IMG_0043-2.jpg

IMG_0044-2.jpg

IMG_0045-2.jpg

IMG_0046-2.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE