Cook kits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Read alot about cook kits recently and was wondering what everyone was using?

I have SS, Ally and Ti and have a few setups but was wondering what everyone else uses

Fancy a Trangia and Evernew but cannot justify the price when what i have simply works.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Im also going to *try* and photograph my cook kits for my blog soon and will add pics here if wanted

I dont have a great deal but i have a nice little variety

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
This for overnighters. I dont always carry the pan, unless im on the bike.

SAM_0074.jpg

For day bimbles i have a ranger stove with a sigg bottle inside replacing the ally one suppiled. All the bits n bobs - coffee etc fit in the side wall.

And for longer jaunts (2/3 nights - i usually take my SAT. Will try and photo and post in next day or so. Like you said - if it works for you, why "upgrade" or replace what you have?

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
This is my cook kit...

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

018-2.jpg

Consists of an MSR Titan kettle and cup, DIY Alcohol stove (3.45 minute boil of 500ml using 1 oz/30ml Meths), cage pot stand, .5mm Ali windshield, ignition source and two boils worth of Meths all contained within the kettle, also a Ti spork which is perfect as I bring the food full kettle to my face and reduce drippage!!. If cup is removed then several more boils worth of Meths can be included within but I generally have two boils worth held.

A modification since these pics were taken is the wrapping of the kettle handles with Minibulldesign glass fibre wick which works brilliantly and negates the need for outside pot holders. Also my washing up liquid has been reduced to a 5ml dropper pot and the matches replaced with a small bic lighter. Two plastic flip top 30ml/1oz meths bottles are held within for two brew-ups.

Weight is about 10.2 oz or 289 grams without any liquid/meths bottles.

Works ok in strongish wind but to be honest may not get to a rolling boil on 1 oz of meths but hot enough to enjoy.

So far things I have heated well using 1 oz of meths with this system are...

Super noodles
pasta n sauce
pot noodle
mug shots
uncle bens rice pouches
soup sachets
smash potato
oat so simple
tea, coffee, bovril cubes and hot chocolate

My only gripe is the kettle does not pour as well as I would like but for a solo packer is the mutts!!

Steve

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
This is my cook kit...

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

018-2.jpg

Consists of an MSR Titan kettle and cup, DIY Alcohol stove (3.45 minute boil of 500ml using 1 oz/30ml Meths), cage pot stand, .5mm Ali windshield, ignition source and two boils worth of Meths all contained within the kettle, also a Ti spork which is perfect as I bring the food full kettle to my face and reduce drippage!!. If cup is removed then several more boils worth of Meths can be included within but I generally have two boils worth held.

A modification since these pics were taken is the wrapping of the kettle handles with Minibulldesign glass fibre wick which works brilliantly and negates the need for outside pot holders. Also my washing up liquid has been reduced to a 5ml dropper pot and the matches replaced with a small bic lighter. Two plastic flip top 30ml/1oz meths bottles are held within for two brew-ups.

Weight is about 10.2 oz or 289 grams without any liquid/meths bottles.

Works ok in strongish wind but to be honest may not get to a rolling boil on 1 oz of meths but hot enough to enjoy.

So far things I have heated well using 1 oz of meths with this system are...

Super noodles
pasta n sauce
pot noodle
mug shots
uncle bens rice pouches
soup sachets
smash potato
oat so simple
tea, coffee, bovril cubes and hot chocolate

My only gripe is the kettle does not pour as well as I would like but for a solo packer is the mutts!!

Steve

interesting set up - what type of wrap is the "minibulldesign" insulator? I always struggle with tin/steel/ally cups for cooking AND drinking from. Ive tried rubber and tape and eventually gave up and use folding kuksas for the lightweight carry and a separate mug for the bigger kits.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Thanks for that. i use the mini fuel type bottles in my SAT (holds 3 off) - makes the carry very compact. The boil time on my penny stove is very similar to what you get from yours. I get about 8 to 10 minutes from a fill which is loads for a brew and enough for a basic meal too (occassionally with a refill). I did carry a filled tatonka as backup/longburn but find it quite inefficient at lowish temperatures so i dont bother anymore except in the summertime!

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Here is my cooking equipment, also waiting for a new hexi Ti Stove.
Not the best pics but show what everything is, any questions welcome.

GEDC0798.jpg

GEDC0799.jpg

GEDC0800.jpg

GEDC0802.jpg

Would like a stainless steel frying pan, stainless steel kettle, trangia stove, emberlit stove, MyTiPot, MSR Tital kettle, evernew trivet and a windshield- on the wanted list at home :)

This is the folding stove in the purple pouch:
foldingwoodstove.jpg

foldingwoodstovebilly.jpg

Crusader cook setup:
IMG00464-20110917-1557.jpg

Whitebox stove:
IMG00209-20110524-2139.jpg

Hobo and tatonka mug
P040411_1642.jpg

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yep the only trouble with these stoves is the all out flame with no control. Mine flames out at about four minutes but by then has rolling boiled a pint/500ml of cold water. Also I have not used this in very cold conditions yet.

I have tried several attempts at blocking most of the jets with various add-ons so as to induce a simmer but without success, the alcohol vapours always seem to find a way out the sneeky blighters!!

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Been,

I take it this is all your cook gear and not what you take on a bimble?

Have you an idea of a minimalist cook kit you would take out for say a solo hike?

Steve.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Actually forgot my current kit as its in my rucksack!

Will add photos of that soon! :)

Its a MyTiMug, MyTiCup, TiSpork, Whitebox stove and foil for now but want a better windshield:) Extremely light and very effective :)

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Here is my cooking equipment, also waiting for a new hexi Ti Stove.
Not the best pics but show what everything is, any questions welcome.

GEDC0798.jpg

GEDC0799.jpg

GEDC0800.jpg

GEDC0802.jpg

Would like a stainless steel frying pan, stainless steel kettle, trangia stove, MyTiPot, MSR Tital kettle, evernew trivet and a windshield- on the wanted list at home :)

This is the folding stove in the purple pouch:
foldingwoodstove.jpg

foldingwoodstovebilly.jpg

Crusader cook setup:
IMG00464-20110917-1557.jpg

Whitebox stove:
IMG00209-20110524-2139.jpg

Hobo and tatonka mug
P040411_1642.jpg

Two questions mate. the wooden kuksa - is it about the size of the folding swedish kuksa? i ask cos i quite fancy one but they dont hold a lot? i have no wood skills but would consider buying one - ebay have them for about 18.00 delivered.. Second is do you rate the Honey stove? Finally - i do use the simmer ring from the Tatonka which does give SOME control over penny stoves tho its not a good fit, merely reducing the heat that hits the pan or pot.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Two questions mate. the wooden kuksa - is it about the size of the folding swedish kuksa? i ask cos i quite fancy one but they dont hold a lot? i have no wood skills but would consider buying one - ebay have them for about 18.00 delivered..

Had mine from a very kind gentleman on this forum.. hold a nice amount and enough for a instant coffee

Second is do you rate the Honey stove? Finally - i do use the simmer ring from the Tatonka which does give SOME control over penny stoves tho its not a good fit, merely reducing the heat that hits the pan or pot.

Never used a honey stove, was going to purchase one but heard they may warp- really want a emberlit stove though- i want alot though... :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE