Mobile Advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Currently have a Samsung S8Plus which I am happy with and my plan was to look at replacing it with an S22 however the reviews do not look good regarding battery life.
Having a phone that only lasts a day is a pain in the outdoors and I really miss being able to take a replacement battery.
I just wonder what everyone else uses and what your experience has been with it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I quite like the Motorola G series.

Good battery life. Decent Camera. Not an I-Phone.

I've had a few over the years and will be replacing my latest for more of the same.

Reactions: Minotaur

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
i
I have a Xiaomi Redmi 9, dual sim, I charge it once a week, it's never turned off, excellent camera, not an Iphone, and quite inexpensive, basically does what it says on the tin, without the need to update it annually like a iphone. Not many modern phones have the quick option of changing a battery but you can always carry a spare power pack, to recharge it on the move.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I Have pixel 5 for everday use and a Nokia 108 dual sim Unlocked for out and about. it has vodafone and giffgaff prepays in which i ring in every now and then to keep them active. I find the signal strength is usually very high as its on 2g most places local to me. spare battery and easy to charge up, no thrills just works.

Last edited:

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I have just upgraded from the S10 to the S21+5G, Battery life is much better, I have far too many apps and need to learn how to use a lot of the stuff on the phone, I am sure if I got rid and turned off some of the stuff I don't use or need, the battery would last atleast 3 days.
At the moment with slightly heavy use and all the stuff running in the background it lasts just short of 2 days

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The Samsung range has changed very little if at all from the S10. I have the S21 and its no different. Flips, folds etc all side. As stated above you can always enable various power saving modes which work well but still the battery life compared to Apple stuff is terrible. That's simply due to the later generation chips that apple have developed where as Samsung have been stuck trying to super charge existing stuff causing heat and battery issues.

Still wont get an apple though haha.

ranger85

Dec 28, 2011
north wales
I agree that Samsung's are still pretty much the same, I'm still on a Samsung S9 and is going great, Anker do some fantastic power banks, I've a small pocket sized one that charges the phone fully twice, and a slightly larger one that's just abit bigger than the phone and charges it fully 4 times

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have a 'Ulephone Armor X7 Pro' - cost me £85 inc postage from China a few years back and has been flawless. Quick enough, good enough screen, battery lasts an easy 4-5 days of reasonable use, waterproof, and rugged. The only downsides are that its relatively thick, a little heavier, and the camera is'good enough' but certainly not in the league of todays flagship phones.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hear my confession Father, for I have sinned - I have an iPhone and love it :)
Nice we can be so quietly smug about it really isn’t it? The ‘others’ can’t help but make anti comment. :yawn::yawn::yawn:

I’ve got a 12 Mini, lovely every day phone, battery lasts fine as I don’t tax it with gaming or watching stuff since the screen and phone are a sensible pocket size.

Got a Samsung S10 Plus that I quite enjoy too. Bought it mainly as a screen to slot into the Mavic drone controller due to its excellent bright screen (essential in sunlight), but it makes a great satnav and travelling phone instead of carting the iPad about.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Nice we can be so quietly smug about it really isn’t it? The ‘others’ can’t help but make anti comment. :yawn::yawn::yawn:
Sorry, Apple is on the list of things I am not allowed to talk about. It joins Audi, BMW, tailored sized clothing and any appearance of a Bat character on TV or in a movie.

I’ve got a 12 Mini, lovely every day phone, battery lasts fine as I don’t tax it with gaming or watching stuff since the screen and phone are a sensible pocket size.
Yeah been thinking along those lines in that I could carry a Fire 7 and a smaller phone to use as a hot spot when I want the bigger screen.

Got a Samsung S10 Plus that I quite enjoy too. Bought it mainly as a screen to slot into the Mavic drone controller due to its excellent bright screen (essential in sunlight), but it makes a great satnav and travelling phone instead of carting the iPad about.
I really like Samsung phones however the S8 plus is sort of perfect except for the battery life.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I have a 'Ulephone Armor X7 Pro' - cost me £85 inc postage from China a few years back and has been flawless. Quick enough, good enough screen, battery lasts an easy 4-5 days of reasonable use, waterproof, and rugged. The only downsides are that its relatively thick, a little heavier, and the camera is'good enough' but certainly not in the league of todays flagship phones.
They make some really interesting phones. They have a couple of models with triple the battery size. The specs of the newer ones are also better than what I have now.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
They make some really interesting phones. They have a couple of models with triple the battery size. The specs of the newer ones are also better than what I have now.
I've had an Ulephone Armor X8 for nearly 18 months now after having a Galaxy 8.

I love the X8 despite it being a pocket brick and it lives up to the blurb of standing knocks from the various times I've dropped it. Only criticism with mine is the waterproof plug for the charging port broke away but that doesn't affect performance so it's not a big issue.

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
I miss my nokia's that could easy last for days. Apparently it was a good idea to sell the only phone-company in Europe to Microsoft... And now we have nothing. No phone-company and no patents. So after some Microsoft phones i now have an Apple

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE