Mobile Advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Samsung X-cover 4 is a robust outdoor phone and works better for street navigation than the smartphones of my colleagues because it's more heat resistant. I put it into a rubber frame and added a protective screen and it survived a few falls.
My brother threw his into a water bucket without issues.

I have no idea if there is a new model out though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The Samsung X-cover 4 is a robust outdoor phone and works better for street navigation than he smartphones of my colleagues because it's more heat resistant. I put it into a rubber frame and added a protective screen and it survived a few falls.
My brother threw his into a water bucket without issues.

I have no idea if there is a new model out though.
The is a pro and a 5. They look interesting.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
IBM - Simon Personal Communicator was the first smart phone. Toshiba invented the tablet.

I think you have to define 'smart phone' as we use them today - the first truly internet enabled (full internet enabled) phone was the iPhone. Admittedly over 15 years after IBM's stone tablet :)

There were 'tablet' machine in the mid 80's; Toshiba didn't enter the market until the early 90's. But to be honest, it's very difficult to work out what was the first tablet; there were so many companies producing stuff.

But, to each their own - I particularly like the technology that I have chosen and use; it suits my purpose with the right level of technical performance, aesthetic appeal, and at a price point I am happy to pay. In fact, I am about to buy a new iPad as some apps/services (such as Dropbox) no longer support my 8 year old mini that hasn't skipped a beat in that time.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Barely use my phone a ZTE so a charge lasts best part of a week.

Do like the Fairphone's, as they have tool-less replacement battery and can buy spare parts like screens. If feel the need to get a new phone it'll most likely be one of them.

Last edited:

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I think you have to define 'smart phone' as we use them today - the first truly internet enabled (full internet enabled) phone was the iPhone. Admittedly over 15 years after IBM's stone tablet :)

There were 'tablet' machine in the mid 80's; Toshiba didn't enter the market until the early 90's. But to be honest, it's very difficult to work out what was the first tablet; there were so many companies producing stuff.

But, to each their own - I particularly like the technology that I have chosen and use; it suits my purpose with the right level of technical performance, aesthetic appeal, and at a price point I am happy to pay. In fact, I am about to buy a new iPad as some apps/services (such as Dropbox) no longer support my 8 year old mini that hasn't skipped a beat in that time.
I love my iPad. It’s a great value workhorse.
I use Files now and pay for additional storage that is shared between the family.
I was tempted by the iPad mini with a GPS and sim card and pair it with a smaller phone.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The iPhone was released in 2007 and the internet was available from 2001 on mobile devices.

Toshiba were the first to make a true tablet. Before that they had tablet screens however a keyboard so more like the yoga devices.

If you live in the Apple-verse the tech is great and very reliable. My problem is in almost every regard I am the customer they decide to not provide for. It is almost like they have decided to not have the things I want and that causes me problems because those choices sometimes become the norm like fixed batteries.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I’m on my second Motorola Moto G phone and I’m very happy with it but it doesn’t have nearly as good reception in our (old thick-walled stone) house as DH’s old small iPhone, despite us being with the same provider, and it’s often struggling with suddenly not being able refresh webpages even when it’s got perfectly good wifi connection, when other devices have no issues whatsoever.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I use a Cat S62. Built like a brick outhouse and good battery life.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A mate had a Nokia n95 ,Sept 2006 vs Jan 2007, or the n90 April 2005. Iirc it did a lot of the things smartphones do, enough to be called a smartphone. Of course appleverse rules mean nothing existed until apple invented it.

If you have any doubt about the earlier n95 being a smartphone, a guy I new about had diagnostic software on his to read car faults and even remap the chips in a basic way. Apparently there was an illegal website you could get such software from or something like that.

OP should look at the various high mah battery phones. Motorola g series went downhill for awhile but there's Samsung verso of tough big battery phone. Iirc the xcover allows replacement battery, there's still some around.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Batteries all seem to start to fail sooner or later. It really is stupidity designing in obsolescence due to battery issues. All my last three smartphones got replaced because I could not live with poor battery performance due to batteries reaching end of life. My old Samsung galaxy s2 had battery issues, always 18 to 24 months for me BTW, but I bought new battery and it was as good as new. That was the longest lasting phone for me by several years.

All phones should sacrifice the ultra thin in favour of a replaceable battery. Which would you want, 7.65mm thickness or a battery that can be replaced making the phone last twice as long?

Reactions: Winnet and Minotaur

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
Batteries all seem to start to fail sooner or later. It really is stupidity designing in obsolescence due to battery issues. All my last three smartphones got replaced because I could not live with poor battery performance due to batteries reaching end of life. My old Samsung galaxy s2 had battery issues, always 18 to 24 months for me BTW, but I bought new battery and it was as good as new. That was the longest lasting phone for me by several years.

All phones should sacrifice the ultra thin in favour of a replaceable battery. Which would you want, 7.65mm thickness or a battery that can be replaced making the phone last twice as long?
I agree, the EU should have never allowed for Nokia to be sold to Microsoft.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The problem is actually with every product. You see it in the outdoor industry as well.
It is not about making the best product for the task, it is about a fashion ideal of how can we make the most money from the idiots.
In the mobile market everyone is trying to follow Apple and their apple verse.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I was looking at the Nokia XR20 which is described as tough already despite not looking bulky.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Active Tab which I have a replacement battery for, has a SIM, GPS, tough, waterproof, ok screen. Not sure if the current version has the same spec but it's been good so far.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The Nokia xr20 is a lower IP rating than most other tough phones. IP65 iirc not IP68 or IP68X IIRC. Of course that may be enough for you.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
I have been using a Xiaomi Poco for the last 6 months. Pretty good phone and the battery life has been excellent. Easily 2-3 days:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE