Conversation whilst purchasing a blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I lost my trusty SAK farmer a couple of days ago, and since I was in London yesterday I decided to get a replacement.

I have a reasonable knowlege of what variants there are, and I asked for something with a saw, a saw is a must.

Anyway I decided to go for one of the larger knives (it is the rucksack but there are a number which are similar) and the guy behind the counter told me it was illegal. That is all he said at first that it was illegal. Now sometimes I am not the sharpest tool out of the box myself when it comes to context and meaning, and I said, "do you mean I can't take it out of the shop? can you post it to me then." He then said "You need a reason for it" and I replied "Taking it home with me would be a good reason" He said, "no you need a reason to use it", and I said "yes it is a replacement for one I lost on my allotment, I want a knife I can use on my allotment, that is why I want the saw and a locking blade is going to be an advantage" He agreed that was a good reason and said "you can't carry it on the street though" I replied that I knew that, I wasn't going to just stick it in my pocket after and walk around London with it, I wanted it in a box and with proof of purchase in case there was any trouble. I said that I had initially misunderstood him and thought he was not going to sell it to me, but it was what I wanted and would he find a box. In the end he couldn't find a box, but wrapped it up in bubble wrap, and I put it away in my bag.

I think the upshot of this, is that he was a responsible shopkeeper and was intent on warning me that the knife I was about to purchase was not street legal as it locked. I suspect there are a lot who don't care if you get caught out, they just want to sell the SAK, leatherman or whatever. It's positive really, he made sure I understood the implications of what I was purchasing, even though I did know already that it was not a knife I would be using for EDC.

The saw is amazing however, I was looking for something like the saw on my lost farmer only bigger, and this is it.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
It sounds more like the shopkeeper is not the sharpest tool in the box and more than somewhat confused about the law regarding blades.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
According to a guy in a local pub, the little sak huntsman in my pocket was illegal because the blade was longer than 1"! .. lol

Sadly as much as it does feel splendid to be completely and utterly correct, it is a somewhat dead end with some people. On the positive side, you got a new toy! woo! :D

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The larger saw is a lot better, i'm asuming it's a forester or soldier 4inch, is that what you ment by "the larger knives". He was quite a good shopkeeper actually wasn't he, he should have pointed out though that it was illegal because a) it locked and b) the blade is longer than 3.5 inches. You and he loose a point.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I'll give the shopkeeper a point, never mind the technicalities because he was at least aware that you cannot carry everything that describes itself as an SAK in public without a reason, there are still a lot of people who do not know that the locking blades on some SAK's and leathermans mean that you can't just put them in your pocket and take them anywhere, there was that case some time back with the pensioner wasn't there. The press made much that it was a humble swiss army knife which everyone knows are legal but forgot to mention it was one of those which had a locking blade and that the pensioner had previously been acting in a threatening manner.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Makes me want to cry that there has to be any kind of "hoo haa" over buying and taking home a swiss army knife :rolleyes:
A very sad sign of the times

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The larger saw is a lot better, i'm asuming it's a forester or soldier 4inch, is that what you ment by "the larger knives". He was quite a good shopkeeper actually wasn't he, he should have pointed out though that it was illegal because a) it locked and b) the blade is longer than 3.5 inches. You and he loose a point.

Do you mean 3" inches..?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Do you mean 3" inches..?

Actually if you really want to be a pedant it's the total length of the cutting edge (all curves included) not the straight line blade length that the law refers too. Ie. You could have a 3 inch long blade with a curved cutting edge which is then illegal because the cutting edge is 4 inches due to the curve.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've got the sak trailmaster, & as you say, the farmer is good, but the slightly larger knife is so much better/usable, & the one I have is one hand opening. I work as a gardener, & carry the trailmaster in a belt sheath in the winter as I wear a jacket, but in the warmer weather I carry a farmer so there isn't any issues.

Rob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually if you really want to be a pedant it's the total length of the cutting edge (all curves included) not the straight line blade length that the law refers too. Ie. You could have a 3 inch long blade with a curved cutting edge which is then illegal because the cutting edge is 4 inches due to the curve.

Does the law actually state that's way to measure, or is that case law?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So what do you give the girls?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that thought. I don't think a knife is something that can be gendered that way. I have 3 nephews and 1 niece, I would like to see all of them grow up understanding how to use a knife properly. There are some who believe that plastic/blunt/"Safe" knives like these for children are counter productive in teaching them safe knife use. I'm no expert and am still undecided about it. What I do know is that both boys and girls should be treated the same on this one. Just like with lego...

Personally I carry a Svord Peasant Mini with me everywhere (usually in my bra...). My boss was very surprised when I pulled it out to start opening a sack of malt. "Is that legal" cue brief description of knife law in the UK.

Being an Arboriculture student I often carry a saw with me (useful for gathering bits of tree to ask my lecturer to help me ID), I carry my student ID as well, and hope that counts as a valid excuse.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE