Conversation whilst purchasing a blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I bought some of the kids plastic versions to give to friends of newborn boys.
Like this….
http://www.wickeduncle.co.uk/presen...nife-plastic?gclid=CJOyoaDciMYCFWvJtAod6wIAiw

I'm starting to wonder if that's 'illegal' :rolleyes:

M

Sorry to derail the thread but I have just seen Toddy's post and have just ordered one of the above for my nieces 1st birthday - Great find!

As to the shopkeeper its really hard to grasp the concept and manner he offered this advise. If it was genuine concern for his customer and making sure you the potential results of purchasing then credit to him but if it was another uniformed ramble about knives them perhaps he shouldn't stock them.
It does sound like he could have worded things better to prevent any confusion.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
You say you were in London, I hope not at the Victorinox store. Would hope they wouldn't be in such a flap.

Now that Victorinox have merged the Wenger product lines, the largest saws are on the RangerGrips

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
There's a degree of ambiguity in knife law from what I've gleaned from the direct gov website. I think most police would use a degree of common sense so long as you do. Same way none of us would think twice of taking a Stanley knife to work but wouldn't dream of taking one into a nightclub for example. I was once advised that the knife I was using for work was classed as a prohibited weapon (qualified as a gravity knife) because you could flick the blade out and it was on a carabiner apparently also qualifying it as a trench knife. Only way I saw it was a knife I could open with 1 hand and would clip onto my belt loop, both of witch where a concern. And the officer still didn't confiscate it because it was for work use (he was doing something official where I worked and came to have a natter with the lads) so just shows they do have brains. The seller on Amazon however still selling them you could argue doesn't!

YKS Multi Function Hiking Rock Climbing Survival Gear Screwgate Carabiner Knife Tool https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GKAEGY0/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_w4XEvbXSRJW5N

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's stated in s139 clause 3 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139

Thanks. It would seem that also means the non sharpened bit between the "cutting edge" and the handle does not count.

There's a degree of ambiguity in knife law from what I've gleaned from the direct gov website. I think most police would use a degree of common sense so long as you do. Same way none of us would think twice of taking a Stanley knife to work but wouldn't dream of taking one into a nightclub for example. I was once advised that the knife I was using for work was classed as a prohibited weapon (qualified as a gravity knife) because you could flick the blade out and it was on a carabiner apparently also qualifying it as a trench knife..........

What on earth does a carabiner have to do with a trench knife? Either version?

1) WWI Mark1 Trench Knife of 1918:

1918%20Trench%20Knife%20210704.jpg

WWII through Vietnam War Mark 3 Trench Knife: (replaced by M1 Carbine bayonet after WWII but still issued until Vietnam era) (reproduction)

on-8155.jpg

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Better images of actual issue ones:

M1918_Trench_Knife.jpg

Can't seem to get the image of the Mk3 to load.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Better images of actual issue ones:

M1918_Trench_Knife.jpg

Can't seem to get the image of the Mk3 to load.

This thread has drifted a bit, by no stretch of the imagination could anything currently manufactured by Victorinox or Wenger be described as a Trench Knife, purveyors to the military though they may be.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Yes but a point OR blade not AND. A pointy scewdriver, ice pick bradawl etc arn't sharp, but the pointy length is over 3 inches and fixer so a no no anyway.

More points please.

Well whatever, any conversation about the length of the blade however you measure it is null and void if the blade locks.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Well whatever, any conversation about the length of the blade however you measure it is null and void if the blade locks.

Well he was right, and in my opinion correct in warning you even in the way he did, he made it very clear the fact you couldn't just carry it down the road every day without a distinct purpose.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This thread has drifted a bit, by no stretch of the imagination could anything currently manufactured by Victorinox or Wenger be described as a Trench Knife, purveyors to the military though they may be.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking also.

Yes but a point OR blade not AND. A pointy scewdriver, ice pick bradawl etc arn't sharp, but the pointy length is over 3 inches and fixer so a no no anyway.

More points please.

Hadn't thought about those. Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE