Compact telescopic monocular. Recommendations?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Howdy!

Does anyone have any experience with monoculars? I'd like one to take with me when I take the dog for a walk. I've seen lots of wildlife and I'd like a closer look! My eyesight is a bit poop so I thought a monocular wouldnbe a nice touch.

Only thing is I have no idea what to buy and where to buy it.. I did have some big binoculars ages ago but traded them as I didn't use them and can see the more compact monocular being handy.

Any help would be great,

Cheers.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Been using the Docter 8x21 monocular for a few years now and i really rate it.

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

Small, light and a great clear image

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Iv got a visionary one that's pretty good think it was about £45, to be honest though I'd go for some small binos, easily fit in a coat pocket and are a lot better to use, a £100 mono will probably struggle to keep up with a £10 set of bins!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Barska do about the cheapest, the optics are ok but it's not the toughest thing there is. A friend managed to snap something internal in mine so it no longer focuses properly, which is a shame as one of the biggest advantages of a mono over bins is you can hand them to someone and they don't immediately set about adjusting it for themselves!

While the Barska is cheap, I'd not buy another due to the fragility - a great way to decide if a monocular is for you though as I think mine was about £15 delivered.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi
I use the Opticron 8x32 long eye relief monocular after reading several threads on here (search on monocular or opticron).

Its really good and easier to carry than binos. I've tried smaller cheaper ones but much prefer this one. The tiny Docter one is pretty good too - on my shopping list.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have the opticron monocular too. Great bit of kit. Will never be as good as using both eyes but very handy when weight and bulk is an issue,.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Opticron here - excellent and so tiny it lives in the chest pocket of my ventile until I need it - I can't be bothered carrying even compact bins all the time, but the monocular is so small its fine. Good image quality too.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
+1 on the opticron, had mine since the late eighties or early 90's, love it to bits but never quite got around to getting a hard case for it. Always meant to.

Herself had it professionally cleaned once when It was left for 3 weeks in a pile of wet clothes at home being steamed and it fogged up inside. Otherwise had no trouble with it at all.

i did put a couple of idiot cords on the lens covers, tied to the lanyard ring, otherwise I'd have lost them long ago.

ATB

Tom

Correction it was 89, I recall sitting on the Students Union bar balcony at Keele that summer using it to lech at my future wife from a safe distance...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE