Cold Places

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Don't come up to scotland it is bloomin roasting (40ish miles north of aberdeen) nice in the winter though apart from it being dark most of the time!:

Definatley the same with the heat. If your too cold you can always put a jumper on, if your too hot you can get down to your pants then that's about it. I feel a little self-conscious walking around in my pants though:)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thing is, in cold environments you spend most of your time trying to keep warm (look at Wayland's picture), and in hot environments you spend most of your time trying to keep cool. :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't do heat very well, feel like a flu ridden penguin in a microwave today[QUOTE =Teepee]

:D :D
Brilliant :D truly inspired bit of writing there :)

cheers,
M............who watered the garden tonight and played like a five year old with a hose :D :eek:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thing is, in cold environments you spend most of your time trying to keep warm (look at Wayland's picture), and in hot environments you spend most of your time trying to keep cool. :rolleyes:

I was more than comfortable.

I spent two nights there without a fire but I eventually decided to have one because I'd collected loads of wood and I wanted to save my stove fuel. ( Had to make snowball soup.)

The nights I camped out in Jokkmokk I didn't bother with a fire either.

In the cold you can dress for the conditions. In the heat there's only so much you can do before you scare the horses.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I don't doubt you were comfortable. You'd be a fool if you weren't, and you are far too experienced for that. I'm just saying you had to dress like that to stay warm, not that it was a bad thing.

I can enjoy weather whatever it is, hot, cold, wet or dry. I don't do arctic environments but that is more down to my need for green (as opposed to white) and preference for places with invertebrates.

Each to their own. :)

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Not a fan of this bad weather either. Looking forward to another trip to Finland.

DSC02414.JPG

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I hate the heat! spend all mine time on holiday sun dodging!

The best cold place I have been is when we stayed close to the Wendell Beckwith Cabins, it was one week after ice off and a hurricane had just blown through the place! What an awesome place to have an adventure!

LOL. You're going to have to explain that one! Hurricanes (true hurricanes) are created from heat (energy) and are killed by cold.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been up since not long after five, and it was already 16degC :sigh:
I have the front windows and the back door open trying to create a draught while I did the ironing in what is likely to be the only cool of the day.

It's lovely though being able to potter around in my garden, watching the woodpeckers run up the gable ends. I think they're after spiders who nest in the harling.

HWMBLT is away up to Aviemore for a walk later on today. He takes the heat well though and is already as brown as leather :) me ? my freckles are slowly joining up into the classic fair skinned sunstained look :eek:

Have a good day :)

Mary

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've been up since not long after five, and it was already 16degC :sigh: ......

LOL. You do realize that's 7.2c colder than standard room temperature? And more than 10.7c colder than World Standard Temperature according to NOAA?

Our high today is supposed to be 88f (31c) with a heat index (allowance for what the humidity makes it actually feel like) about 10 degrees higher.
And the low tonight 73f (22.8c)

That's actually pretty comfortable weather.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What a bunch of blooming moaners:rolleyes: 'Its too hot' 'Its too cold' 'its too wet' embrace the changes in weather, its pretty dull living in a 'steady' climate. I like the full range of temperatures, just dress right and you'll be fine. If its very hot a fan and a stiff G&T helps though :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rik it's 24degC here right now at eight o'clock at night. I'm sitting next to an open window, and I have every window in the house open to try to find a cool breeze. It's so warm that even the pigeons have given up and are roosting in the grass! and there's a squirrel asleep on the corner of the gable next door :)

If I wanted to live in a hot climate I'd head South, but right now this is miserable, even at night it's too blooming hot and muggy.
Moan ? yup :) I'm moaning......but I'm away outside to play with the hose and soak everything in sight :D me included.

Mary

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Rik it's 24degC here right now at eight o'clock at night. I'm sitting next to an open window, and I have every window in the house open to try to find a cool breeze.....

You say that like 24c is warm? :) However, I think I've spotted your problem; you have all the windows open? Close them! Open they only let out the air conditioning.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What a bunch of blooming moaners:rolleyes: 'Its too hot' 'Its too cold' 'its too wet' embrace the changes in weather, its pretty dull living in a 'steady' climate. I like the full range of temperatures, just dress right and you'll be fine. If its very hot a fan and a stiff G&T helps though :)

So Hawaii would be boring then?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE