Cold Places

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Been 31-32c out the back today but thats because its a bit of a 'sun trap' real temp around 28c which is fine. For me its starting to get uncomfortable when its over 38c - 40c and humidity starts getting over 50%

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My weather station says that it's 32.9 degC just now and humidity is 46%

I don't know if that's good or bad, usually we think of humidity as, "It's damp", "It's dreich", "It's smirring", "It's chucking it down" :rolleyes:

I do know it's too damned hot and it's not even noon yet.

atb,
Mary

46% humidity is neither good nor bad. Between 15% and 50% is a reasonable average. The desert Southwest is around or below 10% (low) whereas coastal regions here are usually well above 60%- 80% Texas encompasses both extremes so a Texan's perception would depend on just what part of the state he/she was from.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Been 31-32c out the back today but thats because its a bit of a 'sun trap' real temp around 28c which is fine. For me its starting to get uncomfortable when its over 38c - 40c and humidity starts getting over 50%

Yeah, I can see that. I'd still be reasonably comfortable at that but probably wouldn't be if I were raised there.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My weather station says that it's 32.9 degC just now and humidity is 46%.....

I just ran those figures through the calculator and the heat index (what it actually feels like) is 35c. Only a couple of degrees hotter than it really is.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
46% humidity is neither good nor bad. Between 15% and 50% is a reasonable average. The desert Southwest is around or below 10% (low) whereas coastal regions here are usually well above 60%- 80% Texas encompasses both extremes so a Texan's perception would depend on just what part of the state he/she was from.

It usually hovers in the high 70's and 80's here, so for us it's very dry indeed just now. I just don't know how that does with the heat too. 100% is not uncommon according to my weatherstation.
We catch the rainfall from the Atlantic and even now the grass is damp to try to sit on. We're inland too, south but on the Clyde side of the Forth/Clyde river systems.
http://ukclimateprojections.defra.gov.uk/media.jsp?mediaid=87923&filetype=pdf

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just ran those figures through the calculator and the heat index (what it actually feels like) is 35c. Only a couple of degrees hotter than it really is.

It topped out yesterday at just above 40degC. Robbie in Northern Ireland said his was up to 38C so it's getting a wide spread.

cheers,
M

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Do you know just what your humidity level is?
Hi Santaman,
I can't say exactly but when I read your post my local met station (Valentia-coastal) was, as of 9pm last night, 91%.
Most of Ireland's met stations are showing humidity in excess of 85% as of now (5am). This is pretty typical for the past week or so.
My body was still in water deficit all day today.
Happy trail...torc.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Santaman,
I can't say exactly but when I read your post my local met station (Valentia-coastal) was, as of 9pm last night, 91%.
Most of Ireland's met stations are showing humidity in excess of 85% as of now (5am). This is pretty typical for the past week or so.
My body was still in water deficit all day today.
Happy trail...torc.

I plugged the higher humidity (91%) into the converter along with your earlier temperature of 28c and came up with a heat index of 93f (34c) Hot, but not really debilitatingly so. Definitely dehydrating!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE