Something new for family holiday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not sure if this is the right place in the forum but here goes.

I'm hoping to get some good ideas from the creative bunch on this forum. We're looking for a short break activity holiday that is good for adults (2 parents) and one very young child (pre-school). We're walkers, cyclists, car campers, etc. Got kit for everything from carrying it on our back through carrying it on bikes, bike trailers and cars. Tents from tiny to large. Tarps? I've had a few, well 4 but you never know they tend to breed I find. Stoves? Don't go there! Seriously don't know how.many.

So we're kitted out for a lot of outdoor activities, but we need ideas for something different. One trouble is it'll be UK winter or Autumn before we go away. Young child.sitting around not doing much would get cold. Ideally something active for all of us.

Does anyone have ideas?

All ideas we have don't suit. Canoe camping in Scotland, too cold for child and he can't swim. Boat trip along canal, it just feels cold to me. Walking holiday, hmmm, too wet and miserable unless we get lucky. Trip to cold country for winter fun, northern lights, xc skiing, snow showing, etc. Scandinavian countries are notoriously expensive, flights aren't cheap, we'll probably need to kit out and I've never tried skiing before. If skiing is as slippery as ice skating I'll never be able to do it. I've.got great balance except when things get slippery.

Brynglas

Hi Paul, a trip I,did with the family last year might be of interest.

There's a Dutch organisation called Vrienden op die Fiets ( Friends of the Bikes). It costs about €10 to join as a family and this gives you access to Literally thousands of accommodation options across Europe but predominantly the Netherlands, Belgium etc.

These accommodation options are varied and can be a spare room, a granny flat or a full blown b&b as well as something a bit different such as houseboats etc. Once you're a member you only pay €18 pp per night to stay bed and breakfast.

I did the trip with my wife and 11 year old twin girls, my sister in law and her five year old son who rode on the back of my cargo bike.

What we did was drive to Hull with the bikes, parked the car and took the ferry to Zeebrugge as foot passengers. We then spent ten days on a route through Belgium and The Netherlands on fantastic traffic free cycle routes and staying at Vrienden op de Fiets accommodation, all of which were excellent. We eventually arrived at Rotterdam where we took the ferry back to Hull.

If this is of interest and you'd like more info just let me know.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE