Cold Places

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beansprout

Tenderfoot
I hate summer. Hot and Clammy. Urh.

I much prefer to be wrapped up and cold than being too hot and ..hot.

I'm thinking northern scotland. Finland/norway/sweden. bloody ANTARCTICA.

SO. If you're like me, give me your favourite cold holiday spots. And if you know them, rough temps and flight prices!

IM TOO HOT GET ME OUT OF HERE

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You have my sympathy!
I too am not good at hot - especially hot and humid - but revel in the cold (hammocking at -10 is fine by me :) )
I advise you to avoid the jungle ..... but I found the desert conditions on the edge of Namibia OK as the temp fell at night :)
I rely enjoyed my recent holiday on Orkney that was a nice even 11 degree most of the time :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Favorite? That's hard to narrow down. Here's a short list:
-Colorado Rockies
-Mount Wheeler, Nevada (especially in deer camp)
-Mt. Charleston, Nevada
-Cold Lake, Alberta

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
whats wrong with you all its to cold now its to hot enjoy what were getting as we dont have much of it to start with lol bring it on while i turn the fan up ha ha regards dave:lmao::mosquitos::sun:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Cold-Camping-under-the-Northern-Lights.jpg

This'll do me.

Arctic Norway

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just siesta'd away much of the afternoon; it's too blooming hot here to do anything :(

The American shotgun house idea sounds good right now; the ones with the through going draught.

Feet in a bucket of really cold water's a good idea too :) maybe dangling them in a burn while sitting on a rock under a tree :cool:

They say that our ancestors worked wonders in the mornings and the evenings, but in the heat of the day hid their heads under the shadow of their feet; I reckon that's precedence for getting our feet up and having a siesta :D clearly it's traditional :D

M

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
There are some really nice parts, of the former Yugoslavia worth seeking shade. A Balken winter is worth trying at least once, softy plus wooly pulley all the time.
Lot to be said for ice bucket full of irn bru just now.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I hate summer. Hot and Clammy. Urh......

As I get older (and fatter) I like it cooler as well. But it helps if you learn HOW to enjoy the heat. I've always found it best to be near water: a good trip downriver on an inner tube, on the beach with a cold margarita, snorkeling on a reef, etc.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Lots of sympathy from me, this heat sucks.

I don't do heat very well, feel like a flu ridden penguin in a microwave today. Managed 2 hours of work before falling asleep at dinner under a tree.

Dreaming of frozen nostrils all day.

For a cooling experience, take a look at this vid;

[video=youtube;RyUf7r_9yNs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyUf7r_9yNs[/video]

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Being one of the larger gents I too suffer when it's hot, saying that this silly bugger has been sat out all day fishing and is now suffering with a burnt neck and right arm. I suit the colder climate much better and would love somewhere like British Columbia.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Being one of the larger gents I too suffer when it's hot, saying that this silly bugger has been sat out all day fishing and is now suffering with a burnt neck and right arm. I suit the colder climate much better and would love somewhere like British Columbia.

I spent an hour this morning poolside watching my youngest grandson (a few weeks shy of 2 years old) with his dad at "parents and tots" swimming lessons (temperature at 10:00 am was about 92f) Likewise suitably burned. And I'll be doing it for two weeks. LOL

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I hate the heat! spend all mine time on holiday sun dodging!

The best cold place I have been is when we stayed close to the Wendell Beckwith Cabins, it was one week after ice off and a hurricane had just blown through the place! What an awesome place to have an adventure!

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Hot isle in work 30C today easy but would agree that it was higher (we are "eco friendly and do cool isle cooling") and walking into the corridor to get the lift in work felt like walking into a blast furnace. But the office is very cool in more ways than one and I have a massive fan next to me so I don't feel it till I walk to the trainstation on the way home.

Also Beansprout, for a second seeing your avatar pic I thought you where Alice Robberts....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE