cold day hot porridge

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Normally a desert spoon of Golden Syrup, but last Nov-Dec I was camping above 1800 feet for three weeks and I found that I was getting through a tin of syrup every three days!

On top of that I found myself eating half a pound of cheese melted into my baked beans. Absolutely gorgeous.

The appetite is back to normal now but I'm off again later this month. :)

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Didn't care for porridge when I was a kid as my mam would put salt in it and just water, as I grew older I began putting sugar and milk in it, nowadays, most every morning, it's water, porridge with some currants in and a touch of sugar and a wee bit of milk. Sometimes I put a good blob of honey in it, lovely stuff and it's good for you.

Summertime it's mainly muesli, cold milk and sugarless.

greensurfingbear

1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water, boiled for 2 minutes eaten out of a bowl I made myself with a spoon I made myself. Nothing added these days, I'm on a diet.

You eating wall paper paste then lol

I like porridge a variety of ways made with milk. My current fav is adding coconut and raisins with a sprinkle of sugar or spoon of honey :)

At a work conference I chatted with a colleague who's mum once scolded her for eating porridge with milk and sugar like the english, saying that porridge should be made using just salt and water. Her response was mother I eat porridge the way I like it not the way the English forced us to eat it.

Orric

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Imagine, if you will, the sweetest taste on earth... That's how I like mine. Honey, golden syrup, sugar, it's all good. As is maple syrup.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I make mine with milk too, and a bit of sugar.

it really is the best thing cold mornings. These days easy to prepare in the microwave too.

Alpen do a hot brekfast range, if you are posh.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Made with skimmed milk and served with added dried fruit and sliced banana. Eaten from a ceramic bowl with a stainless steel spoon. Best served with a side helping of bacon, sausage, black pudding, fried bread, fried eggs, tomatoes, beans, 'shrooms, toast and lashings of tea.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Milk, sugar then drop a square of hazelnut chocolate in and stir.
That, and a fresh coffee with plenty of sugar and I'm good again after yet another awful nights sleep.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I must confess that in my first post I was assuming that we're talking about oatmel (all posts so far seem to confirm it)

However if we're talking about hot cereals in general then preference forits is quite different; Where I prefer my oatmeal sweet and with fruit, etc. I prefer the grits savory. Butter and salt. Maybe shredded cheese and maybe black pepper or a touch of powdered cayenne.

Sometimes I make a casserole from grits by adding shredded cheese, chopped spinach, and diced ham or bacon (all these igredients cooked before mixing) and then a raw beaten egg to bind. Next turn it out into a casserole pan, sprinke with a bit more shredded cheese, and bake about 20-35 minutes.

Then there's grits ya-ya: Grits with shrimp (prawns) peeled and mixed into the salted grits with shredded cheese and Cajun seasoning.

Last edited:

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
over the past month Ive been eating porridge half/half salt and sugar. but the strange thing is I wake up craving it, im sure its addictive ?

recipe = one measure of oats, one of milk, one of water, 3 mins in the microwave simples

You know we have just started eating oats and I feel the same!!
Alan

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Pholland

Apr 26, 2012
Bognor Regis
I use one cup of oats to two cups of water and heat in a pan. It doesn't take long and you can keep stirring it in order to get the perfect consistency. It also gives you a few minutes to put the kettle on and get the nuts and honey ready. I don't use milk anymore and can't say I notice the difference in fact I prefer it now. Pinch of salt and a nice tea spoon of honey. Can't beat it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi All,

Caught a few mins of Ade Edmondsons "Ade in Britain" yesterday and he was making an oatmeal dish called "Lumpy Tums". Basicaly balls of moistened oatmeal boiled in water then served with warm milk and honey/syrup.
Wasn't paying attention at the time but it seems a lot cleaner way of making porridge (no glutious pans). Is there a specific type of oatmeal and how long to boil for?
Google isn't playing the game with this one so hopefully there's a Derbyshire resident out there who can help me with this potentially clean bushcraft porridge recipe?
Cheers
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE