Climate Change???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Reading through that link it's obviously been written by 2 different people - one in the US the other the UK - I would suggest that whoever posted it there has lifted it from another site and made their own additions.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that things are changing, how fast and where it will lead I have no idea, but unproven drivel like that post doesn't do any favours when trying to convince others of the reality of climate change.

On the other hand doesn't mean he's wrong though LOL

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
leon-1 said:
Keith did it mention lead in the atmosphere, how efficient it is in comparison to CO2 for instance, at destroying parts of our atmosphere :shock:.

Not that I've noticed...

There is mention of iron in dust blown off the land. If I remember correctly (I haven't got the book with me), the idea is that at high latitudes, there is this nutrient-rich environment, with high levels of sunlight during the summer, yet the plankton reproduces slowly. The theory is that iron is missing. If the land dries out, more iron-bearing dust is blown off the land towards the ocean, triggering an increase in plankton, and in their CO2 take-up.

Keith.

leon-1

Sorry Keith, that was me getting my wires crossed, it wasn't lead ( just the fact that before 1923 there was virtually no lead in the atmosphere and that 90% that is currently in the atmosphere is attributable to vehicle emmissions. There is also the fact that in the average American the lead levels in thier blood streams are approximately 625 times higher than those living a hundred years ago), it was in fact CFC's and that 1 kilo of CFC's is capable of destroying 70,000 kilos of Ozone.

Sorry my mistake :)

Strange fact, the scientist that put lead into petrol was the same guy that came up with CFC's for use in refrigeration.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm not sure about causes and effects of climatic change so I'm sitting on the fence with regards to global warming....all I would say is that we as humans are unable to control:
1) Earth quakes
2) tides
3) storms
4) Rainfall (although I did hear something once about a Paul McCartney concert were they did something or other to make it rain somehwere else...sorry can't remember the details).
5) High and Low Temps
6) Cloud cover
7) Volcanos
8) The gulf stream
9) any other major enviroment occurance.

So what makes us think that we can effect or control "full on" climatic changes?

Any hill walker that's been on a mountain in a storm or sailer that's been at sea in a large swell knows he has no control over what the enviroment does and all he can do is go with it and hope it lets him live this time.

I think on a larger scale that's how I see global warming... No matter what/who or how/why it started it certainly seems to have started or indeed as a cycle continued (but goodness know the final climatic climax, if there is one) and all we can do is go with it and hope it lets us (humans) live.
If that's the plan old mother nature has for us and our planet then fighting it is as futile as swimming up a fast following river just because out cosy cabin is that way and we want to get back to it....if we turn and float with the current maybe there will be a nicer spot to live further down stream or maybe there won't...the point is that fighting it won't change it, we'll just end up knackered and downstream anyway.

We can all do our bit by turning off light switches, turning down the central heating etc and I do practice that but to me at least it's about making me feel less guilty of wastage as opposed to honestly believeing that I'm making a difference globally. I hate waste, as a child I eat a full dinner plate if I was hungey or not as I couldn't stand to see food thrown away...it's not a greed thing, it's a waste thing and I'm still the same now.

Blimey....what a waffle! leon, there's loads of fungus about near me which I would have expected to have gone by now...still, means I can keep eating it for long...thanks :)

I do miss the nice crisp cold winters we used to have though.

Cheers all,

Phil.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I watched an hour long program on the Science Channel about the super volcanos and if one erupts, how it would affect the Earth. Evidently it would be catastrophic of a global scale, no matter where the eruption takes place. Enough debris and ash would be cast into the atmosphere that sunlight would be blocked long enough to cause the Earths temperature to cool by 5 degrees Celsius on average.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
RV, that just re-affirms what I said below....man cannot control nature, it'll do whatever it wants to do and we either have to go with it or fail fighting against it..... happy thoughts :eek:):

Now where did I put that woolly pullover....... :wink:

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Gary said:
That and more Kieth, I was sent a very doom laden acrobat file copy of a book ALL ABOUT what might happen and bearing in mind present events 'over oil' it makes perfect sense!

Anyone want a copy I'll mail it to them.

PM Sent, Gary.

I follow this sort of stuff with great interest.

Few people seem to realise that coal, not oil, is the big polluter. Recent articles sparked by coal mining accidents in China make for interesting reading.

China's industrial boom uses up an enormous amount of coal. I think that there are many analogies between the current Chinese economy and that of Britain during the Industrial revolution of the late 18th to 19th centuries (when a single pit in Northumberland produced half the world's coal production).

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE