Hmm...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I'm sitting atop the Downs right now, having a brew break.
On my walk I have seen several butterflies - tortoise shell, red admiral, large white, clouded yellow. There are still common centaurys in flower (the scarlet pimpernels were still out this time last week but seem to have shut up shop now). This morning, on one of the trees at the bottom of the garden was what looked like a garden warbler - far from 100% on that ID.

Just seems wrong.
It's now late(ish) November. These things should have disappeared a month ago, yet still here.

Anyone else seen things that shouldn't still be around?

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We were just talking about that an hour ago.
We're still picking fresh strawberries, not the wild ones, but cultivated ones, and raspberries, and my roses are in bud again, and the heather has flowered again too.
Loads of insects about, I found a ladybird on the washing the other day. They're usually asleep by now, but there are still greenfly and whitefly on the beech hedge, so I'm presuming they're finding food.

If Winter comes in hard after this, it's going to hurt. Lots of the trees have swollen buds already.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, we've noticed the same - loads of stuff still around that we don't expect to see including red admirals and warblers.

Interestingly though, we're not getting moth species particularly late; we're only trapping the winter species now (with such imaginative names as 'December Moth', 'November Moth', and 'Winter Moth' :)).

But, at the same time, we are getting some of the expected winter bird visitors like the Redwings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE