Climate Change???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Neil1 and I were out on Dartmoor this weekend and one thing stuck in my mind more than anything else.

We were seeing things that should not be there at this time of year, plants still had fruit on them, Fungi that should of died of by now still happily growing (we saw a couple of the largest field mushrooms that I have seen and what looked like new ones coming up).

Also there are still a lot of insects that the cold would of normally killed off or would of migrated by now (I saw a Red Admiral, which now are starting to overwinter in the south of England).

Then on Monday I saw some visitors from Africa (Snowy Egrets), who appear to have made the Teign Estuary their home from home. They seemd quite happy and were fishing not too far from the resident Grey Herons that are dispersed along the shores of the Teign.

Has anyone else noticed visitors to these shores that should of gone by now or something strange in the enviroment that normally wouldn't be there at this time of year?

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i got some field mushrooms yesterday which had normally gone by now.. i think many of us have noticed this in the last 2-3 years.. with the swallows arriving earlier and leaving later every year! its very worrying

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yep still have trees with green leafs and fruit on the trees. I am still sleeping with the window open and the regularly kick the summer blanket off.

It is a little disconcerting and I am really wish we had a proper winter. Last year we had on day of frost and and really bad thunder and lighting storm in January (if I remember correctly) that would not have been out of place in the US. Very unusual. :?:

James

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
When was the last bonfire night that you didn't need a warm hat and gloves to watch the fireworks because you certainly didn't need them last week? It is getting warmer but I don't know that it is all to do with human induced global warming. We are still on the way out of an ice age in geological terms so it is supposed to be getting warmer.

Bill

leon-1

Very true Bill, but what is worrying me more than everything else is the way that things have accelerated, I have been looking at some of the research from the BAS and the world wildlife fund as well. Although they tend to say that most things are inconclusive there is a definite trend.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
today i am wearing shorts and tea shirts (ok so i do that rain or shine) but theres not a cloud in the sky.. its November.. honest..

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I am trying very hard to measure my words and not overstep the rules of BCUK about political postings. Whenever a resource collapses, ie fisheries it is considered some temporary abnormality that will soon right itself. When it doesn't, scapegoats are created such as pinnepeds that after millenia are suddenly devastating the stock, or Alaskan vs Canadian fishermen taking an unfair share, or sport fishermen, or native americans with hereditary rights. Global Warming is also going through this self denial. It's a climactic abnormality that requires at least 2 generations study, or it's normal and part of the receding Ice Age. Well, there is an environmental concept called THE PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE. Simply put, you don't mess with something you can't replace. The great Iroquis Confederacy had a principle of the 7 generations. Nothing was done without considering it's future inpact on the next 7. Our global society can't even be polite to the ever increasing people bumping shoulders with each other everyday.I don't like what is happening. I want to go down to the zoo and botanical garden, prostrate myself before my fellow travelors and ask forgiveness. :?:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I think your feels are shared by allot of people here including myself. The impact we have on the global environment is become more evident everyday unfortunately the small minority in the positions to change things are so detached from reality they are blind.

I have this feeling something big is on our door step and we are ill prepared for it. :cry:

James

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
"By the twitching in my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."- Ray Bradbury. In another century nobody will care one bit about our silly ethnic squabbles, half forgotten wars or hand wringing social issues like gay marriage. They will look back at us with an oath at the ecological wasteland we created.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Ok guys I see what you are saying but it is partly down to what you mean by 'ecological wasteland we created'. There have been several times in the history of the earth when over 70% of all life became extinct in one event. It is not the earth that will die but the climatic conditions change so dramatically that what can live on the earth changes as well. I think people are concerned that we will destroy the earth but really we may destroy the ability of the human race to live on the earth but it will most defiantly survive long after we are gone.

I don't think this gives us the right to pollute and use resources as if we don't care but I do think the global warming is far from proven and if you want to worry then disease will probably get us long before global warming ever does.

I don't mean to offend or argue but this is my opinion.

Bill

leon-1

Bill, I think we are all entitled to our own opinions and this is one of the things that make forums such a great place because there are so many different views and opinions.

I was trying to find out what people were noticing, changes in their local areas to the flora and fauna, not just the unseasonal weather that we are having.

I find it as interesting to see peoples reactions to the question as well, do we right it off, do we get worked up over it or do we just sit back and remain stoic about it all.

One of the things that worries me is getting eaten alive by bugs that should of been killed off by more inclement weather and is this going to continue or get worse :eek:):

I am looking at short term as much as long term climate change and the effects that it may have on us now and in the future, so all replies on the subject are welcome. :wink:

B

bombadil

Amen to that, mate....something's on our doorstep alright, and it 'aint pretty. But that's why we're bushcrafters, right?? I think we should drop Mr G.W. Bush in the middle of the arctic where forests which have been solid with permafrost thousands of years are now collapsing in on themselves because it's all melting beneath them, and them present him again with a pen and the Kyoto protocol.....
All this has happened before, though, and I'm sure it will again, with or without us and our poisons, how truly humbling to witness....

jamesdevine said:
I think your feels are shared by allot of people here including myself. The impact we have on the global environment is become more evident everyday unfortunately the small minority in the positions to change things are so detached from reality they are blind.

I have this feeling something big is on our door step and we are ill prepared for it. :cry:

James

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
bombadil what a smashing idea mate

maybe some intrepid explorer will dig him out a glacier in 5,000 years time and draw all sorts of conclusions about primitive life forms from their find

but seriously....

earth will survive whatever comes, of that i am fairly sure

civilisation on the other hand may not

this autumn has been less windy than those i remember, usually the leaves have been stripped off the trees by a gale by now

and here in the south of scotland we have yet to have a real decent frost, but there is a definite nip in the air today and snow muttered on weather forecasts

it is not exactly tropical though

my personal take on climate change..............

a lot of scaremongering goes on by learned "professors"

( ya know the kinda guys who told galileo flight is impossible and the earth is flat )

on a geological scale we have not been watching the weather very long

sure a lot of stuff is possible, ............so is life on mars it seems

i guess the best any of us can do is to be prepared, and be ready to react to changes which we can now do nothing about ( lets face it fossil fuel burning goes back to the industrial revolution )

........ and if we can, be kind to our planet.

there will always be litter louts etc, best i can do is pick up after them sometimes

Tant

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
This change has been comming on for a time and finger pointing at one person or group will only blind us to reality. The inevitable force of change is upon and it is how WE react to it that will determine our blending in with the changes that are here and to come. We need to adapt to the changes as best as we can without accelerating them furter if that is now possible. Enjoy it because we will not soon stop it. Learn from it as not to repeat it.
just athought

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think I got a bit serious there for a minute Leon. To get to your point of the question I meant what I said about bonfire night being very mild this year. I've been in a short sleeved rugby shirt all day today and not been cold at all and this is the middle of November. I remember 10 years ago there being snow in Southampton in Febuary but that would be a freak event now.

The irony is that if global warming persists and is as predicted Britain will get much colder rather than warmer so this could be even more of the calm before the storm.

Bill

Shrinking polar ice caps and copper age men melting out of glaciers after 5300 years. Something coming indeed. Are you boys familiar with the pole shift theory? This notion goes a long way toward explaining sudden climatic changes and how mammoth could be flash frozen with green vegetation still in their digestive tracts. Also consider the Mayan calendar - it consists of cyles within cycles ...is extremely accurate and goes back in time over 5000 years. It also ends in December 2012..... :yikes:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I think we may be slightly relieved come saturday (possibly). Cold winds from the norths as appose to warm southerly winds. I haven't noticed it being warmer (apart from the last couple of days.
I know it is an issue, but i also think winter will survive for a good few years yet, i hope.

We'll see if a bit of cold comes in the next few days.

hootchi

Settler
A bit off from the theories but I read in new scientist that a chemist is planning to trek across the arctic sea on skis and in a canoe for the first time, to make the world know about global warming. That would be an epic adventure so he must feel quite strongly that we nweed to do something about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE